Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,930,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This is crazy, you have no right to refuse if the cops suspect you are under the influence, in Douglas County, Georgia.
If you refuse a breathalizer, they get a search warrant, strap you down to a guerney, put you in a headlock and draw your blood anyway. Since you refused, your license is suspended for a year as punishment.
They claim that more people die in this county from drunk drivers than murders. That may be true, but I also believe most of the time they kill themselves. The limits have been severely lowered, and murder rate is down.
This system feeds off convictions.
This must be a big money maker for counties and states, as well as another way to intimidate the public. Yesterday I read that NYPD have quotas for doing random searches of people on the streets, by some whistleblower cops that say they are pressured to fill the jail cells.

So the question is; What is an unreasonable search? What rights do we have to our bodies against self-incrimination? Maybe this would be justified in the case of a vehicle accident with injuries, otherwise I think it's insane.

Every driver who refuses to blow is strapped to a table, put in a headlock, blood forcibly taken - YouTube
Way I look at is this. You want to refuse all forms of tests, fine. Your drivers licenses is immediately revoked for 5 years. People however should be able to refuse, providing their refusal is based on a suspicion during a stop, not the result of a test due to an accident you were involved in. If you however are involved in an accident and refuse... well... tough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,930,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Get back to us when you're strapped down and forced to give up your DNA.
What possible reasoning could be used to check for DNA?

I understand wanting to protect the rights of someone, I really do, but wanting to check someone for blood alcohol level is "logical" to the issue of people driving under the influence which is empirically established as a danger to others.

What reason is there for checking DNA?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,630,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This is crazy, you have no right to refuse if the cops suspect you are under the influence, in Douglas County, Georgia.
If you refuse a breathalizer, they get a search warrant, strap you down to a guerney, put you in a headlock and draw your blood anyway. Since you refused, your license is suspended for a year as punishment.
They claim that more people die in this county from drunk drivers than murders. That may be true, but I also believe most of the time they kill themselves. The limits have been severely lowered, and murder rate is down.
This system feeds off convictions.
This must be a big money maker for counties and states, as well as another way to intimidate the public. Yesterday I read that NYPD have quotas for doing random searches of people on the streets, by some whistleblower cops that say they are pressured to fill the jail cells.

So the question is; What is an unreasonable search? What rights do we have to our bodies against self-incrimination? Maybe this would be justified in the case of a vehicle accident with injuries, otherwise I think it's insane.

Every driver who refuses to blow is strapped to a table, put in a headlock, blood forcibly taken - YouTube
The easy solution: don't drive drunk.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 PM

14,944 posts, read 8,558,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
No, losing your license is for breaking the consent you gave to the state. Being punished for DUI is something else and many states have penalties (such as little things like JAIL) that are higher than losing your license for a year.
What a grossly ignorant thing to claim. IF a robber puts a gun to your face and says, give me all your money ... and you do ... does that constitute your freely giving "consent" to him to take your money, and therefore no longer robbery? Well, hopefully, you have the sense to understand that it isn't

By the very same principle, acquiescing to threat of fines and imprisonment for not having a driver license, choosing to apply and receive one to avoid that harassment is HARDLY giving consent. That's called agreeing under duress, coercion, extortion and threat.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The easy solution: don't drive drunk.
Huge fail in logic, as you assume the person was drunk, when you have no basis for making such an assumption. What if he's had nothing to drink, or is not over the limit, but the cop doesn't like him .. maybe he's black and the cop is a racist, or the cop is just a sadistic prick? Too bad ... this is the NEW AMERICAN FREEDOM ... shut up, and submit, or we'll just strap you down and do it!!!

All of you supporting this are domestic enemies, and will one day pay the price. What a disgusting lot.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What possible reasoning could be used to check for DNA?

I understand wanting to protect the rights of someone, I really do, but wanting to check someone for blood alcohol level is "logical" to the issue of people driving under the influence which is empirically established as a danger to others.

What reason is there for checking DNA?
The more you speak ... the more simple minded it gets. First ... blood provides a fine sample of your DNA. And what would they want with your DNA? Jesus H. Key-riest .... you're enough to make a thinking person's head explode.

Why do "they" collect all of your phone calls, emails, facebook entries, and location data from your cell phone? DUH .....

Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Way I look at is this. You want to refuse all forms of tests, fine. Your drivers licenses is immediately revoked for 5 years. People however should be able to refuse, providing their refusal is based on a suspicion during a stop, not the result of a test due to an accident you were involved in. If you however are involved in an accident and refuse... well... tough...
And I believe anyone with such a horribly anti-American attitude ought to have their citizenship revoked PERMANENTLY, and sent off to the communist police state of their choice, where they will be more at home.

And on that note, I shall take my leave of this thread .... this nauseating nonsense is just too much. What a bloody joke .... absolute mind boggling ignorance.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,466,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And I believe anyone with such a horribly anti-American attitude ought to have their citizenship revoked PERMANENTLY, and sent off to the communist police state of their choice, where they will be more at home.

And on that note, I shall take my leave of this thread .... this nauseating nonsense is just too much. What a bloody joke .... absolute mind boggling ignorance.
Well, hey ~ you won me over. So it can't be a total wash.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,132,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Huge fail in logic, as you assume the person was drunk, when you have no basis for making such an assumption. What if he's had nothing to drink, or is not over the limit, but the cop doesn't like him .. maybe he's black and the cop is a racist, or the cop is just a sadistic prick? Too bad ... this is the NEW AMERICAN FREEDOM ... shut up, and submit, or we'll just strap you down and do it!!!

All of you supporting this are domestic enemies, and will one day pay the price. What a disgusting lot.
If she/he has had nothing to drink or isn't over the limit why would you refuse the breathalyzer? If you don't blow over the limit you've just proven you haven't done anything wrong. While the blood thing is a little much, I still don't understand why someone who is in a routine traffic stop would hesitate to prove their not guilty of anything. I literally can't believe there is this much disagreement with getting drunks off the road..... I don't care if someone wants to drink themselves into oblivion, but I sure don't want them on the road with me....

Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,702,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Is this Constitutional?

Of course it is.

In California, when you apply for a driver's license, you sign a promise to take a breath test or blood test any time a cop asks you to, when he finds you driving on a public road.

You don't have to sign the promise. It's completely voluntary, if you want to utilize the privilege of driving on a public road.

And it's completely constitutional to voluntarily sign a promise to allow a search.

Is there any reason to believe otherwise?
What if the person is from out of state or from outside the country? Then your little end around of the constitution starts to fall apart, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies