U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
5,930 posts, read 3,111,936 times
Reputation: 4195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm still waiting to hear what the average score test takers received on the test.....

I took an exam about 15 years ago where the AVERAGE person taking the test was probably 130+ IQ with a college education heavy in math etc. and the passing score was just over 40pts out of 100.

Weird how so many claims are being made and we don't know if this was supposed to be easy, hard or something in-between.

Assumptions, assumptions.......assumptions.
Yes it would be a stupid assumption to make that the test was constructed to the education level of the students....it would be much more reasonable to assume none of them were able to answer a preponderance of the questions.

In addition it is interesting to remember that the country was still basically agrarian at this time meaning these children were probably not full time students as someone who was a young teenager would be expected to help with farm duties, especially during harvest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM
 
1,203 posts, read 418,918 times
Reputation: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Yes it would be a stupid assumption to make that the test was constructed to the education level of the students....it would be much more reasonable to assume none of them were able to answer a preponderance of the questions.

In addition it is interesting to remember that the country was still basically agrarian at this time meaning these children were probably not full time students as someone who was a young teenager would be expected to help with farm duties, especially during harvest.
Spot on.

It is highly implausible that school officials had some sort of bell curve in mind when they composed that exam. Any assertion just rings like cheap excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Status: "GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Andersonville, Chicago
7,606 posts, read 7,317,099 times
Reputation: 5032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
A 101-Year-Old Test for 8th Graders

What percentage of todays high school graduates do you estimate could pass this 8th grade test from 1912?
Its not that advanced. The math part is easy. An 8th grader should be able to pass that. I can see how geography might be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
 
298 posts, read 135,611 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
We already discussed that, and you are wrong.
Why, because you said so? This is an old email chain letter that has been altered and rehashed over and over again since 1999. Geez, look it up if you don't believe me. It looks like something my grandpa would send me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,688 posts, read 989,110 times
Reputation: 1102
If this is a real threat, then this is rote learning, the very thing Conservatives say is killing the education standards in public schools. Pick a side and stay on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 PM
 
2,007 posts, read 769,027 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I bet you they wouldn't...I bet you they would be bored out of their wits.
Well, lets take a look at maths.
1. Extremly easy, second grade question.
2. Still very easy, just calculations.
3. Lots of old words. Cost/Geometry question
4. Easy statistical question
5. Easy statistical question
6. Somewhat Difficult Statistical Question
7. Easy algebra question
8. Easy distance question
9. Distance question
10. Easy cost question

Notice something here. The only subjects examined is distance, statistics, cost and a few general knowledge questions. The curriculum for an eight grader today is much more comprehensive.

Apart from the topics tested an eight grader need to know
- Use scientifical notation
- Geometry
- Fractions
- Probability
- Algebra
- Inequalities
- Reading Charts

You think the students in 1912 are perfectly able to answer the questions in those topics, but they weren't tested in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 PM
 
1,203 posts, read 418,918 times
Reputation: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This should help explain things....

snopes.com: 1895 Exam
False. The snopes link does not explain anything; merely provides a bunch of lame excuses for the mediocrity of today's Liberalized schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
Why, because you said so? This is an old email chain letter that has been altered and rehashed over and over again since 1999. Geez, look it up if you don't believe me. It looks like something my grandpa would send me.
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If this is a real threat, then this is rote learning, the very thing Conservatives say is killing the education standards in public schools. Pick a side and stay on it.
I looked this up. This is a real test. Indeed, this does speak volumes about how the Liberalization of our school systems have trashed our nation's public education systems.

Source:
Exam - Bullitt County Historical Site

Answers - Bullitt County Historical Site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 AM
 
500 posts, read 111,461 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This should help explain things....

snopes.com: 1895 Exam
Ah, Snopes. The Bible for (fill in the blank).

Snopes Got Snoped | World Truth.TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I noticed that. Their description of the issue is worded to a bias. For instance, they don't contest the test is true, that it was used for that level of education, they contest if that level of education is meaningful and go on a list of excuses as you said to claim that it isn't representative of anything.

I haven't looked a snopes a whole lot since it was first setup, but that site seems to be more of a political house than a place you go to see if something is true or not.
Snopes is pretty much where people look when they have nowhere else to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
8,609 posts, read 4,381,040 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
Why, because you said so? This is an old email chain letter that has been altered and rehashed over and over again since 1999. Geez, look it up if you don't believe me. It looks like something my grandpa would send me.
The folks in Bullitt County, KY seem to think it's real:

Bullitt County History - 1912 School Exam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Camberville
6,825 posts, read 8,261,866 times
Reputation: 7940
Why is this even a thing? Most of those questions could be answered by today's elementary school or early middle school students. The geography is akin to "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" level, the history is not so hard, the math is on about a 5th or 6th grade level today (by 8th grade is algebra I, or II for more advanced students), and so on. The only tricky section is grammar, but that's because we don't tend to teach grammar in the same way anymore.

If your 8th grader couldn't answer these questions, you only have yourself to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top