Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Just a car? No. If you drive an expensive car, live in an expensive house, have expensive things, and go on expensive vacations? Yes.

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck... It is a duck.
oh please

the house I have down in NC is 4000sf on a full acre with an inground pool....up here in NY it would be easily '''worth'''' 1.5 million......down there is only worth about 200k.....I bought it as a fixer-upper (tax repossessed) for less than 35k (put a heck of a lot of time fixing it too)

does a nice house make me rich...I think not

Old 09-02-2015, 10:29 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
I have plenty of experience on the other side. Growing up poor, I know what rich is and what poor is. You have obviously either never had to deal with being poor, or you are now rich, and can't see the other side. If you make more than 97% of the country, you are rich.

Just answer this question for me if you will.

If you make more than 97% of the entire country, how are you not rich?

There is quite literally, only 3% of people that make more than you. Please explain how this makes you middle class or upper middle class, if you are in the top 3% of the country? The fact that you can even afford to buy those things, on credit or in cash, makes you rich. Could someone making 60k a year buy a 600k house? No. Someone making 300k could easily buy it, and pay it off pretty darn quick. Could a person making 60k buy a 50k car? No. Could they go on 3-4 vacations a year that cost a few thousand dollars? No. Not unless they are living with their parents or something.

There seems to be a disconnect between those who have money and those who don't. The ones who do say things like, "They aren't rich if they have 1 million bucks worth of stuff they are paying off." The ones without money say things like, "They have to be rich to even entertain having that much stuff to pay off." It is pretty simple. If you weren't rich in the first place, you could never afford, or even be able to get, the loans needed to get all of that stuff.
great post. Love it

Old 09-02-2015, 10:30 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
I have plenty of experience on the other side. Growing up poor, I know what rich is and what poor is. You have obviously either never had to deal with being poor, or you are now rich, and can't see the other side. If you make more than 97% of the country, you are rich.

There is quite literally, only 3% of people that make more than you. Please explain how this makes you middle class or upper middle class, if you are in the top 3% of the country? The fact that you can even afford to buy those things, on credit or in cash, makes you rich. Could someone making 60k a year buy a 600k house? No. Someone making 300k could easily buy it, and pay it off pretty darn quick. Could a person making 60k buy a 50k car? No. Could they go on 3-4 vacations a year that cost a few thousand dollars? No. Not unless they are living with their parents or something.

There seems to be a disconnect between those who have money and those who don't. The ones who do say things like, "They aren't rich if they have 1 million bucks worth of stuff they are paying off." The ones without money say things like, "They have to be rich to even entertain having that much stuff to pay off." It is pretty simple. If you weren't rich in the first place, you could never afford, or even be able to get, the loans needed to get all of that stuff.
I grew up poor, and lived poor for many years...do dont be so obnoxious to sit there and say I dont know what I am talking about sonny

rich is not defined by INCOME.... please finish your masters, as maybe then you will understand LIFE.....rich is deined by accumilated assests (ie wealth)

you will learn someday....income is not what makes a person rich...incomes come and go

Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Point being there is NO single definition of being "...abundantly supplied with resources". 300K does not make someone rich to me.
My guess is the majority of people making $300k a year can't be without a paycheck more than a couple of years without making major lifestyle changes. Actually, I'd guess it's closer to a year. A rich person can go more than a few years without bringing in a paycheck.

I have a friend who was 'rich' as an actor on a network series that ran for 5 seasons and playing small roles in a few movies. Without any significant roles in the last few years and syndication money dropping, he's quite concerned about his finances and may be in dire straits if he doesn't get something soon.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

the house I have down in NC is 4000sf on a full acre with an inground pool....up here in NY it would be easily '''worth'''' 1.5 million......down there is only worth about 200k.....I bought it as a fixer-upper (tax repossessed) for less than 35k (put a heck of a lot of time fixing it too)

does a nice house make me rich...I think not
Where did I say "nice" house. I bought a "nice" house with 1/2 an acre and a pool in Bartlett, TN for $135k. You can pull out exceptions all you want, but that doesn't help your case, as they are not the rule. If your house is worth 200k, then it is not an expensive house now is it? If you buy a used Lexus with 150k miles on it, it isn't an expensive car. If you go on vacation to the Outer Banks (since you mentioned your house in NC) and stay at a Microtel Inn or something, it isn't an expensive vacation.

If you were to have bought a $600k house it would be an expensive house. If you were to buy a brand new Lexus (pick your luxury car), it would be expensive. If you go to Turks and Caicos for 2 weeks in March, then go to London for 2 weeks in June, and then spend Christmas in the Swiss Alps, it would be expensive.

See the difference?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:

It's very simple, you can make $300k a year and at the end of the year have a net value of $5,000.

Do you consider a person with a net value of $5,000 rich?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's very simple, you can make $300k a year and at the end of the year have a net value of $5,000.

Do you consider a person with a net value of $5,000 rich?
I consider the person

1. unlucky (perhaps have a lots unexpected bills to pay, health issues, etc)

2. poor manager of personal finance

If he makes $300k a year, without the above two, yes, he is rich.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I consider the person

1. unlucky (perhaps have a lots unexpected bills to pay, health issues, etc)

2. poor manager of personal finance

If he makes $300k a year, without the above two, yes, he is rich.
So, does that mean you are saying a person making $300k might not be rich?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I grew up poor, and lived poor for many years...do dont be so obnoxious to sit there and say I dont know what I am talking about sonny

rich is not defined by INCOME.... please finish your masters, as maybe then you will understand LIFE.....rich is deined by accumilated assests (ie wealth)

you will learn someday....income is not what makes a person rich...incomes come and go

Whatever you say gramps. Insulting my education is real nice BTW. If you truly grew up poor, then you would know that 300k is a crap ton of money. If you aren't rich at 300k, you are an idiot. Incomes may come and go, but odds are, if you are making 300k this year, you aren't going to have a significant drop next year. If you do, it won't be for long, unless you become disabled. Sure, there are exceptions, but don't pretend that people making 300k make a habit of doing so for one year only.

You can say INCOME doesn't make you rich, but unless you were born into a rich family and had an inheritance handed down, that is how you make your money. So keep living in your bubble and pretend that 300k is middle class.

FYI, I was not even responding to you with that response you quoted.

Please work on your spelling also, it is distracting.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 AM

174 posts, read 124,497 times
It would make me rich. I'd say that's a pretty comfortable life for people...unless they are living out of their means. Either way that's higher than what most people bring home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies