Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,129,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Except oil and gas production has risen under Obama.....
Which drives him nuts...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,077,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Boy, you guys really do buy into this fear mongering don't ya? This, wars on women, education, doctors...... the Dems really are low IQ voters

I am glad I don't run scared because some agenda driven politician tells me to
Lolz. I asked the poster a question.... What does your post have anything to do with anything?

All you are doing is showing your lack of education and low iq...

Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,172,502 times
Why not build a massive off-sore drilling Rig and drill down and tap into and capture and store it as fuel for busses and trains and slowly release the pressure build up?

All Doom and Gloom...I say why not tap into the positives of this and benefit from it and create some jobs and whole new industry out of this that helps our economy grow.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,908,718 times
What is amusing is even Schmidt from RC isn't touching this paper.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Peer reviewed theories are still theories and not fact.

Fact: global temps rise and fall.

Theory: Man is causing it.

Fact: warmer in the MWP than now.

Fact: volcanos cause climate change.

Theory: Man causes climate change.

I will stick with facts.

Get back to me when theories become facts.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 PM

As to the claims of the OP's paper:

Methane Hydrates and Contemporary Climate Change

Quote:
Conclusions

Catastrophic, widespread dissociation of methane gas hydrates will not be triggered by continued climate warming at contemporary rates (0.2ÂşC per decade; IPCC 2007) over timescales of a few hundred years. Most of Earth's gas hydrates occur at low saturations and in sediments at such great depths below the seafloor or onshore permafrost that they will barely be affected by warming over even 103 yr. Even when CH4 is liberated from gas hydrates, oxidative and physical processes may greatly reduce the amount that reaches the atmosphere as CH4. The CO2 produced by oxidation of CH4 released from dissociating gas hydrates will likely have a greater impact on the Earth system (e.g., on ocean chemistry and atmospheric CO2 concentrations; Archer et al. 2009) than will the CH4 that remains after passing through various sinks.

Contemporary and future gas hydrate degradation will occur primarily on the circum-Arctic Ocean continental shelves (Sector 2; Macdonald 1990, Lachenbruch et al. 1994, Maslin 2010), where subsea permafrost thawing and methane hydrate dissociation have been triggered by warming and inundation since Late Pleistocene time, and at the feather edge of the GHSZ on upper continental slopes (Sector 3), where the zone's full thickness can dissociate rapidly due to modest warming of intermediate waters. More CH4 may be sequestered in upper continental slope gas hydrates than in those associated with subsea permafrost; however, CH4 that reaches the seafloor from dissociating Arctic Ocean shelf gas hydrates is much more likely to enter the atmosphere rapidly and as CH4, not CO2. Proof is still lacking that gas hydrate dissociation currently contributes to seepage from upper continental slopes or to elevated seawater CH4 concentrations on circum-Arctic Ocean shelves. An even greater challenge for the future is determining the contribution of global gas hydrate dissociation to contemporary and future atmospheric CH4 concentrations.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,259,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Peer reviewed theories are still theories and not fact.

Fact: global temps rise and fall.

Theory: Man is causing it.

Fact: warmer in the MWP than now.

Fact: volcanos cause climate change.

Theory: Man causes climate change.

I will stick with facts.

Get back to me when theories become facts.
So, I guess you don't believe in gravity or evolution, either?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So, I guess you don't believe in gravity or evolution, either?

Gravity can be tested empirically and consistently establishes itself via proper scientific experiment.

CAGW can not establish itself through the same means as it is based on compounding assumptions.

Though I think his claim about the MWP is incorrect. There is debate as to the extent of MWP and our past peaks, though to be honest, my money is on the MWP being warmer as there is a lot of evidence that supports it.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Please link to the papers that show the previous research was in error. Please show us the revised temp profile. Prove this lie.
It was disproved because of selective data that was massaged/revised to get the desired result.

Why you haven't heard any more about it.

Why al-Gore has been silent.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,273,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It was disproved because of selective data that was massaged/revised to get the desired result.

Why you haven't heard any more about it.

Why al-Gore has been silent.
I don't believe you. I asked you to prove your claim, not repeat it. Please link to the papers that show the previous research was in error. Please show us the revised temp profile. Prove this lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies