Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 05:40 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so the person on welfare with $150 sneakers, a big screen tv , and gets their nails done every week.......is rich

according to YOU
No, only the welfare queens that drive a new Mercedes Benz, when they're not whisking off in their Lear Jet, are rich. *rolls eyes*

Old 11-15-2009, 05:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
You can have an income of only $20,000 and live rich if you had the foresight to pay off your house and car and never use credit cards. Instead people mortgaged to the hilt, then borrowed more, and bought a car they could not afford.
Hey, I once lived in a lower middle class area and my property taxes were somewhere between a quarter and half of that income that you mention. I always paid my cashback credit card off at the end of each month. I always saved up and paid cash for my car and the only mortgage I ever had on a house was on my first one.

Once you get that first car or home paid off, if you did not bite off more than you could chew, you should also have enough saved for contingencies, which always come up. I have always lived what most folks would say was below my means. I cannot see the logic of doing it the other way. It does mean that I travel to make friends with an education who share my interests.

However, by the time this economic downturn came my assets were all protected and I intend to retire into a better lifestyle than I'd lived for much of my life. I always thought that aging people need more resources and can do less to get them. We are selling the care and house and retiring to a safe condo in a city with great doctors and hospitals and museums, and colleges, etc.

This is the reverse of what many people do, but it makes logical sense to us and we can afford it.

'Rich', up to a certain point, is relative to where you are, to the lifestyle of your associates. Everyone wants to fit in. Nobody wants to appear to be the pauper in a group.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
nvxplorer wrote:
I think this answers your question. If you earn more than 99.1% of Americans, you are most certainly rich.
This is only true from the outside looking in. If a person earning more than 99.1% of all Americans FEELS poor, then that person is mired in poverty consciousness nonetheless.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
nvxplorer wrote:
I think this answers your question. If you earn more than 99.1% of Americans, you are most certainly rich.
This is only true from the outside looking in. If a person earning more than 99.1% of all Americans FEELS poor, then that person is mired in poverty consciousness nonetheless.
Okay. I was responding objectively. Bill Gates can "feel" that he's poverty stricken. Doesn't make it so.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM

nvxxplorer wrote:
Okay. I was responding objectively. Bill Gates can "feel" that he's poverty stricken. Doesn't make it so.
Not to you and I, but if he FEELS poor, then in his mind he would be poor. However, it's rather irrelevant becasue I doubt than he feels poor, so we don't have to feel sorry for him. He is certainly not poor in the eyes of the world!

Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
If that $300,000 is all investment income, you're probably rich. If you're working for it, you probably aren't.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
nvxxplorer wrote:
Not to you and I, but if he FEELS poor, then in his mind he would be poor. However, it's rather irrelevant becasue I doubt than he feels poor, so we don't have to feel sorry for him. He is certainly not poor in the eyes of the world!
Okay (again). The thread title is not "Does an income of $300,000 make someone feel rich?"

Old 11-15-2009, 06:34 PM

I'll say it ( again ) too....Bill Gates is certainly not poor in the eyes of the world!

Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'll say it ( again ) too....Bill Gates is certainly not poor in the eyes of the world!
Neither is someone in the 99.1 percentile.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:55 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
This forum always leaves me shaking my head in disbelief.

What is the next thread on this topic going to be, "Are Bill Gates and Warren Buffett rich?"

I'm sure some here would say "Oh no, of course not."

The sad thing is that they'd be serious.
It is amazing what some people say. I sometimes find it hard to decipher when some actually believe what they are saying and when they are just saying things for effect. Who knows, maybe there are some that nobody else will talk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies