Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
They're also used for hunting all over the world by millions of people every day. They're used for safe and enjoyable recreation by millions of Americans every single day.
So what you are saying is that 30,000 Americans must die every year for the sake of your hobby.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Here are a couple of questions I'd like all gun owners to ask themselves. Why was it safer when there were FEWER guns? Why was it safer BEFORE we turned on a gazillion candles of artificial lighting outside every night?
Quote:
The mere fact of having a gun in your home increases your risk.
Quote:
As an adult, I DON'T assume the risk you place on society by owning your gun. That's on you. And because it is on you, it is also on you to prove to society that owning your gun doesn't put me and my children at risk. That's why we need the strictest background checks, bans on automatic weapons armor-piercing bullets, and more comprehensive mental healthcare. And Rakin, pools, trampolines, and cars, are not designed to kill. Guns are. False analogy, dude.
typical gun grabber. things were actually safer in the old west when virtually EVERYONE had guns strapped to their waist. why? because the old adage of an armed society is a polite society rings true. even back then there were people who wanted to eliminate firearms, but they were a tiny minority.

the mere fact that you are alive increases your risk. add in a knife and that increase your risk.

and why as a law abiding citizen must i prove to you that i am responsible enough to own and carry a firearm? prove to me there is no need for a firearm and perhaps i will divest myself of mine. not likely though as there is no argument you can make that will change my mind about owning firearms, and protecting my constitutional right to own and carry one.

understand that with rights come responsibilities, that includes free speech, and firearms. i take those responsibilities seriously.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Oh really? And how do you manage that? Does your magic decoder ring also have magical powers that allows you to drive your car onto a crowded sidewalk and have everyone walk away without a scratch?

That is correct. You owning a gun is not my responsibility.

Right, it is so great that the same laws that allow you to own a gun allows those gangbangers you are going on about to own them as well. You must be very proud.
Ummm...while I agree with your response to the first and second points, your last one just lost it. Explain, please, how my owning firearms, enables gangbangers. My guns, in my posession, have followed the law, and I use my guns for lawful purposes. They are secured, except when in use, were all purchased legally, and my background checked, thouroghly.

Mr. Gangbanger has an AK, that was smuggled in from some third world cesspool, or, maybe something stolen from the US military. At the least, his guns were stolen from somewhere. Possibly, even from LE. He has a rap sheet that deforested 20 acres of timber, and can no more LEGALLY possess, let alone buy, a gun, than I can fly to the moon on gossamer wings. He has shattered every law on the books, just by being in proximity to a firearm, and can't care a whit.

So, what you are saying, is that by my turning in my guns, giving up my rights to personal arms, and every other person in our country doing the same, Mr, Banger, will be relegated to throwing rocks? Hmmmm....lots of facts went into making that opinion hold water.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM

690 posts, read 963,809 times
go back to the store
i dont really like when people use these hypothetical unlikely scenarios to push their agenda tho, this is not wild west and yea sh1t happens
i could jus easily say to counter this, well what if u walking down the street carrying a gun and yo kid accidentally grabs it and kills you or me or my kid

Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is that 30,000 Americans must die every year for the sake of your hobby.
50,000 americans die each year in automobile accidents, i dont see you wanting to ban cars. and dont give me the false analogy crap either. as to the 30,000 americans dieing through gun violence, you do realize that a large potion of that is gang violence right? another large portion is suicide. both of these will never be eliminated, as both would find other ways to kill each other or ones self.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 AM

872 posts, read 2,029,451 times
Quote:
This would assume that banning guns would prevent these 30,000 murders. The problem is, most of those murders are committed with ILLEGAL owners.

Illegal meaning the people who own the guns aren't suppose to. So much for laws.

Legally, you're not suppose to smoke Marijuana. Yeah, who has that stopped?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Because guns cause suicide now.

Maybe you should try making smoking and alcohol illegal. Both of those kill more people each year.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Shouldn't we be focusing on the real contribution to the homicide stats?

Gang Violence Driving Force of Gun Violence

To hear gun control advocates speak, one would be led to believe that gun violence is a widespread problem whereby the mere existence of a gun is as much a problem as the person who intends to wield it. But the reality is that gun homicides are overwhelmingly tied to gang violence. In fact, a staggering 80% of gun homicides are gang-related. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), gang homicides accounted for roughly 8,900 of 11,100 gun murders in both 2010 and 2011. That means that there were just 2,200 non gang-related firearm murders in both years in a country of over 300 million people and 250 million guns

Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I don't dislike guns, I just don't get a hardon every time I see one.

And, yes, I own a gun.
Why is it, nearly every gun thread has to have someone with a sick mind trying to prove sexual fetishism by gun owners?
Whether I own a gun or not is none of anybody's business, but I find no sexual excitement in guns of any kind!
I really don't think many people do...

To the OP, that kind of scenario is very rare in Montana. If you think about it, the reason is obvious! It certainly isn't something I need to be concerned about.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Let me start off by saying I'm mostly liberal. Believe in gay rights, sustainability, etc. but one thing I don't believe in is taking guns from citizens who have no criminal history.

I want to ask everyone on this board a serious question in a scenario form.

You in a major city (let's say St.Louis) and you are leaving a store and it is 7:30 p.m. (not quite dark yet).

As you are leaving and walking down the street, three men, all of whom are taller and more athletic than you, approach you and tell you they are going to beat you and kill you. What, without a gun, are you suppose to do?

Yell for help? Likely, they will rush you close your mouth and furiously beat you before anyone can arrive.
Call the police? Yeah, you'll be dead before they arrive.
Run? Faster than 3 men who are all taller and in better shape?
Fight back? More than likely, that's not going to work out.

So what do you do? You're a honest citizen, not doing anything wrong, not out at 2:00am, just trying to get home to your family after picking some food up. Without a gun, you have no chance in this scenario. You could end up brain dead or dead completely.

So anti-gun activists, what do you do?

What if your 5 year old is with you? You're not even in the wrong part of town.

If it were me, I'd pull out my legal handgun and point it in their face and call the police. My child and I would be safe and help get 3 punks of the street.
I would use pepper-spray and when I used to walk outside late at night, I often carried a box-cutter with me. At 7:30 p.m. there are going to be other people around, so screaming real loud would also be a good idea. (Lastly, I would disarm them with my charm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies