Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I do almost every day. How about you.

Race seems to be a popular topic in this forum, so I'm just asking my question out of curiosity.
When was the last time you cared about something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Asians tend to live longer.
That is because they tend to weigh less...which is a liability in a starvation scenario. They cannot live off their fat as long.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
When was the last time you cared about something like this?
I don't understand your question.

I have already explained my question.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That is because they tend to weigh less...which is a liability in a starvation scenario. They cannot live off their fat as long.
Which reminds Harrier - here is a question for the forum.

White rice or brown rice?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I do almost every day. How about you.

Race seems to be a popular topic in this forum, so I'm just asking my question out of curiosity.
ROFL, cute question, though.

Often. I'm white. Have lunch once a week with a group of coworkers, one of whom is Asian Indian. Have a meeting once a week when we order sandwiches in and work through, Asian lawyer, black lawyer, Asian engineer.

Family events: Black brother-in-law, bi-racial niece, black BIL's sons and their wives and kids.

Today: Friend's birthday barbecue. Black people, white people.

It's just the way it is where I am. Not that there isn't any racism around, there is, of course, but it really takes an effort to keep yourself separated from other races in New Jersey if you have any sort of job or social life.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Which reminds Harrier - here is a question for the forum.

White rice or brown rice?

In a starvation scenario white rice...otherwise brown rice is healthier.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
There is really only one race but to go along...

Today, as every day with my husband. But that's nothing new for us because we come from mixed cultures (and families) as it is.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm sorry if you can't comprehend that my statement clearly didn't encompass every single person alive. When one says the majority, that clearly leaves the minority.
And I'm sorry you can't comprehend that I said "it's not as much of a minority as you seem to think." You're downplaying racism/bigotry, and I only argued that it's still a serious issue in this country. Got it now?

Quote:
NYC has "stop and frisk" where blacks are singled out for harassment simply because of their color. Does Missouri have something like that?
I don't know, but I'm sure they would if they could! For the record, he wanted to come back here (to the Bay Area) instead - unfortunately his only good job offer came from NYC, and outside of that one law, he's never really felt unwelcome there. It's the most diverse city in the country, and with a population of some 9mil people, he's rarely if ever singled out. Except when it comes to hailing a cab, lol.

Quote:
You can indeed decide to no longer be Jewish. You might think it's something you could never choose but others do. Also a neo-Nazi is highly unlikely to know you are Jewish unless someone informs him of that in some way.
Okay... then please explain how my cousin had a DNA test done, and it came back as Ashkenazi Jewish? Hmmm. (to be honest, I don't understand the whole race vs religion thing myself)

Yes, I could hide my Jewishness from a neo-Nazi; but my point was that if they found out, it wouldn't matter one stitch if I had abandoned the religion and converted to Christianity. They will ALWAYS consider me a Jew, regardless of how I identify or practice.

Quote:
Now, does bigotry (in the big picture sense) and racism exist? Yes, but the vast majority do not care if you date someone of another race.
Again, I was only debating your use of "vast majority." I don't know exact numbers, but it seems to be less than a vast majority even today. People are much more polite in public, and the government no longer sponsors institutionalized racism... but all you have to do is visit an un-moderated Internet forum, and you'll see just how prevalent it still is. Maybe some are just putting on a front, but I'm sure most are quite serious in their feelings.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Oh good God, how did we get from "Who you ate dinner with" to "all you commies & gay people can't
make me un-Jewish. or make me like neo-nazies either, because, I date who I want " ?
Maybe if you read the whole thread, you'd know how we got there (hint: all I said was that racism still exists, but of course someone had to argue with me). And if the OP really just wanted to discuss dinner plans, I doubt they'd have posted this in Politics and Other Controversies. You act like this is the first time a thread has branched into more serious discussions, for chrissakes.

And how the HECK does your "translation" in any way mirror what I said? Commies and gay people, liking neo-Nazis?? WTF. Learn to read.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-27-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Lol @ unjewish... if someone was to succeed in making you "unjewish" would the process be called "dejewing"? Or you were "dejewed"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies