Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
If you want to understand where the idea comes from figure out where these words are.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
The above excerpt of this poem known only due to its connection to the Statue of Liberty was created and auctioned off to raise funds for the statue's pedestal. However, it does not reflect American policy but rather represents that artist's opinion. Either way, if a UN scholar is thinking the US must remove its immigration restrictions because of a poem, then he really is unqualified to speak intelligently about the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
That's too bad. I have this recipe for soylent green I've been just itching to try out.
I prefer the Soylent Red. The more colour a food has, the more nutrients.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Having a 1.6 billion population would be a disaster for the US. We just don't have enough decent jobs to go around as it is. The vast majority of manufacturing jobs are overseas now because the labour costs are so much cheaper and those employees don't get health insurance benefits. And it's not because US companies are so evil, but more that US consumers want cheaply priced goods to buy.

And having 1.6 billion people would mean congestion and gridlock in our major cities like Mexico City, plus having to build housing like massive apartment complexes. And how will be able to feed everyone?

The UN needs to work on getting all countries on board with having the overall human population decrease on our planet. The earth cannot sustain that many people, not if they want a decent quality of life.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
At first, I thought this was an Onion article or something - it's that ridiculous. Here's something I do not understand. Plenty of other countries (as in most) have very strict immigration policy - much more so than the US. However, only the US is criticized for not allowing in even more immigrants? When did it become the responsibility of the US to house any and all immigrants that want to come here? We should do like other countries (e.g. Canada, England, Sweden, etc) - if you have a skill and/or money that would benefit our country, then you are welcome to come here. However, if you do not, stay where you're at. This is not a cruel position, it's simply a sensible one and most especially financially prudent one.
We should, but as long as people keep electing US liberals we won't.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
As a general advocate of cities, I read this and I think of declining places like Detroit that could actually use the population stimulus. As unhealthy as those cities can be, many people throughout the world would find exponentially more economic opportunity there than they could possibly get at home.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
If you want to understand where the idea comes from figure out where these words are.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
So many people seem to imagine that this is an excerpt from the U.S. Constitution.

It isn't, it's a bit of doggerel written by a jewish tribal fanatic and glued onto the statue's base by some more fanatics back in 1903.

Did you know that the statue was intended to symbolize freedom, not immigration?

Few people seem to know that anymore. Talk about hijacking...

Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
The above excerpt of this poem known only due to its connection to the Statue of Liberty was created and auctioned off to raise funds for the statue's pedestal. However, it does not reflect American policy but rather represents that artist's opinion. Either way, if a UN scholar is thinking the US must remove its immigration restrictions because of a poem, then he really is unqualified to speak intelligently about the subject.

Emma Lazerus' enscription on the Statue of Liberty dates from the 1870s from a different kind America a America of the frontier that had half a continent to fill up, that had businesses who needed the brains and brute muscle power to create the the super power we became. An America that believed it could do anything it wanted. We were like this until 50 years ago we didn't talk about going to the Moon we did it, the same with Nuclear power. we mastered that in less than 4 years, The Moon flight was done in 8 years. We didn't slam the door on immigration until the 1920s and that blunder is catching up to us. If we still had our wits about us like the Americans of the turn of the century we would not fear being one of the world's largest nation with the brain power, and hard working spirit such a nation that this implies. In fact the Chinese and Indians would have a genuine peer nation with the worlds largest economy and best technology to see in the 22nd Century. An America able to master the Final Frontier and sail to the stars.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
LOL. Ya think? Maybe he's the same guy who said not only would Florida be under water by now due to "global warming," but nominated Syria to be a member of the U.N.'s Human Rights Committee.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But we let in 3 million a year and those immigrants get right to work having children, they have way more children than the average American does. Not only that, while American women are frequently delaying childbearing until they're over 30, the immigrant types are having children while they are teenagers and are becoming grandparents by the time the American gets around to having her first child. A generation is about half that of Americans.
Actually the number of people getting legal residence in the US is 1 million per year and it has been dropping. And the number of illegal immigrants in the US is also dropping. Illegal immigration drops after decade-long rise

And their age of getting the first child is only 3 years younger than white people, and Mexico fertility rate is under control. I really don't think Mexican immigration is that big of a problem. Doesn't mean I support amnesty, but I don't think US will be overrun by immigrants.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
As a general advocate of cities, I read this and I think of declining places like Detroit that could actually use the population stimulus. As unhealthy as those cities can be, many people throughout the world would find exponentially more economic opportunity there than they could possibly get at home.
But what would those people do for income? There is no industry there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies