Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Such vitriol and hatred of the poor in this thread. No wonder the working poor, middle class, less fortunate, minorities vote for democrats.
What you're saying is that the working poor, middle class, less fortunate, minorities, etc., don't mind continuing to be oppressed as long as the very ones oppressing them smile at them while blowing smoke up their ass*s. No wonder this country is screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You're not understanding. You & all your conservative friends talk incessantly about how lazy the poor are & all the great & wonderful benefits they get. If it's so great & wonderful to be poor, then quit your job & stay home so you too can collect on all these wonderful benefits. Get it? I believe you do, I also believe that you & the OP & all the other conservative friends will never answer that question because you know how idiotic those claims that are made by conservatives sound.
Oh, the question has been answered - you just didn't like the answer.

Yeah, when I was poor and on living far below the poverty line, I qualified for free housing, food stamps, WIC, Headstart program, free lunches for my kids, Medicaid, free cheese - etc etc etc. But you know what I didn't like about all that? FIRST AND FOREMOST, I DIDN'T LIKE THE PEOPLE I HAD TO HANG OUT WITH if I wanted to even fill out the forms to apply for these benefits!!!!

And before you rush to call me a racist (which would be a rather spectacular mistake on your part, so I'm sparing you that potential embarrassment), it had NOTHING to do with their skin color or ethnicity. It had to do with the ATTITUDES and lifestyle choices of the people. Their lives were filled to the very brim with unnecessary drama, bad choices, substance abuse, you name it.

I knew I wasn't ABOUT to raise my kids in that environment and I determined to get the hell out. And I did.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Nobody would hire her.
Total BS. In my town right now there are people that age working part-time at the library, hospital, city hall, etc., etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What you're saying is that the working poor, middle class, less fortunate, minorities, etc., don't mind continuing to be oppressed as long as the very ones oppressing them smile at them while blowing smoke up their ass*s. No wonder this country is screwed.
To characterize programs to feed the poor, provide housing assistance and medicine as "oppression" is right out of George Orwell's "1984."

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Except that the program started under Reagan and was expanded under Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The Head of of Harvard University's Economics Department is Greg Mankiw, Bush's economic adviser
Prove the numbers wrong. Good luck with that because the numbers come directly from the CBO.

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Originally Posted by fordlover
I work very hard to not be poor. Why would I work hard to become poor?

I'm pretty sure the last thing we need in this country is anotherfamily sucking at the teet of the federal government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You're not understanding. You & all your conservative friends talk incessantly about how lazy the poor are & all the great & wonderful benefits they get. If it's so great & wonderful to be poor, then quit your job & stay home so you too can collect on all these wonderful benefits. Get it? I believe you do, I also believe that you & the OP & all the other conservative friends will never answer that question because you know how idiotic those claims that are made by conservatives sound.
No, you're not understanding.

True story told to me yesterday:
My Aunt lives in a nice area of Fallbrook CA. Seems the house next to her was rented to a section 8 family. She told me that he is a pastor, and has a wife and two grown daughters. All of them are on welfare, disability and SNAP. She knows when its check day because the entire family goes out at 8am and waits for the mailman.

You have to understand what total reliance does to people. When the highlight of your month is check day, you aren't living much of a life.

I had a few acquaintances (former friends) in my younger days who were... well, gang members in the Inglewood Lennox area. Talk about working the system. One of my (former) friends had new sneakers for every day of the month, yet his mom lived in Sec8 housing, was on food stamps, and received a check like clockwork. He had three brothers, and two sisters, all from different daddies. They were working the system, and so were all their friends.

It's a horribly corrupt system. When they tell you that abuse is relatively low, they're lying.

Last edited by steven_h; 07-30-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
To characterize programs to feed the poor, provide housing assistance and medicine as "oppression" is right out of George Orwell's "1984."
As such serves to keep them poor and dependent, and therefore Democrat voters, how is it NOT oppressive?

Democrats get their largest percentage of voters from the lower income groups. They have a vested interest in keeping as many people poor as possible.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
There's a huge difference between situational poverty and generational poverty.

Situational poverty is the one that promotes the "helping hand" until they get back on their feet.
Generational though is a culture and lifestyle of living on government benefits and is passed from generation to generation.

The question is which group people fall into because poverty is increasing at double digits.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's a huge difference between situational poverty and generational poverty.

Situational poverty is the one that promotes the "helping hand" until they get back on their feet.
Generational though is a culture and lifestyle of living on government benefits and is passed from generation to generation.

The question is which group people fall into because poverty is increasing at double digits.
Needs to be repeated:
Quote:
poverty is increasing at double digits
Remember the data I've already posted... those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than those who don't.

An implosion is mathematically inevitable. Opinions one way or the other will matter not when such occurs.

Food for thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies