Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,099,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
amazon does not what?
AC? that is known problem with Amazon warehouses.

I know what the problem was.

But there is no shortage of low-wage jobs in Florida without Amazon. So Scott had the liberty to turn it down.

Again, how do you know? "well known" doesn't cut it here...

Never mind, I found it, and they're correcting the problem.

http://www.internetretailer.com/2012...ing-warehouses

Amazon.com Inc. announced this week that is spending $52 million to install air conditioning in warehouses that don’t already have it. CEO Jeff Bezos confirmed the move at Amazon’s annual shareholder meeting on Thursday in Seattle.
Amazon, No. 1 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, has attracted criticism over complaints that temperatures in some U.S. distribution centers can exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Last September, The Morning Call newspaper in Pennsylvania described the hot conditions within an Amazon warehouse in the eastern part of that state that lacked air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM

808 posts, read 662,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Jobs are jobs, folks, low wage or not. Is it cheaper for a state to pay unemployment?
repeating third time - there are plenty of this kind of jobs in Florida.

we don't need additional sales tax

Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Again, how do you know? "well known" doesn't cut it here.

well known is that it is based on description of those who worked there, including this forum.

can you deny it?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,666,766 times
Amazing the amount of people that blast jobs that require physical labor with some discomfort.

I have three Landscape Construction Supervisors that have been with me for 10 years and started with my company doing manual labor for the first several years. They all make over 40K and own their own homes. They still have some manual labor to accomplish during the day. That and working in all weather conditions from 100+ degree heat to freezing rainy weather.

What the hell is wrong with some of you. HARD work and striving for something better is what MADE this country great.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
repeating third time - there are plenty of this kind of jobs in Florida.

we don't need additional sales tax

It's not additional sales tax. 2,500 jobs are nothing to sneeze at. You don't have to work there, dude, but 2,500 people might just want to.

And you don't have to buy from amazon.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,127,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Politicians will do all they can to squash this with new taxes.
Think so. Or just maybe demand drives hiring not tax rates...

Quote:
It's not additional sales tax. 2,500 jobs are nothing to sneeze at. You don't have to work there, dude, but 2,500 people might just want to.

And you don't have to buy from amazon.
I don't care. I support Scott's decision.

11,768 posts, read 10,254,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They're gearing up for same-day delivery. Those of you who whined and complained about how 'unfair' it was that Internet retailers were able to 'get away with' not charging sales tax, which you purported hurt the local mom & pop shops are going to get what you wanted. Amazon will start charging sales tax. They're also going to decimate the very mom & pop shops you thought you were helping by demanding that Internet retailers start collecting sales tax...

This is a great example of people demanding things when they have NO idea what the consequences will be, even though those consequences should be reasonably obvious. Kind of like when they re-elected Obama...
Alot of Amazon sellers are mom and pop shops.
Amazon already charges sales tax depending on your state and sometime depending on the item.
Most states already require you to pay sales tax, they just can't enforce the law.
Even with sales tax Amazon is still cheap.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Amazing the amount of people that blast jobs that require physical labor with some discomfort.

I have three Landscape Construction Supervisors that have been with me for 10 years and started with my company doing manual labor for the first several years. They all make over 40K and own their own homes. They still have some manual labor to accomplish during the day. That and working in all weather conditions from 100+ degree heat to freezing rainy weather.

What the hell is wrong with some of you. HARD work and striving for something better is what MADE this country great.

I worked in a garment warehouse (with no A/C) in Florida in the summer, and loaded and unloaded trucks. The formaldehyde in the clothing would make your eyes sting, for sure. It was brutal, but I survived. Sheesh, what a bunch of sissies.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,127,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

What are you talking about? Many Americans are hard workers it's just hard to compete with the world labor market when the standard of living and laws are so much different elsewhere. I wouldn't call 40k yearly after 10 years on the job really making it either. 40k in California is much different than 40k somewhere like Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies