Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Maybe in about 60 years. And to your point...you are equating wealth and power to some type of worship status. Yes, nepotism is alive and well, we all know that.
this person will be the legal head of government of about 800 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
this person will be the legal head of government of about 800 million people.
By way of Nepotism of course and in about 60-70 years from now if the longevity factor of the family plays out.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
It's very strange how much coverage the American media gives the royal family. I am curious as to how many Americans actually care about this because I personally don't know anyone who actually gives a sh*t.
I know a lot of people who were interested, and followed closely. Why should a tradition which was part of our national heritige and had gone on for centuries not be of interest? Our history did not begin in 1776. I suspect innagurations of presidents get watched in other countries as well, and that is also steeped in formal tradition.

If you aren't interested, fine. Those who are will not bang on your door and make you watch. There wouldn't be so many reporters camped out waiting yesterday if there were not a lot of Americans who did want to see and hear.

I find football boring and sports in general a waste of time but I'm not dumping on people who do.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
he has so insulted them I can not see they would want a thing from him
what a weasel
him and his fat wife

Old 07-23-2013, 03:26 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Oh for the love of god. So most of England's famous landmarks would disappear if the monarchy did too?
You don't get that the fact that it is a living monarchy in Britain that helps to generate interest from tourists?

"The net overall impact of the Jubilee will therefore be a boost to the economy of +£409 million."
The Queen's Diamond Jubilee - The Summer of Love - Centre for Retail Research, Nottingham UK

"More than 354,000 people have visited the palace since the £250,000 dress went on display on July 23rd.
The scramble to see the Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen gown up close has led to a remarkable 20 per cent increase in visitors from last year. It is expected final ticket sales will total £8million, with proceeds from the exhibition going towards William and Kate’s wedding charity fund as well as the upkeep of palaces and royal residences."
Kate Middleton's Buckingham Palace wedding dress display breaks records | Metro News

Quote:
I guess they make employment by employing boatloads of servants who would otherwise work in service sector jobs.
There was actually an interesting series on PBS about what it took to keep the royal residences working. Very interesting because it focused on the workers. Talk about some weird jobs.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I guess because this baby is in fact royalty by the very meaning and other aren't. other than that its like any celebrity baby but with a larger following.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Sure some of the royals are a tad inbred. BUT have a good look at Kate Middleton - This is a wonderful - very attractive and intelligent young woman- who in their right mind would put her down? Yes his attitude is nasty...reminds me of a chump who has read to much Carl Marx and never got over it--- He would have been a great hit during the French Revolution. Maybe our friend could have manned one of those chopping machines that separate the head from the body?
It's been noted that this paring is an acknowlegement that things have changed. She is a commoner. Her parents were middle class, and made their own money with a business they started. The family's origions are coal miners in the north of England. She is in this position because she has the personality to fufull it, not because she was born to it. William even made a joke that the baby's looks take after her which is a good thing.

If the British want to have their monarchy and if Americans want to be interested, then the poster refered to can go stew in his idology somewhere quietly where nobody will see all the hatred.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
he has so insulted them I can not see they would want a thing from him
what a weasel
him and his fat wife
Example 1 of reasons why the Royal Family is glad they have no obligation to the American people. Thank you for your thoughtful gift!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
By way of Nepotism of course and in about 60-70 years from now if the longevity factor of the family plays out.
nepatism is when someone appoints someone to a position based on simply being related.

This child will be well educated and have been the heir to a family that bankrolled the creation and in some cases,the continued defense and funding of these nations.

It isnt as simple as you have tried to make it.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
America was formed by people who held royalty in open contempt and were not afraid to tell King George where to stuff it.

Yet the stupid American mass media cannot seem to get enough of the English royal family. This whole baby thing is out of control... sure births are happy events and congrats are in order... but non-stop headline news coverage for days?!

Free men do not celebrate the birth of another king.

Rant over.
Actually *free* men and women can celebrate the birth of a child who is in line to be a king if they wish to. I'd say that was one of the eventual points of the revolution. The people at that time also forced those who disagreed with them to leave what they had behind and flee to Canada, and I don't think we need to celebrate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies