Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Don't believe everything Zimmerman says.

No blood on Trayvon's hands.

How about witness John Good that testified that he saw Martin on top of Zimmerman beating him with his fists. Can we believe him??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It seeems to me that you might ascribing personalty traits to someone that you do not know. Did you not read where I said that he could have held them at gunpoint? Suppose we decide that Horn is good natured old coot that had a hot-headed moment...does that not establish that this law, which he cited when shooting these guys, played a role in an avoidable killing and will again?

I stand my ground as to the content of my previous post.

Former NRA President: We Helped Draft Florida's "Stand Your Ground" Law | Blog | Media Matters for America

How the NRA Fueled Florida's "Stand Your Ground" Law | ThinkProgress

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/ite...on-their-hands

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...-bear-and-use/

Former NRA President: We Helped Draft Florida's "Stand Your Ground" Law

"There is no doubt about it. Marion Hammer, the NRA lobbyist here, former president of the NRA wrote the legislation and she would tell you so," Flemming told Media Matters.

Asked how he discovered that the NRA had co-written the legislation, Flemming stated: "She told me, I talked to her. I speak to Marion and certainly spoke to Sen. Peaden regularly. The observation is that they have their legislative priorities every year and that was one." He added, "All of the gun laws that come through the Florida legislature, she writes."

Hammer recalled that the law came about after an incident following Hurricane Ivan in 2004 in which 77-year-old James Workman shot an intruder who broke into his RV after the deadly storm. Months before the statute was passed, prosecutors declined to press charges against Workman, saying he had legally acted in self-defense.

"Yes, we helped," Hammer said. "Sen. Peaden and I had a conversation, he was outraged at what had happened and ... they had not decided whether to charge this man. He says, 'what are we going to do about it?' I said 'we can work on some legislation to deal with this issue.' It is not an uncommon problem."

She added, "he came to us, we helped draft it, he took it, he put it in the bill drafting, it came out of bill drafting, it came through the process, it passed."

Former NRA President: We Helped Draft Florida's "Stand Your Ground" Law | Blog | Media Matters for America
What personality traits do you believe I have ascribed to you?

With regard to the NRA thing, I think you're misunderstanding the last bit of my comment.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
What personality traits do you believe I have ascribed to you?

With regard to the NRA thing, I think you're misunderstanding the last bit of my comment.
I was referring to Horn.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
It seeems to me that you might ascribing personalty traits to someone that you do not know. Did you not read where I said that he could have held them at gunpoint? Suppose we decide that Horn is good natured old coot that had a hot-headed moment...does that not establish that this law, which he cited when shooting these guys, played a role in an avoidable killing and will again?

I stand my ground as to the content of my previous post.

How the NRA Fueled Florida's "Stand Your Ground" Law | ThinkProgress

ALEC and the NRA Have Blood on Their Hands

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...-bear-and-use/

Former NRA President: We Helped Draft Florida's "Stand Your Ground" Law

"There is no doubt about it. Marion Hammer, the NRA lobbyist here, former president of the NRA wrote the legislation and she would tell you so," Flemming told Media Matters.

Asked how he discovered that the NRA had co-written the legislation, Flemming stated: "She told me, I talked to her. I speak to Marion and certainly spoke to Sen. Peaden regularly. The observation is that they have their legislative priorities every year and that was one." He added, "All of the gun laws that come through the Florida legislature, she writes."

Hammer recalled that the law came about after an incident following Hurricane Ivan in 2004 in which 77-year-old James Workman shot an intruder who broke into his RV after the deadly storm. Months before the statute was passed, prosecutors declined to press charges against Workman, saying he had legally acted in self-defense.

"Yes, we helped," Hammer said. "Sen. Peaden and I had a conversation, he was outraged at what had happened and ... they had not decided whether to charge this man. He says, 'what are we going to do about it?' I said 'we can work on some legislation to deal with this issue.' It is not an uncommon problem."

She added, "he came to us, we helped draft it, he took it, he put it in the bill drafting, it came out of bill drafting, it came through the process, it passed."

First of all, Joe Horn's case has nothing to do with SYG law. I personally donated to his legal team and also attended analysis offered by one of the prominent attorneys on why this case had nothing to do with SYG and self-defense.

Secondly, SYG is a good law. The law is crystal clear and the only thing vague is your mind and the media spin. Word of advice: do not rely on the media for legal advise. Too many ignorant people think they can stand their ground because of the media spin but in reality, they can't and shouldn't. They are rotting in prison now.

Thirdly, if you disagree that we have the right to protect ourselves and our property, then we have to agree to disagree. In Texas we have such right and we use them often. I have no sympathy for criminals who prey on good citizens. Life is better without them.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
How about witness John Good that testified that he saw Martin on top of Zimmerman beating him with his fists. Can we believe him??
No, he's a creep.

A metered creep.

He is . . . The Man From Prim.

How about Selma Mora?

Now, there's someone you can believe!

Unless you are a flat chested white woman.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
But there are people who insist on profiling young black men this way while Zim, the real gun toting thug later posing as victim, exited his vehicle with no provocation, manifested the same racist mindset of Spaten.
Neither the police, the prosecutor, the FBI, the special prosecutor, Rachel Jeantel, nor the jury found any evidence of racism or racial profiling.

Take off your tinfoil hat & stop projecting your prejudices on other people.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You are trying to reason with a clearly delusional person. Good Luck.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Law says if you miss, it was a warning shot and that gets you an assault charge.

The law thereofre demands the potential perp be shot somewhere on the body or else the shooter gets charged.
That why we practice.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
First of all, Joe Horn's case has nothing to do with SYG law. I personally calldonated to his legal team and also attended analysis offered by one of the prominent attorneys on why this case had nothing to do with SYG and self-defense.

Secondly, SYG is a good law. The law is crystal clear and the only thing vague is your mind and the media spin. Word of advice: do not rely on the media for legal advise. Too many ignorant people think they can stand their ground because of the media spin but in reality, they can't and shouldn't. They are rotting in prison now.

Thirdly, if you disagree that we have the right to protect ourselves and our property, then we have to agree to disagree. In Texas we have such right and we use them often. I have no sympathy for criminals who prey on good citizens. Life is better without them.
Of course his stance had nothing to do with self defense. That was obvious from the 911 call. But he referred to it in that call as justification for doing what he was about to do. That is the point. Correct me if I am wrong, but did he not kill these men as they were fleeing his neighbor's house and not his? Why did he shoot to kill? Is burglary, as offensive as it is, punishable by execution? I suppose it is in Taliban Texas law.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-25-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
I was referring to Horn.
In that case, I'm sure I have a far better sense of his personal character - no matter how flawed he may be - than most you will correspond with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies