Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,541,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Precisely!

What happened to Bill Cosby when he spoke the truth? Hmmm?
He was widely celebrated, and continued giving similar speeches and reaching out to other individuals to stand up as good examples.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM

88,697 posts, read 44,470,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If i want to hear someone opine on the black community, i'll listen to black people...the actual people who know something about it and LIVE IN IT. I don't care about the opinions of outsiders, and i have no obligation (or time) to listen to them.

So if that means that i don't have an open mind, so be it.
How has that mentality worked out for the Black community, so far?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM

27,534 posts, read 15,991,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If i want to hear someone opine on the black community, i'll listen to black people...the actual people who know something about it and LIVE IN IT. I don't care about the opinions of outsiders, and i have no obligation (or time) to listen to them.

So if that means that i don't have an open mind, so be it.
thats good and all but whats good for the goose is good for the gander, fair enough?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
He was widely celebrated, and continued giving similar speeches and reaching out to other individuals to stand up as good examples.
Um... NO.

Quote:
After what has come to be known as “the Pound Cake speech”—it has its own Wikipedia entryCosby came under attack from various quarters of the black establishment. The playwright August Wilson commented, “A billionaire attacking poor people for being poor. Bill Cosby is a clown. What do you expect?” One of the gala’s hosts, Ted Shaw, the director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, called his comments “a harsh attack on poor black people in particular.” Dubbing Cosby an “Afristocrat in Winter,” the Georgetown University professor Michael Eric Dyson came out with a book, Is Bill Cosby Right? Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind?, that took issue with Cosby’s bleak assessment of black progress and belittled his transformation from vanilla humorist to social critic and moral arbiter. “While Cosby took full advantage of the civil rights struggle,” argued Dyson, “he resolutely denied it a seat at his artistic table.”
Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,911,677 times
Quote:
What segment of the Black community are you writing about?

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-24-2013 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
What segment of the Black community are you writing about?
The 70% who are born out of wedlock. Those who kill other Blacks at a rate 10 times higher than that of any other race. Need I go on?

Obama, Sharpton, and Jackson continually harp on race and race-bait. Either disavow them or OWN it. Your choice.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM

872 posts, read 2,024,670 times
I hate Fox News and Oreilly's thoughts almost 99.9% of the time.

I will (grudgingly) admit that he hit this nail on the head, 100%.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,068,231 times
Quote:
I can't tell you how it's working for the black dude in San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, or Albuquerque....but it works GREAT for me.

I don't discuss black issues with non-blacks. Period. And i never will. Nor will i ever listen to opinions (such as O'Reilly's) about black folks or take their opinions under advisement.

What the next black person does is their business, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
thats good and all but whats good for the goose is good for the gander, fair enough?
Meaning?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,541,598 times
Quote:
You should probably have read your own link.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,583,304 times
Quote:
We aren't a monolithic group and its funny to hear people who claim self responsibility try to lump all blacks together in order to feel good about themselves.

The glee and excitement by some whites when discussing black community problems is hilarious.

99% of people who discuss black community problems do so just because it gives them a chance to throw out stats that make them feel good about not being black.

How about asking blacks on CD how they are doing? I bet most are doing well but that wouldn't fit the agenda.

Sure blacks have problems... but so do other groups and it's never a positive to have someone outside of a race tell you how to fix your problems because they aren't trying to dig that deep to fix them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies