Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times

Advertisements

They know how to push buttons and interpret computer programs. That's great up until something goes wrong and they have to manually take control, at which point they don't know what the hell they're doing.

If you value your life, do not ever fly Asiana again until they actually insist that their pilots become fully competent at their jobs.

SFO worries over Asiana’s landing record | Matier And Ross | an SFGate.com blog

Quote:
After the crash, airline industry officials went through six weeks of records and found a “considerably higher” number of aborted landings by Asiana than would be expected, said our sources, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not cleared to make the information public.

Asiana’s number of aborted landings, or “go-arounds,” is six to eight times greater than would be expected given the airline’s total number of flights into SFO, according to sources familiar with the numbers.

One such aborted landing happened July 19, just days after SFO reopened the runway where Flight 214 crashed. The Asiana jet pulled out of its early-afternoon landing just 14 seconds from touchdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,079 times
Correction- they dont know how to land their planes.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
It seems like a structural deficiency in Asiana's training program, not indicative to any particula ethnic groups flying skills.

It does make me want to audit the training processes for all airlines, to confirm competency in manual landings.

It is unclear if in general, Korean pilots do not focus on manual procedures. Or just Asiana pilots.

Obviously, almost anyone who certifies as a pilot is technically/intellectually capable of landing manually, as long as it is emphasized in their trainings.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Thanks for the link. Scary, isnt it...

It seems to me that a week or two ago there was a story floating around about the poor records of Asiana pilots. But, if I recall correctly, the company took notice and made great efforts to improve their safety record.

Apparently not great enough.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Aren't most commercial pilots in the US ex military or am I mistaken? You already have highly experienced pilots.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
This thread is racist.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This thread is racist.
Why is it racist?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why is it racist?
If it had been an African airline, what do you think would be the analysis of the thread?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If it had been an African airline, what do you think would be the analysis of the thread?
I don't know, I felt like this was pretty clear cut. A training issue.

I didn't think the OP had a false pretense for creating the thread. I thought the same thing when I heard about the lack of training in this area.

I am also in the Bay Area, and the coverage has been universally critical. Because, as you know, the fire truck ran over one of the victims, and it seems like everyone was in "such a rush" they didn't bother to move her to safety.

I'd rather see something productive, like a list of airlines that do not encourage manual landings in their training. "Race" isn't even relevant here.

In other news, the Koreans did have fun making fun of us as well:
Korean News Station Pokes Fun at KTVU with Fake American Pilot Names After Southwest Airlines Landing Gear Failure « slothed

Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't know, I felt like this was pretty clear cut. A training issue.

I didn't think the OP had a false pretense for creating the thread. I thought the same thing when I heard about the lack of training in this area.

I am also in the Bay Area, and the coverage has been universally critical. Because, as you know, the fire truck ran over one of the victims, and it seems like everyone was in "such a rush" they didn't bother to move her to safety.

I'd rather see something productive, like a list of airlines that do not encourage manual landings in their training. "Race" isn't even relevant here.

In other news, the Koreans did have fun making fun of us as well:
Korean News Station Pokes Fun at KTVU with Fake American Pilot Names After Southwest Airlines Landing Gear Failure « slothed
You are correct, but this is what liberalism has done - it is impossible in the leftist world to speak negatively about members of any ethnicity but white people without immediately being labeled as "racist".

Want to discuss illegal immigrants and say that they are causing problems in this country(a fact)? -

RACIST!

You hate Hispanics!

They will say this even though there are illegal immigrants of all ethnicities, and the issue isn't race, it is the illegal nature of the entry that is the issue.

Want to point out that an alarming number of black children are born out of wedlock, are raised by single mothers, have fathers who are in prison, and perform poorly in school, and perhaps there is something that black families can do to change that?

RACIST!

It is all whitey's fault!

How dare you tell people to be responsible for their own actions!

So - it makes sense that in the kneejerk climate that liberals have created with issues of race, that they would claim that it is racist to say that Asian pilots don't know how to fly their airplanes, even though the issue has nothing to do with race, but is an unfortunate side effect of airplanes being so technologically advanced and the high demand for qualified pilots to fly them

Of course it is not racist to point that out, but in liberal bizarro land, anything goes, as demonstrated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies