Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that "No piece of property is worth enough to take a life over"

Wrong question.

Do the thieves believe that the property they are stealing, is worth losing their lives over?

We will give them the option of not trying to steal it.

What options are they giving us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
I have no possessions that, if stolen or damaged would justify taking a human life, I am not a savage.
Good for you!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM

808 posts, read 662,355 times
if somebody invades your house and you are there unless they immediately try to run away( upon seeing you), by definition - they are a threat to your life.

The other rule is - do not try to threat an invader ( or whoever)by a firearm - unless you are going to use, do not show it.
Or you have almost 100% chance to be killed yourself.

It is not a movie.

It;s statistics.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Shooting someone would be my last resort.
More due to the hassle of dealing with the criminal
justice system than any compassion for thieves.
If they break into my home, while I'm there,
all bets are off.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
all bets are off.
I think the cost, at least in Texas, is about $10,000 in getting a no-bill from the grand jury if it's a totally justified shooting, clean with no question but not including the cost to replace the carpet etc.

If there's any doubt or if you are a white Hispanic shooting Obama's son or Obama to be, the sky would be the limit.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Do you feel the same about abortion?

Sorry to get off track, but just a question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"Common sense" isn't so common with the left.
Some of you just have to politicize or skew everything to fit your ideology, don't you?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:09 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
all bets are off.
I work in the CJ system. This is my thought as well.

I don't mind if someone blows away a thief if he enters/is still on the property.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:33 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
If you had read the OP you would have seen that property loss has everything to do with it.
Perhaps you should read ALL the statement before slapping your forehead:

"Besides, property loss has nothing to do with it. Where the perp IS has everything to do with it!"

Putting BOTH sentences together makes a difference, y'see...

If the perp is IN MY HOME, a fear of property loss is totally irrelevant to me: All that is important is that he is IN MY HOUSE, UNINVITED. That makes me fear for my life and the lives of anybody else who happens to be in the house with me. Therefore, if at all possible, the perp will either die or spend a long time in the hospital! It doesn't matter what the intentions of the home invader were, whether to steal, commit rape or murder, or just too drunk to see and entered the wrong house.
If that makes me a savage, so be it. I welcome the appellation!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:10 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You missed my post where I stated "I also might shoot if they were trying to steal something very valuable to me, and not replaceable, like some items handed down to me from generations ago, I be darned if I am going to let someone steal irreplaceable objects."

So if the car was handed down and sentimental to me, I would shoot, I stated this in my post.

I do not own an expensive car I restored, mine is new and insurance will replace it, and I do not care if it gets stolen, I will not even risk a scratch to myself over my current car. I am sure if I had a restored 1969 Shelby GT 500 convertible, I would shoot a person trying to steal it.
Likewise!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
First, that's why you have homeowners insurance.

Second, good luck with shooting someone who isn't in your house, or is in the process of breaking into your house, but instead is stealing property from the exterior of the home, like a car, or things in the building. You may think it's fine and dandy to shoot them, but the law doesn't see it that way, and you'll be charged with murder.

For those of you quoting the castle doctrine, thinking that's going to protect you under those circumstances--think again. You're only covered if it's a home invasion, and then you have to be sure that person is trying to inflict bodily harm. If someone is coming through the door, sees you, and turns around and runs away, you can't shoot them in the back on the way out. If they just keep coming, then you're justified in defending yourself.

Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, I don't know what the legal ramifications would be if you shot out the tires in their vehicle (loaded with your stuff) to keep them from taking off before the police or sheriff could get there.
"Second, good luck with shooting someone who isn't in your house, or is in the process of breaking into your house, but instead is stealing property from the exterior of the home, like a car, or things in the building. You may think it's fine and dandy to shoot them, but the law doesn't see it that way, and you'll be charged with murder.

From your own link:

"A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine that designates a person's abode (or, in some states, any legally-occupied place [e.g., a vehicle or workplace]) as a place in which that person has certain protections and immunities permitting him or her, in certain circumstances, to use force (up to and including deadly force) to defend against an intrude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies