Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,406,804 times

Advertisements

It seems as if we've all reached an impasse on the Zimmerman v. Martin case; certain individuals such as myself believe that logically speaking, Zimmerman was indeed protecting himself but nonethless he is guilty of instigating the scenario along with being morally wrong but I'll try to skip pass my reasonings. My question now is when is Self-Defense Justified? Is it possible for me to plan on hiding in someone's closet to perform a prank, and they happen to kill me in the process, justified murder? Or lets say, I'm walking around in someone's backyard at night time looking for my basketball and the homeowner comes out unnoticed, and out of fear I push them to the ground and they shoot me, is that justified murder? Like I said, I believe Zimmermans case is justified although he's morally guilty, but nonethless I'd like a few examples of justified murder that aren't limited to one breaking into ones dwelling.

I know some will say murder is never justified, but please refrain from commenting in this thread if you subscribe to this ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,633,484 times
this is a tough question to answer because everyone is different. the standard is that if you feel that you are threatened with severe bodily harm or death, then you are justified in using extreme force to stop the attacker. and that is the rub, everyones threshold is different. for instance, people like mac muz might have a high threshold, where as someone like katiana might have a low threshold as to fear for their life. and these are just examples, so no insult intended to either of you. then it becomes a matter of convincing a jury that you felt you needed to use extreme force to stop the attack. and juries are notorious for varying standards. in the end you have to do what is best for you in any given situation, and hope that things turn out in the end. i personally would prefer never to have to make the decision to take anothers life, as it is the hardest one that anyone ever has to make, and in the vast majority of occasions, is has to take place in less than a second or two.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,914,498 times
Well if liberals get their way it will never be justified. Just call 911 and cower and hope you aren't killed before the police arrive. Open season for criminals is the goal it appears. They are doing everything in their power now to let them have free reign on society.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,169,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
It seems as if we've all reached an impasse on the Zimmerman v. Martin case; certain individuals such as myself believe that logically speaking, Zimmerman was indeed protecting himself but nonethless he is guilty of instigating the scenario along with being morally wrong but I'll try to skip pass my reasonings. My question now is when is Self-Defense Justified? Is it possible for me to plan on hiding in someone's closet to perform a prank, and they happen to kill me in the process, justified murder? Or lets say, I'm walking around in someone's backyard at night time looking for my basketball and the homeowner comes out unnoticed, and out of fear I push them to the ground and they shoot me, is that justified murder? Like I said, I believe Zimmermans case is justified although he's morally guilty, but nonethless I'd like a few examples of justified murder that aren't limited to one breaking into ones dwelling.

I know some will say murder is never justified, but please refrain from commenting in this thread if you subscribe to this ideology.
Should someone pull a hiding in my closet prank then they are certainly setting themselves up to return to dust. I live alone and have NO expectation of another person on my premises without my knowledge. So... don't ask for it.

As far as your lost basketball, never assume you're welcome in someone else's back yard unannounced. NEVER. Again, ask at the door for your toy rather than the invitation to dust.

Don't let the Kutcher 'You've been Punk'd' thing be the amusing part of losing your life.

And I guess I'd just ask, 'When was it not lawful for two people to be walking the same sidewalk?'

Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,914,498 times
Best work on that jumpshot and temper and the basketball issue would be moot.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,413,617 times
Quote:

Don't go into someone else's yard until you get permission. Don't be out after dark just wandering around, especially in a high crime area. Just use your head but especially don't break someone's nose before you talk to them about what they want and who they are. Also tell them what you are doing if you are just walking to your parents home, especially if they are patrolling the area or the place has a neighborhood watch. Most places post signs when they have a neighborhood watch.

Just be aware and use common sense. Then if someone jumps on you and tries to bash your skull in you can use self-defence to save yourself from being killed.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,539,371 times
Easy - self defense is justified when you're actually defending yourself from an aggressive person. Zimmerman lost the claim when he decided to pursue Martin for no good reason. The women who attacked Rayon Mcintosh lost self defense when they decided to jump over the McDonald's counter to follow him. That woman who got tasered by the Atlanta mall security guard lost any right to self defense when she decided to attack him.

Do people not understand the simple rule of "don't start nothing, won't *be* nothing"?

Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 AM

252 posts, read 262,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Don't go into someone else's yard until you get permission. Don't be out after dark just wandering around, especially in a high crime area. Just use your head but especially don't break someone's nose before you talk to them about what they want and who they are. Also tell them what you are doing if you are just walking to your parents home, especially if they are patrolling the area or the place has a neighborhood watch. Most places post signs when they have a neighborhood watch.

Just be aware and use common sense. Then if someone jumps on you and tries to bash your skull in you can use self-defence to save yourself from being killed.
I would not tell anyone that I didn't know what I was doing. On what authority? That is just silly.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:02 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,392,352 times
Quote:

I am a Christian. If someone breaks into my house, and tries to kill my family and I, and I have access to my gun. I am going to blow his brains out, and pray about it afterwards. So in this case murder is justified if my family is about to be murdered by a robber.

Case #2 If someone tries to rob me, draws a gun on me, and after I give him my money, and he shoots me. If I am strong enough to struggle to take the gun from him, I shoot him and he dies, then I think that my murdering him is justified.

Case #3 IF a racist white person were to confront me, and call me the N word, pulls a knife on me, and wants to fight me. I will try to avoid the situation by leaving or not confronting him. But if he continues to come at me with the knife. Then I feel that I have to defend myself and either pull out my knife or use what ever to protect myself from him. If the person dies from my protecting myself, then murder in this case is also justified.

I am sure others can give many other scenarios. But I just gave 3 where I would think murder is justified.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:36 AM

252 posts, read 262,873 times
I am more like to push the limits of self defense for myself, which could be my undoing. If my daughter or wife are threatened with any real danger in the range of minor physical pain to death, I will kill the person attempting such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies