Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I havent seen many 'micromanaged college students' working at the Dollar Store. Seriously where do you get this bizarre talking point?.

Yes, poor people exist (especially in the south). Some of these people barely have a GED and have kids to feed. So they work at a junk store.

rwnjs hating on the poorest of the poor here ought to know better. Im sure there's plenty of Dollar Generals in Arkansas, home of China-mart.
Many/most of the right-wingers here who denigrate the poor are themselves poor. Everyone needs to understand why they act the way they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Dollar General is interesting because that's how I knew right away that this country was landing in the dumpster. Dollar Generals began to spring up everywhere along with right wing ideology, a sign that poverty was increasing by leaps and bounds. Dollar Generals and Goodwills - the CURRENT landscape of our once-great country since the right wingnuts took over.
First off, there's a LOT of partisan hyperbole in that post, but you are generally correct. The prevalence of dollar stores is an outward indicator of the economic health of an area, especially in rural locations. It's not the fault of the people in the community, and you can't blame the companies for filling market gaps. But you can see where the economic winds of an area are blowing when construction of ugly metal buildings for discount stores is the construction activity.

And for the record, super low-end cost retail is not sustainable rural economic development. It's a poor income generator and generally not a best use of developable land.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Presidents have to work with the Congress to get anything done. Unfortunately, the right wing extremist individuals occupying Congress have dug in their heels and are hell-bent if they're going to allow any change from the Reaganist trickle-down BS system they put in place.

However, you seem to think President Obama has a magic wand that can rid Congress of these a-holes. Please tell me where that magic wand is, and hell, I'll use it!!
When you are finished with your meltdown, please note that the congress was dem controlled for the first 2 years of Obama's presidency.

I'm not expecting a miracle, I think you are one of the posters that are too far gone politically but have you ever considered that the reps and dems aren't that different and that the side you root for might occasionally feed you a line of BS? I mean you see it when the reps do it, do you just naturally assume it's not being done to you by "your party" because you don't notice it?

I'd bet you are against NAFTA and the damage it did to US manufacturing and unions.....but turn around and vote for NAFTA signers because you don't know any better and think they are there to protect the "little guy" from evil republicans, because they told you so and....you believe every word.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
FYI- anyone carping about Dollar General type stores needs to understand that their employment patterns differ greatly between rural and urban areas.

In rural areas, they can find employees that have few other work options and thus a cut above what you can get in urban areas where the better candidates go work places like Costco etc. that pays twice as much with benefits.

Classic supply and demand.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
FYI- anyone carping about Dollar General type stores needs to understand that their employment patterns differ greatly between rural and urban areas.

In rural areas, they can find employees that have few other work options and thus a cut above what you can get in urban areas where the better candidates go work places like Costco etc. that pays twice as much with benefits.

Classic supply and demand.
Hey, that was two pretty darn good meltdowns in a row! What's your record?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When you are finished with your meltdown, please note that the congress was dem controlled for the first 2 years of Obama's presidency.

I'm not expecting a miracle, I think you are one of the posters that are too far gone politically but have you ever considered that the reps and dems aren't that different and that the side you root for might occasionally feed you a line of BS? I mean you see it when the reps do it, do you just naturally assume it's not being done to you by "your party" because you don't notice it?

I'd bet you are against NAFTA and the damage it did to US manufacturing and unions.....but turn around and vote for NAFTA signers because you don't know any better and think they are there to protect the "little guy" from evil republicans, because they told you so and....you believe every word.
A very agenda-ridden post. Very agenda-ridden.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
They understand that Barack is not qualified to propose anything of value. Being a community organizer does not make members of Congress who are mostly BUSINESS OWNERS back home inclined to go along with something he saw in a text book in college.

Whose opinion is more valid? The CEO of Marriott or some guy who scooped a few ice cream cones one summer as a teenager?
In 2010 the president created a bipartisan National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform(Simpson-Bowles). David Cote, a Republican, and CEO of Honeywell, and a member of this group, has been very outspoken that it's all about Medicare. The program needs to be reformed and income taxes increased.

Congress has no appetite to address the recommendations.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
I don't know how this thread spiraled into a D vs R thing, evil corporate thugs having peons working for peanuts has been going on forever and ever, but it's good that articles like those in the OP {original post} link are out there, so educated consumers can make choices of who they're willing to do business with.

While I despise stores mentioned in this thread, I do make a good effort to buy what we need from my local grocers and suppliers, but it's difficult doing that because sometimes they carry the same junk at higher prices. It's like chasing your own tail sometimes.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lmao! Indeed. The employees that have it most together are the "greeters" at the entrance. A specific question about s product or service in a particular department is venerally met with deer in the headlights or an indifferent shrug.

Lowes and Home Depot are that way to. They are supposed to have "trade professionals" that can help you out buuuuuut, that's not really the case, most of the time. I used to tear my hair out Just looking for specialty tools. It was hard to find anyone who knew what a basin wrench is. Trying to explain what a closet auger is was an amusing interlude once to.
They, like most other publicly-traded companies, are governed to stock price. No need to pay a premium to someone who knows what a closet auger is, when customers who do know will eventually locate and buy it.

Customers vote with their wallet and most are unwilling to pay more to a ma/pa store that charges more because of the double bubble, lack of economies of scale and because they might have to pay more to people who know more.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
LOL, I went to a Home Depot and asked for needle nose pliers. I got a blank stare.

I ended up going to an Ace hardware.
Ace Hardware stores are independently-owned franchises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies