Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think it's super icky. I can talk to my children about loving relationships and commitment without throwing a dance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
they just flashed a stat on the screen that girls who participate in purity balls are just as likely to have premarital sex as girls who do not participate, but less likely to use condoms. I don't know how true this is. I'll google it. it also said the first country overseas to have purity balls was Finland. that surprises me considering the number of non religious people in scandanavian countries.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Creepy beyond belief. Girls pledge their virginity to their fathers.
Where are the balls where boys pledge their virginity to their mothers?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I have no idea what a "purity ball" is.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM

I guess that claim was true:

[A]ccording to a study released today.... [t]he new analysis of data from a large federal survey found that more than half of youths became sexually active before marriage regardless of whether they had taken a "virginity pledge," but that the percentage who took precautions against pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases was 10 points lower for pledgers than for non-pledgers.
"Taking a pledge doesn't seem to make any difference at all in any sexual behavior," said Janet E. Rosenbaum of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, whose report appears in the January issue of the journal Pediatrics. "But it does seem to make a difference in condom use and other forms of birth control that is quite striking."

How Do You Feel About Purity Balls?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
ummm....no thank you. my son can keep his virginity...his purity...and his balls to himself....lol

Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol riiight. I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that boys will stay virgins until marriage.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
I would think that if you raised your daughter right to begin with there is no need for them. Ironically, the very people who need them the most will never have one.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it's ridiculous that a woman's so-called 'purity' is held in such great esteem by so many people.
It has likely never been held in less esteem than it is in present day Western societies. These "purity balls" are a reaction to the massive transformation of values we've seen over the past 50 years.

Quote:
Then to say that it's ok to have sex with one person is just confusing.
But isn't it a lot less confusing than to say that you can have sex with anyone you want? Sexual choices are difficult and have serious consequesnce, often negative. That's why society used to regulate them so strictly.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It has likely never been held in less esteem than it is in present day Western societies. These "purity balls" are a reaction to the massive transformation of values we've seen over the past 50 years.

But isn't it a lot less confusing than to say that you can have sex with anyone you want? Sexual choices are difficult and have serious consequesnce, often negative. That's why society used to regulate them so strictly.
They used to regulate them...for women.

Where are the purity balls for young men? Why aren't young men pledging that they'll stay virgins until marriage to their Mothers?

It's confusing because you're telling young girls that sex is dirty and that she must stay pure, but then it's okay to have sex with one person...why isn't that dirty as well? It's confusing and it teaches women that sex is something to be feared and that their natural desires are wrong and shameful.

You CAN have sex with anyone you want... I think it's more important to discuss the consequences, make sure they're aware of ways to stay safe and make sure these girls are armed with the knowledge to make healthy decisions. Not just telling them that sex will make them dirty and undesirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies