Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Yes it would be a stupid assumption to make that the test was constructed to the education level of the students....it would be much more reasonable to assume none of them were able to answer a preponderance of the questions.

In addition it is interesting to remember that the country was still basically agrarian at this time meaning these children were probably not full time students as someone who was a young teenager would be expected to help with farm duties, especially during harvest.
Having trouble finding your way back to a thread you've been schooled in? Not a shocker.

"I was wrong" are 3 words never in the vocabulary of the rwnj's and lwnjs around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If I showed you some snopes stuff refuting this how would you respond?

like I said, liberal mouthpiece.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Snopes is neither liberal nor conservative, it just says whether urban legends and things like e-mail forwards are true or not. NO opinions are offered on Snopes.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Snopes is neither liberal nor conservative, it just says whether urban legends and things like e-mail forwards are true or not. NO opinions are offered on Snopes.
To wingnut conservatives it does have a liberal bias

Reality has a well known liberal bias...and it reports reality instead of wingnut fantasies.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Don't want to comment on the 2012 math test I provided?

Or does that get in the way of the narrative that schools are all terrible and kids are dumber blah blah blah?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,556 times
Quote:

Or does that get in the way of the narrative that schools are all terrible and kids are dumber blah blah blah?
2012 math tests have a well known liberal bias.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I'm in college and there are some kids in grade school and high school that are much more intelligent than I am.

The parents and environment of a kid has a significant impact on the learning of the child I think. Actually, the author of Talent is Overrated would say its a fact, and not about genetics.

Intel Awards Winner 2013 - Eesha Khare - YouTube
Supernova Discovered by 10 year old Kathryn Aurora Gray, Fredericton NB - YouTube
Parents are the first teachers and since this current parent generation was raised by parents too busy working to take the time to be parents, their children are the result. Many of us born before the mid 60's often had a Mom that stayed at home and before that many mothers never did work, but took care of the home, made their own clothing, preserved or cooked most of the food for the family and the families were larger. There were no major distractions that interfered with family interaction as there is today. Raise a family today as one did back before the electronic age and you will still get brilliant kids. My nephew waited to raise a family till he was both mentally and financially able to devote the same attention that both my sister did with he and his sister and my Mom did with her 6 kids. My Mom never worked outside of the home, my sister did not work outside the home till the kids were both in junior high. My mom supervised our homework and provided any assistance in helping us understand. All of us kids my mom raised were ready for kindergarten at least knowing our ABC's and able to count to at least 100, know our home phone and address and basic math skills. I started reading at 3 1/2 and was reading Alfred Hitchcock, Edgar Allen Poe and the Hardy Boy books when I was in first grade, my nephew took the same approach with his son and that kid was reading at 3 and is brilliant, he and his wife encouraged their kids to learn, got involved with their school and the school work brought home. I see many kids today that cannot count out change at the store, they just dump out a bunch of quarters, dimes and nickels and let the proprietor count out the right amount

Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Parents are the first teachers and since this current parent generation was raised by parents too busy working to take the time to be parents, their children are the result. Many of us born before the mid 60's often had a Mom that stayed at home and before that many mothers never did work, but took care of the home, made their own clothing, preserved or cooked most of the food for the family and the families were larger. There were no major distractions that interfered with family interaction as there is today. Raise a family today as one did back before the electronic age and you will still get brilliant kids. My nephew waited to raise a family till he was both mentally and financially able to devote the same attention that both my sister did with he and his sister and my Mom did with her 6 kids. My Mom never worked outside of the home, my sister did not work outside the home till the kids were both in junior high. My mom supervised our homework and provided any assistance in helping us understand. All of us kids my mom raised were ready for kindergarten at least knowing our ABC's and able to count to at least 100, know our home phone and address and basic math skills. I started reading at 3 1/2 and was reading Alfred Hitchcock, Edgar Allen Poe and the Hardy Boy books when I was in first grade, my nephew took the same approach with his son and that kid was reading at 3 and is brilliant, he and his wife encouraged their kids to learn, got involved with their school and the school work brought home. I see many kids today that cannot count out change at the store, they just dump out a bunch of quarters, dimes and nickels and let the proprietor count out the right amount
My parent's parents had large families and their mothers did not work.

Born in 1971 I was a latchkey child.

Eh... better than being one of these young people I guess [shrugs]:

Welcome to India 2012 - Documentary (Episode 1 of 3) [HD 720p] - YouTube

Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
2012 math tests have a well known liberal bias.
Yeah, especially in Kansas...and math is such a controversial subject too.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:

you quoted something about snopes again, and I replied that liberal mouthpieces very rarely tell the truth, and when they do tell the truth, they tell half-truths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies