Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times

Advertisements

You hear a lot folks, mostly conservatives and teabaggers, about how far we've strayed from our Founding Fathers and the Constitution; how this has affected how big our govt has become.

But what is a limited govt? How small does it have to be?

Can someone give me specifics?

Like.... Should the size of the govt be a certain % of our GDP?
Does it mean public education is unconstitutional?
Should we never have put a man on the moon?
Should we not regulate motor vehicles?

Lastly, why do you think or perceive the Constitution is some unchanging document or that we've strayed far from? It was written when we had a few million people and were mostly an agrarian society.

Personally, I think it is all rhetoric by politicians and those who subscribe to their ideology. I think people use this phrase so they can arbitrarily pick and choose what a govt function should be and use the Constitution to support their own personal views. And that is fine is true, but then why hide under that pretense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You hear a lot folks, mostly conservatives and teabaggers, about how far we've strayed from our Founding Fathers and the Constitution; how this has affected how big our govt has become.

Lastly, why do you think or perceive the Constitution is some unchanging document or that we've strayed far from? It was written when we had a few million people and were mostly an agrarian society.

Personally, I think it is all rhetoric by politicians and those who subscribe to their ideology. I think people use this phrase so they can arbitrarily pick and choose what a govt function should be and use the Constitution to support their own personal views. And that is fine is true, but then why hide under that pretense?
Rhetoric? well I guess when your ideas fail and collapse under their own weight I guess you have to scream, and yell "racist" and "domestic terrorist" at everyone who has a better idea then you.

Last edited by gunlover; 07-25-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Read the U.S. Constitution, particularly Article I, Section 8.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Read the constitution then look at the government and see all of the things the government does that are not listed in the constitution. The constitution is not a limit on the people, it is a limit on the government. How to change the constitution is actually listed in the constitution, I know, pretty crazy.

Pro Tip: If you want real dialogue it is best not to demonize the group you want to in-gauge in the OP.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,079 times
Quote:

I agree with what you think.

My view is that Government should not implement any policies or legislate laws that are maternal/ paternal in nature.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Rhetoric? well I guess when your ideas fail and collapse under their own weight I guess you have to scream, and yell "racist" and "domestic terrorist" at everyone who has a better idea then you.

yes its rhetoric when the GOP preaches limited Government. Its limited Government in their view.

Ask them to reduce our military burden or let women have access to safe abortions or my right to walk down a street without wondering if I am being spied on.
The GOP is nothing but a schill for the neocon agenda. and the tea party was just the original GOP on roids.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:

The Constitution is not an unchanging document. It clearly lays out the process for changing it. People don't like when it changes because of politicians that would prefer to think it shouldn't apply to them.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The Liberal idea of small government is to support the indigent as well as research into the way the universe works.

The conservative idea of small government is to believe the bible, support big weapons and banking business, chastize the poor and make certain women have to carry unwanted pregnancies.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
The Constitution is certainly a "living document" - it is alive and well today - and it speaks to us every day through the federal judiciary. It lives in pace with the times. See Thomas Jefferson, "Popular Basis of Political Authority", Papers 15:392-97 (6 Sept. 1789). It continues to sustain our nation of laws because its provisions are flexible enough to survive change, while yet preserving the spirit as well as the letter of the laws that govern us. Were it otherwise, our nation under law would have dissolved long ago.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Liberal idea of small government is to support the indigent as well as research into the way the universe works.

The conservative idea of small government is to believe the bible, support big weapons and banking business, chastize the poor and make certain women have to carry unwanted pregnancies.
Greg this is very accurate. Liberal/Libertarian should be fairly interchangeable terms.
Unfortunately the Bachmann led brigade hijacked the term Libertarian to somehow apply it to facism!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies