Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM

31,862 posts, read 14,841,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He was in a locked backed yard. How do you think he got there?
And that gives someone cause to shoot them. This is really going too far.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,459,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That is illegal!
What he did was legal?

I'll tell you what... I'll do the illegal thing, the kid will live, my car will be fine, and I won't be in jail but banging some hookers a___.

You do the "legal" thing, get arrested, have to pay excessive sums to a lawyer, probably go to jail for a decade or more, and get sued by the dead kids parent.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,459,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
At 2am in the morning you assume the worst when someone is in your gated yard. Especially when you have a wife and kids in the home.

How was he to know the age, intent and whether he was armed in the middle of the night ?
I don't necessarily disagree.

My parents home in the neighborhood I grew up in, mutha f___ have run through the front and back of the house (through the side of the house and through the backyard) plenty of times at all hours of the day and night. H__ll, I've seen cops chase mutha f___ through my parents yard.

Everything is not about being self righteous. It's about preserving your a__ from prison too. And the guy called out the wrong word. It shouldn't have been "Freeze!" but "DROP THE GUN."

Old 07-27-2013, 09:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,799,980 times
His own brother described him as a professional thief. All I can say is good riddance to the punk.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,607,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I have a doorman and live in multi story building, so if someone broke into to my place I would push them out the window and say they tripped.

Connecticut:

Sec. 53a-20. Use of physical force in defense of premises. :: Chapter 951 — Penal Code: Statutory Construction; Principlesof Criminal Liability (contains Secs. 53a-4 to 53a-23) :: Title 53a — Penal Code (contains Chapters 950 to 952) :: 2

Sec. 53a-20. Use of physical force in defense of premises.
A person in possession or control of premises, or a person who is licensed or privileged to be in or upon such premises, is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by such other person in or upon such premises; but he may use deadly physical force under such circumstances only (1) in defense of a person as prescribed in section 53a-19, or (2) when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent an attempt by the trespasser to commit arson or any crime of violence, or (3) to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate an unlawful entry by force into his dwelling as defined in section 53a-100, or place of work, and for the sole purpose of such prevention or termination
A kid standing 30 feet from one's house is not evidence that you had to kill him to "prevent or terminate an unlawful entry by force into your dwelling." By force would mean with some violence, not just breaking in when you're not in the house.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,216,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
What he did was legal?

I'll tell you what... I'll do the illegal thing, the kid will live, my car will be fine, and I won't be in jail but banging some hookers a___.

You do the "legal" thing, get arrested, have to pay excessive sums to a lawyer, probably go to jail for a decade or more, and get sued by the dead kids parent.
Warning shots are illegal. I assume you don't have a gun, but if you do then you need to take a class.

Fire a warning shot they said.
You will be safe they said.
It will be fun they said.

New Hampshire man arrested for firing gun into ground while catching suspected burglar | Fox News
Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com
Marissa Alexander Gets 20 Years For Firing Warning Shot (VIDEO)
A Single Shot, No One Hurt: Why 20 Years? | TheLedger.com

Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,216,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
A kid standing 30 feet from one's house is not evidence that you had to kill him to "prevent or terminate an unlawful entry by force into your dwelling." By force would mean with some violence, not just breaking in when you're not in the house.
So what? You wanted proof that you can be shot for trespassing.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,799,980 times
Under Louisiana law, sadly, he will probably be found guilty. Glad I live in Texas.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So do I wait for them to charge at me or what?

When is it appropriate to feel threatened by someone who is deep into your property uninvited in the middle of the night?

Here is a simple effin' solution...stay off my property, period. No one gets hurt.
There are zero non-criminal reasons any stranger is in your backyard ever. Not sad about anyone who crosses this line and has to deal with consequences.
You've never had a kid cut through your backyard? Again, what kind of places do you guys live?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But.... the teen had a history of burglary arrests. So the teen was in the yard with the intent to steal from the house. And if someone was trying to break into my house to steal my valuables, I should be able to do something to that thief that would cause him to never try to burgle again. I'd want to be able to at least shoot him in the foot so that the police could catch and the DA prosecute him.

The problem here is that most burglaries end up with the thieves never getting caught and the homeowners' valuables never being recovered. So that is why so many homeowners want to stop the thieves before they get away. That Coulter teen was on a bad path to being an adult criminal.
So. A 14-year-old does not deserve to die or lose half his brain for burglary. Not even in the bad old U.S.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies