Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many people don't work hard and get to live in certain areas. My high school GF inherited $1M on her 18th birthday and paid cash for a house on the Jersey Shore three blocks from the water - at the time she hadn't worked a day in her life, and today the house is worth $1.5M.

What about people who work hard for low wages? I had a co-worker who rents a room in an SRO, he has two jobs including one in a foundry. He's the hardest worker I've ever known, shouldn't he get to live in certain areas?
you're a bit too focused on the work hard thing I said. I should have said they have achieved a certain SES. sounds snobby, but it is true. I worked crappy jobs in my late teens and early 20s, but I wasn't upset that, if I did live on my own, I'd have to live in a less desirable place. I just kept it moving and lived with my mom in her nice house. the working poor do work harder than most of us, you are right, but they are not yet in the ses class they need to be in to be in a neighborhood like mine. those who are the most to black are those who keep the minimal wage low, who have made job security a thing of the past, don't give their employees full time or health care. but the answer is not to drop these same people with no real skills, in established middle class area. their old ghetto will still be a ghetto, and then my neighborhood will be an extension of that ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Who decides what is a "good income person"

If it were up to me, felony convictions would exclude a person, for example. Why can't we allow law-abiding low-income people to have decent homes and neighborhoods while excluding the criminals and the gangbangers? I think the liberals screwed that up badly.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you're a bit too focused on the work hard thing I said. I should have said they have achieved a certain SES. sounds snobby, but it is true. I worked crappy jobs in my late teens and early 20s, but I wasn't upset that, if I did live on my own, I'd have to live in a less desirable place. I just kept it moving and lived with my mom in her nice house. the working poor do work harder than most of us, you are right, but they are not yet in the ses class they need to be in to be in a neighborhood like mine. those who are the most to black are those who keep the minimal wage low, who have made job security a thing of the past, don't give their employees full time or health care. but the answer is not to drop these same people with no real skills, in established middle class area. their old ghetto will still be a ghetto, and then my neighborhood will be an extension of that ghetto.

why should college-educated burger flippers have to live in the ghetto? you seem to be saying that income trumps all other components of SES.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
Quote:
If it were up to me, felony convictions would exclude a person, for example. Why can't we allow law-abiding low-income people to have decent homes and neighborhoods while excluding the criminals and the gangbangers? I think the liberals screwed that up badly.
That is already the case with section 8. They allow only people with clean records. What happens is the girl friends get the section 8 and bring the felon boy friend with them to live there. Which is illegal but no one enforces it and neighborhood goes to crap because the felon boy friend keeps dealing/robbing/what ever they did to become a fellon.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Its clear to most the reality is different than the theory and no one is fooled.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
I like the idea. I live in a gated community in a home valued around $800K, but I would prefer to live a mile away where the ultra rich live, in homes starting well over a million dollars. Now the government is going to help me move up with the rich people, just like the Jefferson's... and the tax payers will make my payments..
Perhaps having a communist in office isn't so bad after all...

Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,488 times
Quote:
Why can't we come up with ways to let in 'good' low-income people while excluding 'bad' low-income people? Why do the good people have to be excluded when they're not the ones causing the problems?
Someone beat me to it but this does raise questions of definition & enforcement, inter alia.

Quote:
That is already the case with section 8. They allow only people with clean records. What happens is the girl friends get the section 8 and bring the felon boy friend with them to live there. Which is illegal but no one enforces it and neighborhood goes to crap because the felon boy friend keeps dealing/robbing/what ever they did to become a felon.
I didn't know Section 8 was so restrictive. It's hard to enforce anything imho. People have friends..

Quote:
East Lansing, Mich Ordinance 900...

Lubbock, Texas prohibits more than three unrelated in SFR zones. Bellingham, Wash has similar unrelated restrictions. More common than you think.
Well 'more than three unrelated' doesn't surprise me as much. E.L. is a college town though FWIW.
Still, thanks for the link & info. I am surprised about the two max anywhere.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 PM

500 posts, read 375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
HUD will then be forced to loan to certain folks in certain neighborhoods in order to be "fair" even if folks can't afford the home or not. The banks will of course gladly due it and securitize the loans and sell them over and over again to investors because when the payments aren't made the taxpayers will of course have to bail out the banks becuase the US government backs the loans. Where have we seen this all before? I know it's happened somewhere.
I'm pretty sure it's another case of not being able to fix stupid.

Our government seems to never, ever learn from its mistakes.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Rent control and affordable housing mandates are as absurd and asinine here in LA and Orange County as they are anywhere else, and that been the case for decades.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
That is already the case with section 8. They allow only people with clean records. What happens is the girl friends get the section 8 and bring the felon boy friend with them to live there. Which is illegal but no one enforces it and neighborhood goes to crap because the felon boy friend keeps dealing/robbing/what ever they did to become a fellon.

what i'd like to know is, who is renting to parents with gangbangers in tow? i'm guessing it's mostly Section 8 landlords, but i've never seen any actual data on that. i'm also guessing that it's hard for landlords to reject parents of gangbangers, what with fair housing laws and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies