Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: as far as civilian ownership
All semi automatic weapons should be banned 12 7.45%
Only semi automatic rifles should be banned 1 0.62%
Only handguns should be banned 1 0.62%
Only hunting rifles/shotguns should remain legal 4 2.48%
keep legality as it is now 47 29.19%
All weapons, including fully automatic should be legal 92 57.14%
All civilian ownership of firearms banned 4 2.48%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,854,620 times

Advertisements

Would just like to get an idea on where the bulk of City-Data Members stand on the issue.

Please Explain your vote in the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 AM

45,068 posts, read 26,223,210 times
Sure. What other tools should we go after next? Screwdrivers, hammers,staplers, box cutters...

Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,302,956 times
Oh, no...not again.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,211,742 times
Technically, full auto is legal in most states now if you have the money and fill out all the required forms. But for normal mortals they're too expensive.

Anyway, banning one type of weapon will do nothing. The next madman will just use a different type, which will get that type banned. And so on. It's what happened in England.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,623,595 times
I don't think any guns should be banned at all.

I do think people who own and carry guns should all be licensed individuals, trained in gun safety, responsible ownership, mentally competent and with a basic understanding of the legal ramifications of shooting someone.
I really don't need the hackneyed argument that laws are no good because criminals don't follow them. Murderers still murder when it's a crime but that doesn't mean we, as a society should make murder legal because criminals still do it.

Best I can tell, there is no constitutional mandate that prevents society from demanding proficiency and responsibility in firearm ownership rights in the form of an individual license.

Last edited by mohawkx; 07-24-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,753,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I don't think any guns should be banned at all.

I do think people who own and carry guns should all be licensed individuals,
Meaning, if they haven't filled out the right papers and jumped thru the hoops government sets for them, gun ownership is banned for them.

It's strange how many people don't see the contradiction inherent in their position.

The founders made a decision a few hundred years ago, that society would be better off with government having NO POWER WHATSOEVER over who can own and carry a gun, than it would is government did have that power, however limited. Even the risk of a bad guy getting a gun, was not as dangerous as the risk of government being able to forbid the people it wants, from having guns.

And just maybe, they anticipated that government bans on owning and carrying, would simply result in the disarming of law-abiding people, while criminals went right on carrying, finding it even easier to prey on the disarmed. How many muggers and gangbangers apply for government permits and go to govt-sanctioned gun safety classes?

Criminals getting guns, is bad. But making laws can't prevent it. Laws only disarm their victims.

And that includes the laws you say you want, requiring licenses and safety training.

Training is a good thing. But laws requiring it, do far more harm than good.

And worst of all, they give the government a little bit of power, to deny law-abiding citizens their right to keep and bear arms.

There is a lot of good to be had, from gun safety training.

But there is more harm than good, from requiring it by law - and banning guns from those who haven't.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,065,864 times
No point in banning them.... you just create black markets when you ban commodities people desire

Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,942,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
No point in banning them.... you just create black markets when you ban commodities people desire

Exactly. Those that want them will get them.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,206,300 times
I answered keep every legal as it is now, but I think that the full automatic firearms laws should be changed. The process should not require months of waiting, signoff from Federal state and local law enforcement before someone can own a full automatic firearm, if they are allowed to at all. The current process for owning a semi-auto firearm, going to a licensed dealer, fill out a 4473 form, a NICS background check performed, and verification of the person, by at least two forms of identification, and if the background check comes back without any problems the person is allowed to buy the firearm.
To me the process should be changed for fully automatic weapons based on the same criteria.
Fully automatic = Federal Tax stamp (We all know the Feds have to get there piece of the puzzle)
Background check = NICS
3 forms of identification, which is the same for the so called Assault weapons.
Finger print check sent to State and Federal levels of Law enforcement
Ballistics check performed on the weapon.
And FYI notification sent to law enforcement that said person has purchased a fully automatic weapon.
The current method a person is asking permission from the various level of government to be able to own a fully automatic weapon, and you need to justify your reason.
The way I propose, you are notifying them of the purchase for information purposes NOT ASKING FOR PERMISSION.
I was fingerprinted when I was hired by my company (A Well know large Bank) years ago, one copy was kept by the company the other went to the Federal government.
I was fingerprinted again when I got my carry conceal permit.
Aside from the rate of fire, there is little difference between a semi automatic weapon, and a fully automatic version of the same weapon. Anyone willing to have their name, address, SSN, there fingerprints, and Ballistics of the weapon on file with law enforcement has to be wacked out of their mind to commit a crime with that fully automatic weapon.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,915,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Exactly!
When any moderately competent machinist, with a lathe and milling machine from a well-known retail supplier of Chinese made tools and other goods, can turn out a fully automatic weapon in a matter of a day or so, and sell it for a lot of money on the black market, how you gonna stop it? The money would be tax free, as well!
But then, I guess the "War On Drugs" has worked so well at all levels of government, that some folks think a similar "War On Guns" will also work.
Actually, come to think on it, the results would more than likely be EXACTLY the same!
Which is to say; TOTAL FAILURE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies