Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:25 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Dear me, all I did was agree with you...

Anyway, Texas doesn't secede because trade with the other 49 states is Texas' lifeline, and turning that trade from domestic to foreign would be underpants-on-head stupid.
I misread your post. My apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
What law states that Texas has to use USD? Nothing says they can't use Euros.
Read my post again, slowly. I never claimed they had to use USD for currency. I simply asked what they would use, and how they would back it.

If you think using the Euro (or any other currency) would isolate TX from the US economy, I suggest you enroll yourself in one of those economics courses you were talking about...

Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Read my post again, slowly. I never claimed they had to use USD for currency. I simply asked what they would use, and how they would back it.

If you think using the Euro (or any other currency) would isolate TX from the US economy, I suggest you enroll yourself in one of those economics courses you were talking about...
It is a global economy. Texas will make itself more friendly for US companies to operate by making Texas more applicable to international trade.

Texas would be better off not backing itself with USD considering the US will suffer real inflation in the next 10 years or so.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:34 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
And you don't seem to understand... well... much of anything at all.

TX will not, and should not secede from the Union. That's just talking crazy.

Tell us more about this "economic hell" that you think Texas will avoid by seceding, though. How do you think TX would isolate it's economy from the US economy? What will they use for currency? What will their treasury use to back that currency?

We're all ears.
#1. the US's economy isn't isolated from the rest of the world, why do you believe Texas would need to be isolated from the US?

#2. Why not use the Dollar? It's what the Republic of Texas used 1836-1846

#3. What does the US government use to back our currency? Nothing.

So, what are your other concerns?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
The US Constitution supports my assertion.
No it doesn't

Quote:
There is nothing in the Constitution that bars a State from seceding.
Justices of the Supreme Court and the result of the CIVIL WAR says you are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._White

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/htm...4_0700_ZO.html

Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
#1. the US's economy isn't isolated from the rest of the world, why do you believe Texas would need to be isolated from the US?

#2. Why not use the Dollar? It's what the Republic of Texas used 1836-1846

#3. What does the US government use to back our currency? Nothing.

So, what are your other concerns?
Furthermore, Texas would use USD to its own detriment. It would be much better off using another currency.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
The EURO? You really don't understand economics.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
The EURO? You really don't understand economics.
Really.

When the world's largest pipeline is completed, what do you think the petroleum will be sold in? Perhaps a basket currency, or possibly ruples, euros or yuans.

Not the dollar though.

Out of those three currencies, which do you prefer?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
I say let'em go. They take more federal money than they give in tax revenue and they can keep their crazy right-wing politicians. Not having them in the electoral college will mean that we will likely have a Dem in the White House for a long time. It also means 24 GOP House members are out.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Default Why doesn't Texas secede?

Quote:
It would greatly benefit them to do so. Why go down with a sinking ship?
It would be a long process. Before any secession action could take place, the Texas Legislature would have to approve a ballot measure to submit to the Texas voters to determine if the Lege should pursue secession.

The Texas Lege did have such a measure in action in the recently adjourned legislative session but it did NOT pass, thus no ballot measure for the next statewide elections.

The Lege is currently in special session but that is only for issues as called by the Governor. Secession is/has not been one of those issues.

The next regular session of the Texas Legislature will be in January 2015.

At this point, it would just be more expedient to wait for the federal government to fail, then just walk away.

WE ARE READY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies