Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Federal government spends $13.8 million destroying houses in bankrupt Detroit

The Detroit area remains one of the top 10 metros for foreclosed and vacated homes. Its abandoned residences often become hideouts for drug users and prostitutes, and occasionally scenes of murder. So it's no wonder that government officials want to simply tear down many of these homes. But in the community of Highland Park, Mich., several of the homes recently demolished were nearly new and never owned after a neighborhood revitalization project turned disastrous. And even the wreckers hired to do the job expressed shock at the waste.

But Koresky says the inspector confirmed that the homes had to come down by order of the state. Not because of mold. Not because of bad soil. Not because of chemical contamination. But, according to news reports, because of alleged mismanagement of funds and poor planning. It turned out that not many people wanted to spend $150,000 on a 1,100-square-foot home in a distressed community.

The demolition of 24 homes in Highland Park was being paid for by a $13.8-million grant through the federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program. Despite the massive amount of resources wasted on aimlessly building and destroying new houses, 34,643 homeless people live in the Detroit Metro area and 36.2% of families in Detroit are living in poverty.

What? The state has no money to do this?

I think some people have big plans for the Detroit area in 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Two things...

Highland Park isn't Detroit.

And from the linked article, these new homes were also crappy homes:

"WXYZ reported that the properties in the project that were bought and occupied were found by owners to be poorly constructed and subject to flooding. And the recent recession probably didn't help either."

But yes, burned out, looted and unusable housing is being demolished on the government dime. That's what happens when owners walk away from their disasters - they shift the expense of their failures to society in general.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Highland Park is basically surrounded by Detroit.

Definitely agree with your last sentence - even though I think the state should pay instead of me.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM

264 posts, read 280,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Highland Park is basically surrounded by Detroit.

Definitely agree with your last sentence - even though I think the state should pay instead of me.
Either way it will have to come from taxes. To me, this is money well spent. You can never draw people into a neighborhood with burned out buildings all around it. They also become meeting and operational spots for gang activities. The sooner you get rid of that garbage, the sooner you can try to start working on bringing people back in. That isn't to say they don't have a very long way to go. I'm rooting for them though.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Wait it cost $13 million to tear down 24 homes. I must be missing something.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Hell, I would have torn them down for only $10 million. I'm sure I could have found some folks with sledge hammers and dump trucks to help me out.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
I don't get this at all.

Why not simply require every able bodied welfare recipient in the area report for work, issue them a sledge hammer, safety wear and a wheelbarrow then tell them "you're already on the public payroll now get to work".

Here's your reporting center; you must sign in and be under qualified supervision for a prescribed time or until we no longer require you. Those are the conditions upon which you continue getting your welfare payments.

No show ~ no dough!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
One Hi-Hoe operator and a couple of dump trucks? 13 million? We're missing something alrighty!

Holy crap; a weeks work for a good operator and a landfill site within a reasonable distance with enough dump trucks so the Hi-Hoe operator isn't held up waiting.

Done right, you'd see those things disappear faster than time-lapse photography for a quarter of that 13 million cost.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:

what a rip off!!! 500 thousand to demolish a house I would have done the job with a pick up truck and a few tools..

Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Why can't we do controlled fires? It seems that's the only cost effective way
Their actually knocking down an apartment building here by a controlled fire that way its not at taxpayers expense and the firefighters get practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies