Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major City is the closest that COULD possibly follow in the footsteps of Detroit's fate?
Baltimore 8 4.91%
Memphis 15 9.20%
Philadelphia 9 5.52%
Hartford Conneticaut 1 0.61%
Trenton 2 1.23%
Jersey City 0 0%
Birmingham 9 5.52%
Chicago 33 20.25%
Atlanta 15 9.20%
Miami 1 0.61%
Boston 0 0%
New Orleans 7 4.29%
Camden,New Jersey 35 21.47%
Jacksonville ,Florida 1 0.61%
Knoxville,Tennesee 2 1.23%
Little Rock ,Arkansas 1 0.61%
Other 24 14.72%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Detroit could not get it together as it seemed for a minute it might finally be invigorated with the new spirit there seemed to be in the latest revival of the auto industry.It was Not to be.Who could be next?

It should be noted that even NYC came within a few hours of filing backruptcy more than once in the past.
So cut Detroit a little slack.This is the USA.We need to be ashamed that a major US city has gone under.This is not the shame of Detroit but the shame of America.This is why we need to pay attention as this could possibly happen to another major city.But which one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:18 AM

173 posts, read 296,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Detroit could not get it together as it seemed for a minute it might finally be invigorated with the new spirit there seemed to be in the latest revival of the auto industry.It was Not to be.Who could be next?

It should be noted that even NYC came within a few hours of filing backruptcy more than once in the past.
So cut Detroit a little slack.This is the USA.We need to be ashamed that a major US city has gone under.This is not the shame of Detroit but the shame of America.This is why we need to pay attention as this could possibly happen to another major city.But which one?
It isn't America's fault Detroit went under.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:24 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Detroit is the way it is because of its own choices as a city. Everyone says its because the auto industry collapsed, but Detroits suburbs are suffering from that loss as well and they do not go bankrupt, they do not have a criminal city government and they do not have a criminal population. They now have hard lives because of Michigans economic collapse, but they have not made the same choices the citizens of Detroit have. The citizens of Detroit decided to riot in 1967 driving away many residents in fear, Detroit residents decided to live lives of crime and drugs, Detroit residents decided to spend the 1970s and 1980s having an annual Halloween riot burning hundreds of buildings. Detroit residents decided to allow criminals to run their city for decades. I cant think of any city in the US that comes even close to this level of disfunction. I don't think any city is close to the fate of Detroit, for no city has the level of decay or corruption, not even close. Seeing this in the news makes me feel sad for the state I used to call home, but I am glad I don't live anywhere near that mess anymore. Detroit is like an anchor around Michigans neck, dragging down the whole state. The people of Michigan are likely the most disgusted by Detroits infamy, for no one will pay for it like Michigan will. I feel sorry for those who are not responsible for this mess but will somehow pay for it.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:36 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Atlanta.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 AM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Detroit is the way it is because of its own choices as a city. Everyone says its because the auto industry collapsed, but Detroits suburbs are suffering from that loss as well and they do not go bankrupt, they do not have a criminal city government and they do not have a criminal population. They now have hard lives because of Michigans economic collapse, but they have not made the same choices the citizens of Detroit have. The citizens of Detroit decided to riot in 1967 driving away many residents in fear, Detroit residents decided to live lives of crime and drugs, Detroit residents decided to spend the 1970s and 1980s having an annual Halloween riot burning hundreds of buildings. Detroit residents decided to allow criminals to run their city for decades. I cant think of any city in the US that comes even close to this level of disfunction. I don't think any city is close to the fate of Detroit, for no city has the level of decay or corruption, not even close. Seeing this in the news makes me feel sad for the state I used to call home, but I am glad I don't live anywhere near that mess anymore. Detroit is like an anchor around Michigans neck, dragging down the whole state. The people of Michigan are likely the most disgusted by Detroits infamy, for no one will pay for it like Michigan will. I feel sorry for those who are not responsible for this mess but will somehow pay for it.

Thankfully Grand Rapids is starting to pick up the slack.

BTW.. Many refuse to acknowledge the fact that alot of the Unions have DIRECT ties to alot of it ( city government corruption etc ) via funding for all their campaigns in return for favors etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:50 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Thankfully Grand Rapids is starting to pick up the slack.

BTW.. Many refuse to acknowledge the fact that alot of the Unions have DIRECT ties to alot of it ( city government corruption etc ) via funding for all their campaigns in return for favors etc.

I agree with you about the unions. In fact they are a large part of Michigans statewide economic disaster.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Those issues in Detroit were happening everywhere.L.A. and Chicago come to mind. Disfunction is not just a Detroit commodity.
As I posted.there are several cities that have huge decay and crime.Go to those cities like Trenton,Camden,Newark and many other cities on New Jersey.Lets not forget the richest state of Conneticut and its major cities like Hartford and Stanford.These are all some of the poorest cities in America!
The rioting was a result of injustice against a group of people.Its collapse was not started by riots but more because it kept a larges segment of its society from being able to advance.
Look at the state of Mississippi as an example. Buisness do no want to be associated with political and cultural instibility.All the sates that have dragged there foot in progressive plocies regarding race,labor laws,poor education reform and public health initiatives are now well behind that of the other states in the South that have been more accommodating to positive changes.

Yes I know those people of Michigan are quick to separate themselves from Detroit.That's been the problem all along from the beginning. Race and class warfare destroyed Detroit.Thats the chicken before the egg or whatever.
Detroit is one city in a nation of many.But it just takes one then another to fall when people in this country are so quick to isolate themselves from the worlds problems.If you think Detroit's fate does not affect the U.S. as a whole in anyway, then im sorry but you are sadly mistaken.

Last edited by afonega1; 07-21-2013 at 03:32 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta.
I find it odd that some people have voted for Atlanta but cannot formulate the words as to why.Especially when Atlanta credit rating is as the same as NYC and is stable while Chicago has a Negative outlook according to Moody's.

Forbes reported that median housing prices in Detroit have plummeted to $40,000.

What's more: Atlanta's improving crime rates. According to an AJC analysis, Atlanta recorded the second fewest homicides in 50 years in 2012 — notching a 3 percent improvement over 2011. Overall, crime dipped 5 percent last year, the newspaper reported. The city of Atlanta recorded 85 homicides last year; Detroit had 411. (To be fair, Detroit proper includes significantly more people, but the per capita homicide rate still dwarfs Atlanta's).

Another consideration: Atlanta's influx of young, educated residents, aka "The Creative Class."

In Atlanta, the number of 25-to 34-year olds with four-year college degrees or higher swelled by 61 percent between 2000 and 2009.

Oh well I suppose anyone can have an OPINION even if its based in no factual data what so ever.

Last edited by afonega1; 07-21-2013 at 03:30 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
I agree with you about the unions. In fact they are a large part of Michigans statewide economic disaster.
Im not a fan of Unions but you do realize that they were needed and came into power with the helped of crazy racist and multi millionaire Henry Ford?
He treated his employers poorly and he crushed them when there was descent. He and other industrialist gave rise to the Aabatross that the Unions have become today.These unions are what is/could bring down the next city.Philly is struggling with handling with demands from their unions now.

Atlanta did one thing right with our current mayor and addressing the issue of city pensions by passing through major changes against the Unions here in Atlanta.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
...We need to be ashamed that a major US city has gone under.This is not the shame of Detroit but the shame of America....
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
It isn't America's fault Detroit went under.
Quote:
Detroit is the way it is because of its own choices as a city. Everyone says its because the auto industry collapsed, but Detroits suburbs are suffering from that loss as well and they do not go bankrupt, they do not have a criminal city government and they do not have a criminal population...
Couldn't agree more--let's refrain from tearfully portraying Detroit's perps as America's victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies