Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times

Advertisements

A 101-Year-Old Test for 8th Graders –

What percentage of todays high school graduates do you estimate could pass this 8th grade test from 1912?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Holy cow...Thank God for Google...

Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM

125 posts, read 132,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
A 101-Year-Old Test for 8th Graders –

What percentage of todays high school graduates do you estimate could pass this 8th grade test from 1912?
Since a much larger proportion of 14-year-olds are actually in school in the year 2013, I think a larger percentage of that age-group as a whole would pass that test compared to 2013 compared to 1912.

Also, the typical mathematics done at the 8th-grade level is well above what is shown on that test. I know - I've had three children go through 8th-grade in the last three years.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
This should help explain things....

snopes.com: 1895 Exam

Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This should help explain things....

snopes.com: 1895 Exam
The article is just excuses. It debunks nothing

Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,412 times
If they had time to study the material like the people the test was written for, pretty easily. Since these subjects and questions don't really contain knowledge that is applicible any more it is unlikely they studied it. If people were surprised by obscure questions involving memorization that was even part of their own childhood, many people would fail it. That is the point of the show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader."

Education and intelligence are more than simple memorization. You aren't dumber than a kid that just spent weeks memorizing the provinces of Canada if you get surprised on the street and demanded to name the provinces and can't. Anyone that thinks people are less educated now because they can't calculate how many bales of hay fit in a wagon needs to have a mental evaluation or is special needs.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist of Lime View Post
Since a much larger proportion of 14-year-olds are actually in school in the year 2013, I think a larger percentage of that age-group as a whole would pass that test compared to 2013 compared to 1912.

Also, the typical mathematics done at the 8th-grade level is well above what is shown on that test. I know - I've had three children go through 8th-grade in the last three years.
Doubtful if you take the computers and new gizmos they use today everything we did in school was paper,pencil and your brain. No slide rules no cheat sheets or it was the Board of Education if you violated said rules of student honor.
I seriously doubt that some students at Shawnee State University could pass that test even some of the so called instructors who I have beaten at Triva could pass it hell I don't think I could...lol

Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The article is just excuses. It debunks nothing
Sure it does. Let's start with your assumptions.

What score did students average on the test?

The second important piece in this digital age is that memorizing crap isn't nearly as important as knowing how to think critically.

Knowing how much wood is in a cord or about some civil war battle is trivia, not education to a current 8th grader....but they can pull it up in 5 seconds using google.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Doubtful if you take the computers and new gizmos they use today everything we did in school was paper,pencil and your brain. No slide rules no cheat sheets or it was the Board of Education if you violated said rules of student honor.
I seriously doubt that some students at Shawnee State University could pass that test even some of the so called instructors who I have beaten at Triva could pass it hell I don't think I could...lol
The math was easy and there is nothing wrong with using a calculator to perform the grunt work anymore than complaining that someone using a chainsaw to cut down a tree is cheating.

An idiot with a calculator isn't going to suddenly be able to solve real problems.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sure it does. Let's start with your assumptions.

What score did students average on the test?

The second important piece in this digital age is that memorizing crap isn't nearly as important as knowing how to think critically.

Knowing how much wood is in a cord or about some civil war battle is trivia, not education to a current 8th grader....but they can pull it up in 5 seconds using google.
That's the problem in a nutshell. Smartphones and computers are actually making people dumber. The parts of their brains that are used for memory and social capabilities are shrinking. Cut off the electricity and these kids are dumber than a box of rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies