Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 PM

68,285 posts, read 54,079,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
This guy is not a pope.

There has not been a reigning Roman Catholic Pope since October of 1958.
Have you notified the Vatican of the imposters they've been harboring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,713,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Have you notified the Vatican of the imposters they've been harboring?
Lol.

I do think there is something different about him.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 AM

29,964 posts, read 18,525,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I was happy to hear it. Jesus would have probably said the same thing.

But I suspect that many of the Catholic bigots will be furious.

"Catholic bigots"? Apparently you are not Catholic. I am a "convert", due to marriage. I have found the Catholics to be very "live and let live" and rarely discuss religion in public. All of the Catholics I know think that the message from the Pope was what we would expect from someone who attempts to emulate Christ. Our parish is half wealthy whites and half poor Hispanic. I don't see "bigotry" in our parish and would doubt that "bigotry" is common in any parish.

My wife and I, as well as our kids, approved of what the Pope said and find it consistent with what we are told every Sunday at mass.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:16 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,329,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
When one chose a position of biblical responsibility and authority, the way he feels about something must always be filtered through the scriptures. The responsibility is to preach, teach, and exemplify righteousness according to the scriptures. The pope takes an oath to do so.

Since I am heterosexual, I have no personal information as to whether or not being homosexual is intrinsic. I do have what the scriptures say about various types of sexuality and I have taken an oath to preach, teach, and exemplify them in righteousness according to the scriptures whether I agree with them intrinsically or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella2 View Post
Let me try it this way: when one choses a position of biblical responsibility and authority, the way he feels about something must always be filtered through the scriptures. The responsibility is to preach, teach, and exemplify righteousness according to the scriptures. The pope takes an oath to do so.

Since I am heterosexual, I have no personal information as to whether or not being homosexual is instrinsic. I do have what the scriptures say about various types of sexuality and I have taken an oath to preach, teach, and exemplify them in righteousness according to the scriptures whether I agree with them intrinsically or not.
Sock puppet?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,329,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Catholic bigots"? Apparently you are not Catholic. I am a "convert", due to marriage. I have found the Catholics to be very "live and let live" and rarely discuss religion in public. All of the Catholics I know think that the message from the Pope was what we would expect from someone who attempts to emulate Christ. Our parish is half wealthy whites and half poor Hispanic. I don't see "bigotry" in our parish and would doubt that "bigotry" is common in any parish.

My wife and I, as well as our kids, approved of what the Pope said and find it consistent with what we are told every Sunday at mass.
I've got to agree with you on this. For the most part I have found the majority of Catholics very 'live and let live'... with a few exceptions. On the other hand - conservative evangelical Christians? Not so much.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:27 AM

24 posts, read 33,655 times
awesome statement by such a public figure!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,808,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

The anti-Catholic bigotry reared its' ugly head again.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,808,301 times
God is Catholic:
Mystery

Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM

25,892 posts, read 24,599,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
God is Catholic:
Mystery
Funny you say that. The new pope himself says that he does not believe there is a Catholic or Christian god. Jesus was just one manifestation of god.

As an atheist I think even that is crap, but still, for a pope he says interesting things. And the way he calls a spade a spade and lashes out at everything the Vatican is about, gee, I wonder if he will survive long enough to change much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies