U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:05 PM

13,781 posts, read 23,758,379 times

Advertisements

So they are dying because you disagree with their editorial position concerning a State Supreme Court decision?

Gee, and I thought it was due to cable tv and the internet. Guess I learn something new every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 09:10 PM

19,498 posts, read 20,844,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So they are dying because you disagree with their editorial position concerning a State Supreme Court decision?

Gee, and I thought it was due to cable tv and the internet. Guess I learn something new every day!
No, they are dying becuase they have such obvious contempt for their readership.

The Pleasure Principle

Old 11-10-2007, 09:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,402,235 times
I have to side with NewToCA on this one.

Especially with news being available via cell phones, PDA's etc. there is precious little call for any print media------if the news is breaking.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have to side with NewToCA on this one.

Especially with news being available via cell phones, PDA's etc. there is precious little call for any print media------if the news is breaking.
Hey, I'm cool with that. As long as the bastids go out of business.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Hey, I'm cool with that. As long as the bastids go out of business.
Now, as a fellow believer in the free market, you can't really believe they aren't responsive to their advertisers and readers. Nor can you believe they are supposed to poll their readers prior to taking a position on issues. No newspaper of any stature ever polled reader sentiment to establish editorial perspectives.

I believe they will continue to exist, but morph into a hybrid entity with presence in multiple medias.

More to your core complaint though, the Washington folks need to reword the initiative to fix the problems agreed with by the Washington State Supreme Court. The folks drafting the initiative need to fix the wording, then go ahead and place it back on the ballot.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Now, as a fellow believer in the free market, you can't really believe they aren't responsive to their advertisers and readers. Nor can you believe they are supposed to poll their readers prior to taking a position on issues. No newspaper of any stature ever polled reader sentiment to establish editorial perspectives.

I believe they will continue to exist, but morph into a hybrid entity with presence in multiple medias.

More to your core complaint though, the Washington folks need to reword the initiative to fix the problems agreed with by the Washington State Supreme Court. The folks drafting the initiative need to fix the wording, then go ahead and place it back on the ballot.
"Agreed with" by a 5-4 vote, with the Chief Justice questioning his colleagues' inability to trust the citizens' ability to read and think for themselves? Not in this single case, but regularly? The "poll" to which you derisively refer was taken in something called the General Election, and in this case, 58.5% of the voters expressed their will.

The editorial was irresponsible and condescending, and a subversion of the peoples' democratic expression of their opinion. This kind of thing goes on on a regular basis in Seattle, and throughout this state.

Shallow thinking, obvious partisanship, slapdash reporting, and an elitist attitude toward the citizens have earned newspapers their shrinking credibility. I know for a fact that the P-I and the Times (Seattle's other newspaper) will either merge, or one will simply fall on its sword, within the very near future. It is shameful that the people of this state will be deprived of credible and competent journalism through the willful abdication of responsibility on the part of these publications.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
The "poll" to which you derisively refer was taken in something called the General Election, and in this case, 58.5% of the voters expressed their will.

Actually, as you posed the topic, the "poll" would be of the reader sentiment about the Washington State Supreme Court decision, not the initiative itself.

Two separate issues there.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:09 AM

985 posts, read 2,547,270 times
Quote:
No, they are dying becuase they have such obvious contempt for their readership.

The Pleasure Principle

Actually, they are losing money because their classified ads base is taking a beating due to craigslist being free for regular folks, and almost free for businesses (and yes, people used to buy papers just for the classifieds, so circulation has taken a hit from that too).

Craigslist costs SF papers millions in job ads revenue - Dec. 28, 2004

(SF is the home of craigslist, and it is VERY popular there)

Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
Actually, they are losing money because their classified ads base is taking a beating due to craigslist being free for regular folks, and almost free for businesses (and yes, people used to buy papers just for the classifieds, so circulation has taken a hit from that too).

Craigslist costs SF papers millions in job ads revenue - Dec. 28, 2004

(SF is the home of craigslist, and it is VERY popular there)
CraigsList:

I met my new G/F through them

Bought my beater SUV

G/F got both her cat and dog through C/L

Rhetorically speaking: what is a newspaper 'classified'?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
LOL!! That's priceless

Anyway, I totally concur with your "engage brain first" comment.

No matter what the news source, I always put on my critical thinking cap before reading & believing.

What gets frustrating is after soooo many stories, editorials, etc. the smell of bovine excrement is consistent, continuous and wall-to-wall.

That's when I finally give up, and assume thereafter that the source in question is full of it, no longer worth my time.
Hi LN! Since I spend more than a little time behind the wheel of a truck, I listen (also with brain engaged) a fair amount of talk radio. And, of course, I tune in to TV news (as much as I think most of it is VERY biased) Newspapers are, for me, a source of local news & info and columns like "Dear Abbey" and the local columnists we have. So, to me. the newspaper is just one part of the information stream for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies