Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Why do Chinese students routinely outperform Americans in public schools?
The Chinese are a little smarter and value academic achievement a little more, on average, than others. They are more willing to do what it takes to produce good results. That includes both hard work and cheating.

Quote:
Hmm? Gee, could it be the laziness of American kids, and their entitled
parents who think Junior should not have to exert himself by STUDYING? Nah,
can't be THAT!
Do Euro-American kids study less than than European kids or produce lower test results? How about Hispanic American kids compared with other Hispanics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
This entire post fails to address why American students are flunking, while Chinese students in the U.S. are doing fantastically well and outperforming Americans. And don't tell me that the Chinese are smarter.
What are you talking about. I was addressing a post that said it was the unions fault. I was responding that the problem starts with the parents.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
This entire post fails to address why American students are flunking, while Chinese students in the U.S. are doing fantastically well and outperforming Americans. And don't tell me that the Chinese are smarter.
If you're comparing test scores of the two countries, only certain Chinese students are included in the sample, while all American students are included.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
And don't tell me that the Chinese are smarter.
Because you would prefer not to know?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The Chinese are a little smarter and value academic achievement a little more, on average, than others. They are more willing to do what it takes to produce good results. That includes both hard work and cheating.
ROFLMAO! Don't talk to me about cheating. I've caught American students with test answers on the bottom of their shoes, passing notes back and forth, and all kinds of crap. Go back to the drawing board and try some new explanation of why Chinese kids are outperforming Americans in public schools.

As for the Chinese being smarter - Huh? What?

Yes, Chinese kids ARE willing to study at home, do their assignments, pay attention, and not act like idiots in class (which is what students are supposed to do), contrary to what American kids do. That is a fact.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
.....so why are liberal countries running circles around you?
The United States is currently a liberal country - so we are at par with the liberal nations that you cite, unfortunately.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Because you would prefer not to know?
Are you actually trying to tell me that Chinese brains are superior? Please say you're not!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
ROFLMAO!

Huh? What?

That is a fact.
Somehow I am not entirely convinced by your argument.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What are you talking about. I was addressing a post that said it was the unions fault. I was responding that the problem starts with the parents.
The reason American students are doing dismally has to do with the students and their feeling of entitlement thanks to the parents, yes. It has ZERO to do with good teachers, bad teachers, midlin teachers, or any teachers. I taught here and the students in the U.S. are frikkin' ridiculous. They seem to think school is a place to socialize and be given free grades, and their parents believe their little ones should not have to exert themselves ever.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Oh here we go again. BS. Why do Chinese students routinely outperform Americans in public schools? Hmm? Gee, could it be the laziness of American kids, and their entitled parents who think Junior should not have to exert himself by STUDYING? Nah, can't be THAT!
Well, Harrier studied, and that is why he is a college graduate.

Perhaps you are thinking of Americans who did not take advantage of the opportunities presented to them?

Oh, wait. Apparently you taught them.

Students tend to emulate their instructors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies