Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:15 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,067,318 times

Advertisements

I don't really know which would be safer...

open carry would definitely intimidate people. People are probably less likely to try and rob a gas station if there's a guy 10 feet away with a holstered pistol. Then again, average citizens don't like being around guns too much.

Concealed carry... I really see no logical benefit aside from average people not having to see a gun. It would be slower to pull out, making it far less effective in a time of need and criminals wouldn't be deter. For the delusional fool who want to catch a criminal, I guess that's a good thing, but I think it's best to deter criminal acts than catch people doing it.

I'm going with open carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,315,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
My thoughts also. An armed society is a polite society.

Let the states decide.

According to the US Constitution, it isn't up to the federal government, or the State, County, or town/city to decide if you can open, or conceal carry. There is no asking permission from anyone, at anytime.

It is up to the individual. (The right of the people) Shall Not Be Infringed.
Pretty powerful wording, that leaves very little for the interpretation.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
According to the US Constitution, it isn't up to the federal government, or the State, County, or town/city to decide if you can open, or conceal carry. There is no asking permission from anyone, at anytime.

It is up to the individual. (The right of the people) Shall Not Be Infringed.
Pretty powerful wording, that leaves very little for the interpretation.
Judge Roberts disagrees with you and he's in charge.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:39 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,315,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

open carry would definitely intimidate people. People are probably less likely to try and rob a gas station if there's a guy 10 feet away with a holstered pistol. Then again, average citizens don't like being around guns too much.

Concealed carry... I really see no logical benefit aside from average people not having to see a gun. It would be slower to pull out, making it far less effective in a time of need and criminals wouldn't be deter. For the delusional fool who want to catch a criminal, I guess that's a good thing, but I think it's best to deter criminal acts than catch people doing it.

In the days of a six shooter on your hip, it was illegal to conceal carry.
You were likely to be confronted, unarmed. Conceal carry was killing a lot of people.

With open carry, it was all about getting the drop on the other guy.... Gunslingers and legal duels.
Dueling with pistols was legal for the first 100 years of existence with the US Constitution making it perfectly legal.

One of our own Vice Presidents was in a duel while holding office.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:44 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,071,728 times
Quote:

With practice drawing, Concealed is not that much slower than open. It takes me 1.25 seconds to draw and shoot from concealed. I'm at .9 for open.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,963,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Judge Roberts disagrees with you and he's in charge.
In charge of what? He's certainly not in charge of my life or my family's safety. I'm sure he's in charge of his own tax payer funded, well armed security detail though.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
I don't know any gun control advocacy group that has suggested gun limitation in the Alaskan bush. We'd like to limit Saturday night specials in places like Washington DC. There aren't any grizzly bears here.
You are right, there are no grizzly bears in DC. DC critters are far less honorable and much more treacherous than any grizzly bear in Alaska, and that is just Congress.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:

There are also firearms that are simply too large to be easily concealed.

Whether someone feels intimidated or not at the sight of a firearm is not your problem, but rather theirs. If someone feels claustrophobic getting into an elevator does that mean you have to use the stairs? Hoplophobia is their mental illness, not yours.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,836,727 times
Quote:
I don't know any gun control advocacy group that has suggested gun limitation in the Alaskan bush. We'd like to limit Saturday night specials in places like Washington DC. There aren't any grizzly bears here.
I see you've chosen to ignore my post proving that there is in fact historical reference to the 2A being an individual right......

Not surprising. People generally don't like to admit when they're wrong.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:10 PM

11,054 posts, read 10,607,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In the days of a six shooter on your hip, it was illegal to conceal carry.
You were likely to be confronted, unarmed. Conceal carry was killing a lot of people.

With open carry, it was all about getting the drop on the other guy.... Gunslingers and legal duels.
Dueling with pistols was legal for the first 100 years of existence with the US Constitution making it perfectly legal.

One of our own Vice Presidents was in a duel while holding office.
The pistols used in the Burr vs. Hamilton duel were Wogdon dueling pistols, not six shooters. They fired one shot, and that's all you had.

As for the myth of gunslingers, it's pretty much a myth. There are very few documented instances of gunfighters meeting in the street and starting a duel with a quick draw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies