Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And your ability to accurately account what others are posting is again shown to be non-existent.

No one thinks the insurance company and the state need to step in and do anything.

NO ONE.

But those of us who have owned and managed businesses actually do know that insurance companies can impose requirements on businesses, and can cancel your insurance if you don't meet those requirements. And we know that most business cannot operate if they cannot get insurance.

So once again:

You work for an employer.

The employer has rules.

Many of the rules are made because of legal and insurance requirements.

You break the rules.

The employer fires you for breaking the rules.

this is about as loopy as a kid makes a gun out of his thumb and forefinger, says bang
and is expelled for threats
zero tolerance

good grief
the teacher did the right thing!!
I applaud her and I say none of the rest of you who are peeing in your pants about her
should have kids in your care
the owner of the day care is completely over reacting
I hope the parents there realize this jerk just fired a very good attentive staff worker
what about the irresponsible one who left food in the over??
maybe they were afraid to leave the kids unattended while they cut off the oven
makes about as much sense as these looney bins on this thread!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,613,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Here's a suggestion since you're so convinced that this daycare is the core of all that is unholy and wrong. Run your own daycare! Tell people they shouldn't follow the rules if "common sense" tells them not to do so. See how far that gets you.

I have an ever better idea: if this employee doesn't like the rules, she doesn't have to work there. Isn't that the free market? Is anyone forcing her to work there? Is anyone forcing anyone to work there? If their employees have such a disdain for rules, they should go find some anarchist daycare.

I think that anyone/everyone who has kids and who has a daycare center in their neighborhood should go to said daycare center and ask them what is their policy regarding supervision.
Too many people in this thread seem to think that a 100% supervised policy is completely arbitrary or somehow unique to this situation.

I think a lot of people would be very surprised to find out otherwise.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,528,821 times
Quote:
Playing "What if" again? Here, I'll help. What if there were teacher's aides helping some of the teachers? What if the owner was in her office available to help out? What if there was a secretary, bookkeeper, cook, janitor around? You don't know if every other teacher couldn't leave their room, and even if that were the case, children are mobile, you can take them to another classroom and ask another teacher to watch them because you've smelled smoke and are concerned about a possible fire.
Have you ever worked in a day care center? There is no secretary; there is no bookkeeper, cook or janitor around... at least there were none in every single day care/pre-school that I worked in. It was a few teachers and the director (who nine times out of ten was NOT the owner, as it appears in this story) and during naptime was when teachers got to go eat their own lunch (or just take a break) and the director would fill in for the teacher.
The school that I worked for where I put out the fire was a bit different. The 4 and 5 year old classrooms were connected by one of those folding walls. During naptime when one of us took a break, the other sat between the classrooms with the wall folded back a bit. This way the kids were always supervised and the director did not have to come into the rooms to relieve us.
In my case, it was the director who started the fire and it was reported to the owner and nothing ever came out of it except the owner did pay to have the stove vent replaced.

These children were sleeping. Most kids who lie down to nap in day care do fall asleep. They were in no danger (unless from that dreaded closet monster) while the teacher walked into the kitchen to investigate.

They were in no more danger than the kids I took care of in my home when I had to go to the bathroom while they were napping. One year I had 14 kids for the whole summer. While the younger kids napped, the older kids played outside (totally unsupervised!). I often went to the bathroom, or cleaned the kitchen and dining room while they were sleeping. Not once did anything ever happen to those sleeping children while I was out of the room... and I could not see them at all from the dining room.

In all my years of teaching/babysitting I have had two injuries. None ever in day care - well, beyond someone needing a bandaid for one boo-boo or another. One 9 year old cut his finger on a nail (while the older kids were building a fort with hammer and nails - unsupervised again!) and needed to get stitches. I called his mom, she came and got him, took him to the hospital and he came back proudly wearing his bandage.
I was the other injury. I hurt myself diving into the pool. Same summer, I took ALL the kids - who ranged in age from 4 months to 11 years - into the pool all by myself. The older kids were diving and the four 4 year olds wanted to learn how to dive. I decided to teach them. Things went along fine until I dove once without opening my eyes and I ended up smacking my head on the end of the pool. I came up seeing those dang stars! But went on with the lessons and never had one problem with any of those kids in the water.
Wait, I just realized they were all unsupervised while I was under water. Good thing those older kids were taught to watch out for the little guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess you should watch the video if you want to get an idea of what happened. Or in your case don't and know what happened somehow.
It's obvious some haven't watched it. This daycare looks like it is smaller than the average sized house! The kitchen looks no bigger than a shoebox.
It wasn't made clear which classroom was Michelle Hammock's. But it did occur to me that if she could see the oven from her classroom door then she could also see the classroom door from the stove/oven.

To me, this story should really be a non-story. I guess the fire department got involved because the alarm went off (again, I am not clear on who called them), but it appears they were not even needed.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,911,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Things went along fine until I dove once without opening my eyes and I ended up smacking my head on the end of the pool. I came up seeing those dang stars!
Harrier did that once - but not while watching kids.

Harrier also fell from a ten foot high tree house, and was thrown five feet off of a bicycle while riding on the handlebars.

Now the liberals will say that this "explains Harrier" - lol!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:50 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,390,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Harrier also fell from a ten foot high tree house, and was thrown five feet off of a bicycle while riding on the handlebars.

I was also riding down a steep and curvy hill on a bike with my bff sitting on the handle bar and two very heavy grocery bags hanging on each of the handles. Let me tell you we were lucky we both survived. We survived but the milk didn't, non did the flour or the eggs. We were a little bruised up as well. But it was fun after the fact. I must have been about 9 or 10. lol

Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 PM

79,906 posts, read 43,928,273 times
Quote:
If an employer's choice is to fire someone for breaking the rules, or losing their license and business, what choice would YOU make? Lose an employee versus be shut down by state.
The state had no idea there was a fire until the employee was fired and they contacted the news reporter.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,528,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Probably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I was also riding down a steep and curvy hill on a bike with my bff sitting on the handle bar and two very heavy grocery bags hanging on each of the handles. Let me tell you we were lucky we both survived. We survived but the milk didn't, non did the flour or the eggs. We were a little bruised up as well. But it was fun after the fact. I must have been about 9 or 10. lol
Ouch!

I bet you both were unsupervised and THAT is why you got hurt.

I also am guessing neither of you were wearing today's required bike gear: helmet, knee pads, elbow pads... and sometimes bubble wrap .

We sledded down steep city streets without supervision. Too many injuries there to describe in one post. Somehow we all survived.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Probably!

Ouch!

I bet you both were unsupervised and THAT is why you got hurt.

I also am guessing neither of you were wearing today's required bike gear: helmet, knee pads, elbow pads... and sometimes bubble wrap .
Nope, no helmet, and the result was...ugly...to say the least.

Harrier can't remember if he needed stitches - that time.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
We sledded down steep city streets without supervision. Too many injuries there to describe in one post. Somehow we all survived.
Here is a great video and song that sums up the resiliency of our generation and/or older (Harrier assumes that you are over 30)!

Bucky Covington - A Different World - YouTube

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,390,755 times
Somehow we all survived back when I grew up in the 80's and 90's. We did some pretty dangerous things. But my dad who grew up in the 40's and 50's in a small town in southern Sweden, he did some real crazy stuff. They must have been super unsupervised back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies