Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,499,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Not one poster on this thread has a clue.

Here's how it works when children are in your care.

Your first responsibility is safety of the children. You are trained to help and protect the children.

You are NOT trained to fight fires. That's why you have a rule to stay with the children.

You all are saying the most ridiculous things just for an opportunity slam the daycare owner and complain about regulations. So it was a small microwave fire. The rules are written to take everything into account and NEVER assume that is will turn put to be just a small microwave fire.

It could have been a huge microwave fire. It could have been a chemical fire. It could have been right inside the door so that the teacher could be injured upon opening the door, and them the precious children would have been on their own.

Ask any firefighter if they want civilians in buildings full of people to play Fisher Price Firefighter. Civilians very often make fires worse. Evidently all of you geniuses posting here about "common sense" missed that lesson in first grade.

As a lifeguard in an inner city YMCA, I once had an experience like this. A fire alarm went off. A manager ignores rules and decides that instead of seeing to the safety of patrons, she'd go see for herself.

I knew the rules. I did nothing except evacuate the pool IMMEDIATELY. By the time the manager had satisfied her curiosity, and discovered that an old house just a few feet away from where the chlorine storage shed was fully engulfed, I has all adults and children our of that pool AND out of the locker room safely down the street and undert supervision.

What a pathetic bunch of whiners on this thread. I hope none of you are ever in charge of other people playing cowboy.

Uh hello you must have missed my post a way back.

All valid points though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,808,909 times
Quote:

Your first responsibility is safety of the children. You are trained to help and protect the children.

You are NOT trained to fight fires. That's why you have a rule to stay with the children.

You all are saying the most ridiculous things just for an opportunity slam the daycare owner and complain about regulations. So it was a small microwave fire. The rules are written to take everything into account and NEVER assume that is will turn put to be just a small microwave fire.

It could have been a huge microwave fire. It could have been a chemical fire. It could have been right inside the door so that the teacher could be injured upon opening the door, and them the precious children would have been on their own.

Ask any firefighter if they want civilians in buildings full of people to play Fisher Price Firefighter. Civilians very often make fires worse. Evidently all of you geniuses posting here about "common sense" missed that lesson in first grade.

As a lifeguard in an inner city YMCA, I once had an experience like this. A fire alarm went off. A manager ignores rules and decides that instead of seeing to the safety of patrons, she'd go see for herself.

I knew the rules. I did nothing except evacuate the pool IMMEDIATELY. By the time the manager had satisfied her curiosity, and discovered that an old house just a few feet away from where the chlorine storage shed was fully engulfed, I has all adults and children our of that pool AND out of the locker room safely down the street and undert supervision.

What a pathetic bunch of whiners on this thread. I hope none of you are ever in charge of other people playing cowboy.

You show me the body of individuals CAPABLE of writing rules that take everything into account. Even Einstein would NEVER be this presumptuous.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM

28,874 posts, read 14,238,191 times
Quote:

I still would rather have my children with someone that can think on thier feet vs follow rules. I guess some people just can't get logic or common sense.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,649,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I still would rather have my children with someone that can think on thier feet vs follow rules. I guess some people just can't get logic or common sense.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,909,657 times
Quote:
The rules are written to take everything into account and NEVER assume that is will turn put to be just a small microwave fire.
Well I don't know how YOU assume but if some chicken nuggets are cooking in the kitchen and I smell something burning I'm going to assume it's the chicken nuggets. I guess you assume that it's a 55 gallon drum of oil burning and will run off.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,764,561 times
Interestingly, government regulations probably did require the presence of the fire extinguisher in the facility.

That no one was allowed to use.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I don't know how YOU assume but if some chicken nuggets are cooking in the kitchen and I smell something burning I'm going to assume it's the chicken nuggets. I guess you assume that it's a 55 gallon drum of oil burning and will run off.
That's not what he said. The issue is not about what is on fire. The issue is about following the rule that you stay with the children and not play firefighter.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Interestingly, government regulations probably did require the presence of the fire extinguisher in the facility.

That no one was allowed to use.
Not necessarily. Unfortunately, the stupid article doesn't say who was responsible for food preparation, or who should have been around when the fire started. It's possible (likely?) that the kitchen staff should have been more attentive, and/or that they are the ones who would use the fire extinguisher in the kitchen. If I were a parent of a kid there, I'd be more concerned about what led to the fire starting, and why it was a caregiver, not kitchen staff, who was the first to notice.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,863,085 times
Quote:

I would venture to guess that a large majority know how to use a small kitchen extinguisher to put out a burning chicken nugget. And the daycare is liable if they are providing extinguishers for cases like this and not training their employee's how to use it in the rare case they do not know how.

Quote:

It could have been Miss Sandy sneaking a smoke. Why wasn't anyone watching the chicken nuggets? Is it not the daycares responsibility also to make sure that people understand how to heat up chicken nuggets?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,909,657 times
Chicken nuggets cooking. I'm the teacher and I smell something burning in the kitchen. My first instinct isn't to grab every child call 911 and head for the hills. I guess I use common sense though. So even though chicken nuggets were cooking in the kitchen and the smell was coming from the kitchen that it could have been anything burning. That is what he and you are now saying. That makes no sense at all. Hey maybe somebody parked a fuel tanker in the kitchen after they put the nuggets in?? I mean you just never now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies