Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well they ruined the ones they're living in now?
You mean that the government didn't build ghettos but they were created by their occupants??

Who knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Do your homework. Low income/government housing have high crime rates. Rather than doing something in government housing to stop the crime and destruction of property, someone in government thinks that by spreading the criminals around will stop crime and the property will be taken care of.

Do your homework. Government works with one hand to try (and fail miserably) to fix problems it creates with the other hand.

Low income/government housing is a response to exclusionary zoning and other NIMBY policies which prevent the private sector from providing affordable housing to those who need it.

Government builds and subsidizes low income housing because it assumes that (unaffordable) market rents are proper, when they are inflated as a result of government regulation.

Government should get out of the way of the private sector, then developers will build the affordable housing people need.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I say build HUD homes and apartments in the Hamptons. Where ever a politician lives, the neighbor must be a poor person. the electric line, water, and cable lines must be connected to the politician's house so they pay the bills for these poor folks. even build HUD on the white house lawn. this Is only "fair"
How about building some of that diversity in the prime property areas of California where the bleeding liberal hearts live?

Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If you can afford the right education, that is.
Scholarships?
Grants?
Student loans?
Affirmative Action?
Pilot Schools?

All that is available to anyone who is smart enough to qualify. Of course, one would have to graduate from high school with good grades to qualify. You can't expect to qualify if you dropped out of school at the age of 16.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
He is not saying everyone is beneath him. You just want to think that.

I guess you think that the drug addict, the drug dealer, the murderer, the thief, the rapist, the wife beater, regardless of skin (that is who the poster is referring to), is your equal. Good for you that you mastered the attitude change. Doesn't mean everyone else has to be so accepting. So, yeah, those types are beneath law abiding citizens who do the right thing regardless of skin.

Fair housing laws say that the drug addict, the (unconvicted) drug dealer, the unconvicted murderer/thief/rapist/wife beater/parent of gangbangers is my equal.

That's why landlords rent to them and not to me when those people have more money than I.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Scholarships?
Grants?
Student loans?
Affirmative Action?
Pilot Schools?

All that is available to anyone who is smart enough to qualify. Of course, one would have to graduate from high school with good grades to qualify. You can't expect to qualify if you dropped out of school at the age of 16.

Don't get me started, I graduated with a 3.9 GPA and grades/test scores in the top five percent of my class. All the help I got was a NYS scholarship which was worth only $100 for books, because they decided I did not have financial need (because a dysfunctional family situation had a relative claiming me as a dependent although he was not providing my support).

Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
How about building some of that diversity in the prime property areas of California where the bleeding liberal hearts live?

There's the problem...communities use zoning to keep out and/or regulate the poor, and impose costs on surrounding communities while keeping the benefits to themselves.

Zoning came first, followed by government housing problems intended to fix the problems caused by zoning, only creating new problems in the process.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
One could just as well blame greedy absentee landlords for not taking proper care of their properties.
That reminds me of my uncle who owned housing units in Louisiana. When the neighborhood started to go south, he registered his property with government to accept those on assistance. The stories he told about what was done to HIS property. A tenant pulled the toilet out of the wall twice. First time, it was replaced, second time it was replaced and was told if they pulled it out of the wall again they could pee and poo in the hole they left. It never happened again. Holes in the walls, leaks ruining the carpeting and walls, cabinets ripped off the wall, doors broken, appliances broken (door of refrigerator pulled off) and the list went on.

A landlord has a responsibility to maintain/upkeep his property, not repairing what his tenants destroy, but to keep the value of his property in most cases it's necessary. When a landlord goes in and gives the property a clean sweep more than likely he's giving up and getting rid of it, letting the buyer inherit the problems that he can't see. Kind of like buying a second hand car and then finding out all the problems that came with it.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Don't get me started, I graduated with a 3.9 GPA and grades/test scores in the top five percent of my class. All the help I got was a NYS scholarship which was worth only $100 for books, because they decided I did not have financial need (because a dysfunctional family situation had a relative claiming me as a dependent although he was not providing my support).
Take that circumstance out of the equation, would you have qualified?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Credit scores are backed by the hard science of statistics.

What you are really hearing are people using the words "red lining" but in reality they are using disparate impact as "proof".

Note that there absolutley are businesses and people that use unfair practices. I hope they get their butts sued. However, the use of "disparate impact" is a patently unfair approach which I strongly oppose.

If a company is using unfair practices, it should be pretty easy to prove using hard data and not math-magics.

Are credit scores valid when - as is often the case - they are based on incorrect, outdated, or even 'gamed' content? e.g. there are firms which, for a fee, will rescore your credit report to get you a more favorable outcome; even mortgage brokers do this.

I have had zero credit events in the past ten years, but old derogs are still on my report because debt scavengers buy and re-age my accounts. How valid is my credit score?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies