Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major City is the closest that COULD possibly follow in the footsteps of Detroit's fate?
Baltimore 8 4.91%
Memphis 15 9.20%
Philadelphia 9 5.52%
Hartford Conneticaut 1 0.61%
Trenton 2 1.23%
Jersey City 0 0%
Birmingham 9 5.52%
Chicago 33 20.25%
Atlanta 15 9.20%
Miami 1 0.61%
Boston 0 0%
New Orleans 7 4.29%
Camden,New Jersey 35 21.47%
Jacksonville ,Florida 1 0.61%
Knoxville,Tennesee 2 1.23%
Little Rock ,Arkansas 1 0.61%
Other 24 14.72%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wrong, I am telling the truth that some people are afraid to hear or admit. When people deflect blame away from the principal actors, it is the duty of those who know the truth to interject.

Public sector labor unions are killing govt. across the country. Detroit isn't the first. California has already had municipal bankruptcies.
I am willing to admit the reason that Detroit failed is because of corrupt leadership. I am not agreeing with your conclusion that the failure of Detroit is the fault of Democrats because of their ideology. I know you said that Mississippi was run by Southern Democrats for a long time, but the current Republicans can't seem to turn it around, and neither have the Republicans in Louisiana either. I don't think it has anything to do with the ideology of these governors, just the state of affairs in those states and their cities.

Quote:
It is true. Woodrow Wilson and FDR, both Democrats, are progressive rock stars. Calvin Coolidge, a Republican, is a Tea Party favorite. The parties haven't changed much. The Democrats are still the party of big, intrusive govt. and obsession with race, while the Republicans are still the party of smaller govt. and colorblindness.
Republicans aren't interested in smaller government if they're passing things like abortion restrictions, and preventing gay marriages and the legalization of marijuana aka big social government. Republicans =/= Libertarians. You're trying to paint a picture of a angelic Republican party while making the Democrat party look like the devil, which clearly isn't true. I'm a fan of neither. But that's a discussion for another thread.

In short what I'm trying to say is that the failure of Detroit has almost nothing to do with the ideology of the leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:28 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
With that said lets get back on topic

Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I am willing to admit the reason that Detroit failed is because of corrupt leadership. I am not agreeing with your conclusion that the failure of Detroit is the fault of Democrats because of their ideology.
Public sector unions are a big part of the democrats ideology. The Democrats will not do away with these govt. killing election cash cows.

Quote:
I know you said that Mississippi was run by Southern Democrats for a long time, but the current Republicans can't seem to turn it around, and neither have the Republicans in Louisiana either.
Mississippi has a very corrupt court system that needs to be cleaned up before it ever enters the 21st century. Why would anyone locate there when some schuckster lawyer and judge can rob you blindly.

Louisiana is a different story. Louisiana is in its best shape in decades.

Quote:
Republicans aren't interested in smaller government if they're passing things like abortion restrictions, and preventing gay marriages and the legalization of marijuana aka big social government. Republicans =/= Libertarians.
A vast majority GOP base wants fair, sustainable, anti-corrupt govt. The Tea Party, which is a coalition of classic liberals, libertarians, and small govt. conservatives is taking over the GOP.

The social issues is another Democrat boogieman myth. When it comes to freedom, the Republicans are by far the Freedom party of the two.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Public sector unions are a big part of the democrats ideology. The Democrats will not do away with these govt. killing election cash cows.
In very-left-leaning Los Angeles, our current mayor (Garcetti) was elected over his nearly-identical opponent largely because she was funded by the unions and he was not. So this is not necessarily true.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
There are more cities that are one or two bad decisions away from detroit's situation. Across the board taxpayer handouts are at an all time high to lure businesses, even those that can make their way on their own. All cities have debt. Some are better at hiding it than others but it's there.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Ugh! Detroit's current state has nothing to do with the Democratic Party being in charge there. I know that is a popular myth in Fox News/Tea Party circles, but as others have mentioned most major cities are ran by members of the Democratic Party and are doing just fine as well as being some of the most successful and rich cities in the world. The very idea is absurd...not to mention odd given Detroit had a mix of Republican and Democratic mayors during the "good years", most of whom unknowingly laid the ground work for has happened to Detroit.

Also absurd is the idea that public transportation was a factor in the fate of Detroit. While I am a fan of transit and believe every major city should have a robust network, it is idiotic to think that would keep a city for being successful. All you have to do is look at the Sunbelt cities. I mean, Los Angeles leap frogged over all of those cities with their oh so superior transit networks to become the country's second largest city at the same time Detroit was falling apart.

Nor are unions to blame as other union/manufacturing heavy cities of last century were able to retool themselves for the new economic reality of the 21st century. Chicago, Cleveland and Philadelphia were able to keep themselves from the brink of similarly bad circumstances that Detroit found itself in during the middle part of the last century.

Rather, Detroit has found itself in the state it is in due to a series of bad decisions and changes out of it's control that have been in play for almost 50 years now. While it is easy to simply blame the 1967 riot and the decline of the auto industry, it's more involved in that. There were underlying issues that caused the 1967 that have gone unresolved to this day that ate away the city like a cancer. In addition to that, the fact that no one from the city government to private enterprise found a suitable replacement for the auto industry for the city is without parallel in any city Detroit's size.

On top of all of that was hyper-suburbanization/relocation to other cities, where a population just up and left on a scale unseen in the modern world. Over 1 million people have left Detroit in the last 30 years. It would be as if every single person in Dallas proper decided to no longer live there. Even if auto industry had remained stable, no city would be able to sustain such a precipitous loss of tax revenue in such a short amount of time.

The biggest problem how ever is the insistence of Detroit leadership to not realize that without a miracle the glory days would never return. For decades now, the idea that fortunes would reverse eventually, the factories would reopen, the neighborhoods would be rebuilt and Detroit would be right back at the same place it was in it's heyday. It has stifled the chances of a radical rethinking of how the city was structured and operated. In order for Detroit to succeed again, it will have to accept the fact it will need to be a much different place than it was in the past.

As for what city could possibly find itself in the same position as Detroit in the future, the only city of any size that is at risk is Las Vegas. It would take some sort of tragic occurrence to occur, but if the gaming industry ever fell apart it would be done for. But that's a highly unlikely situation.

Among major cities though, I think what happened in Detroit is not likely to be repeated. Then again, who knows. Sixty years ago Detroit future is shining bright.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:53 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
We will never see another Detroit in our lifetime. I prefer someone to make a thread for the recovery of Detroit rather than who's next.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 PM

541 posts, read 912,734 times
The entire country.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,586 times
Quote:
Wrong, I am telling the truth that some people are afraid to hear or admit. When people deflect blame away from the principal actors, it is the duty of those who know the truth to interject.

Public sector labor unions are killing govt. across the country. Detroit isn't the first. California has already had municipal bankruptcies.

It is true. Woodrow Wilson and FDR, both Democrats, are progressive rock stars. Calvin Coolidge, a Republican, is a Tea Party favorite. The parties haven't changed much. The Democrats are still the party of big, intrusive govt. and obsession with race, while the Republicans are still the party of smaller govt. and colorblindness.
I take it you don't like democrats? Or is it Democrats you don't like?

Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM

669 posts, read 915,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
The entire country.
I thought your infantile rants were aimed towards being anti-New York now I see it's just anti-America. Glad I avoided continuing to debate with someone like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies