Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Your point again is mute.

I know of at least two couples with children whose grandparents of their children purchased video games and large screen televisions for them.

You're saying poor people who receive public assistance should own and have nothing in their apartments or homes.

I also know that at Christmas time, the grandparents also gave the families nice things to eat too.

The steak and lobster theory or belief some of the people using this forum have doesn't hold water. You got nothing.

Just so you know in the future (since it's obviously not a spelling mistake), the term is "moot." (I see you went back and corrected it - good call.)

Anyway, have you ever lived in a low income housing area (subsidized housing) aka as "the projects?" I have. What I saw there was simply amazing. Yes, the people were poor. Most of them did not work, even though they were ambulatory, could read and write, and could manage to do any other number of things. At least 70 percent of the children were born out of wedlock. Many of the fathers were in prison. Men shacked up with women but were "unreported residents" because they were not supposed to be living there. Drug use and drug sales were rampant. Venereal diseases were so common place they were the topic of casual conversation. People would trade food stamps - AND EVEN WIC VOUCHERS (which were supposed to go to feed their kids!) for electronic equipment (often stolen to begin with), drugs, vehicle repairs (done in the parking lot), hair extensions, you name it.

I was only on food stamps for a few months. I had three small kids at the time. I was amazed at how much money we qualified for, IN ADDITION TO WIC. We literally had more food than we could EAT. That is no lie. I mean, it was more food than we could eat if I bought groceries like I bought them before receiving food stamps - which meant no sodas, no chips, no junk food - only wholesome food I could cook from scratch. So I understand why people buy so much CRAP and junk on food stamps - I mean, why not use all your quota, right? Why be careful with someone else's money?

Well, you COULD scrimp and feed your family economically and then sell your food stamps that were left over. I saw plenty of that as well.

I knew I needed to get the hell out of Dodge. It became apparent pretty quickly that I had little in common with the people living there. I mean, many of them were friendly and fun to be around...if I ignored their pitiful little children, and disregarded their consistently terrible life choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They already get free housing, free food, free phones, free utilities, free education, free utilities, etc.

Now they complain about the cost of diapers.

What exactly are they responsible for providing themselves?

At the very least, can they keep their neighborhoods clean?
I just wanted to point out that you used utilities twice, and that section 8 housing is not easy to get and not everyone who's poor can get it (source: I tried myself).

Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just so you know in the future (since it's obviously not a spelling mistake), the term is "moot."

Anyway, have you ever lived in a low income housing area (subsidized housing) aka as "the projects?" I have. What I saw there was simply amazing. Yes, the people were poor. Most of them did not work, even though they were ambulatory, could read and write, and could manage to do any other number of things. At least 70 percent of the children were born out of wedlock. Many of the fathers were in prison. Men shacked up with women but were "unreported residents" because they were not supposed to be living there. Drug use and drug sales were rampant. Venereal diseases were so common place they were the topic of casual conversation. People would trade food stamps - AND EVEN WIC VOUCHERS (which were supposed to go to feed their kids!) for electronic equipment (often stolen to begin with), drugs, vehicle repairs (done in the parking lot), hair extensions, you name it.

I was only on food stamps for a few months. I had three small kids at the time. I was amazed at how much money we qualified for, IN ADDITION TO WIC. We literally had more food than we could EAT. That is no lie. I mean, it was more food than we could eat if I bought groceries like I bought them before receiving food stamps - which meant no sodas, no chips, no junk food - only wholesome food I could cook from scratch. So I understand why people buy so much CRAP and junk on food stamps - I mean, why not use all your quota, right? Why be careful with someone else's money?

Well, you COULD scrimp and feed your family economically and then sell your food stamps that were left over. I saw plenty of that as well.

I knew I needed to get the hell out of Dodge. It became apparent pretty quickly that I had little in common with the people living there. I mean, many of them were friendly and fun to be around...if I ignored their pitiful little children, and disregarded their consistently terrible life choices.
Yes, but I do not require housing assistance, nor do I qualify for it.
I drive a 14 year old vehicle. My right side is paralyzed, and I barely am able to walk, I use talk and type some of the time, I live from paycheck to paycheck, I receive free medical care from the VA because I'm a vet. Let's all tell each other about ourselves here in the thread, so we can see who is poor and who is not.

I have nothing in common with my neighbors either, thanks for sharing, and playing.

Thanks for letting us know what a difficult life you must have or have had.

Excuse me now, I have to go to Piggly Wiggly now, they have chuck shoulder steaks on sale for $3.29 a pound. I'll have to pay cash for them though, I don't qualify for food stamps, badger care, section 8, and the other programs.

Thanks for pointing out misspelling words too, Google Chrome ain't that good after all.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM

Let me share another nugget from my time as a poor person:

My husband was trying to finish college, so he was going to school full time and working part time. Long story short, but a lot of credits didn't transfer when he changed schools, so instead of looking at 1 year and one summer session, we were suddenly looking at two full years and probably one summer session! This was a shock to us, because though we were emotionally prepared to hunker down and be poor - I mean really poor - for one year - we weren't prepared to do that for over two years. And we had gotten out of the military to do this (he was enlisted so we were already used to being poor!). Prior to him enlisting, we had been absolutely dirt poor due to a series of bad choices we had made.

Anyway, so - I met with the financial aid office and they told me, "Well, you don't have to work because you have three little kids. You qualify for all sorts of stuff - food stamps, housing assistance, free child care if you want to work, etc etc etc. Go down to this office and apply for all that."

Long story short - we DID qualify for food stamps and WIC, but we did not qualify for anything else, because we were MARRIED. Get this - the social worker actually told me, "Why don't you and your husband just get a divorce? I mean, he can still - off the record - live with you, but then you would qualify for housing assistance, utility assistance, Aid to Families with Dependent Children, etc etc."

WHAT???? I looked at her and I said, "OK, so let me get this straight. If I just shack up with my baby daddy, and if I decide I DON'T WANT TO WORK, I get this money. But if I decide to remain married to a man who is trying to finish his degree so that he can become an officer in the military and PAY TAXES for the rest of our lives, rather than be on the dole - OR if I decide to put my kids in daycare and actually earn some money myself - then we don't qualify for all this. Well, why should I even be married? Why should I even work? - OH, I GET IT - so that we can BETTER OUR LIVES."

Thanks but no thanks. We left that campus and he went back into the military and completed his degree via night school. It took a lot longer and it was a lot harder, but then - most of the best decisions in life aren't the easier ones.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Yes, but I do not require housing assistance, nor do I qualify for it.
I drive a 14 year old vehicle. My right side is paralyzed, and I barely am able to walk, I use talk and type some of the time, I live from paycheck to paycheck, I receive free medical care from the VA because I'm a vet. Let's all tell each other about ourselves here in the thread, so we can see who is poor and who is not.

I have nothing in common with my neighbors either, thanks for sharing, and playing.
Oh, so you have nothing in common with your low income neighbors either? Do you mean that you are one of the FEW who actually do NEED government assistance? (Thanks for your service, by the way, and as a disabled veteran, I do sincerely hope your needs are met).

And thanks for sharing your story, and helping me prove my point.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
LOL. That sounds like sarcasm to me.^^^

Old 07-31-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, so you have nothing in common with your low income neighbors either? Do you mean that you are one of the FEW who actually do NEED government assistance? (Thanks for your service, by the way, and as a disabled veteran, I do sincerely hope your needs are met).

And thanks for sharing your story, and helping me prove my point.
Tell me more about your tough times, I enjoy reading about them.

I my apartment complex, there's 8 units. Only the residents of 3 own vehicles.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Everyone is "situational poor" at some point in their life. Hell, at some point in their day.

Corporate welfare, EBT cards, public housing, tax "cheats"...it's all a big game. I simply don't care who manipulates the system and what for. It's illogical, immoral, and against most of our instincts. Well, my instincts anyway.

As the kids say ...

"Don't hate the player. Hate The Game."

Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Exactly what are the "poor" responsible for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They already get free housing, free food, free phones, free utilities, free education, free utilities, etc.

Now they complain about the cost of diapers.

What exactly are they responsible for providing themselves?

At the very least, can they keep their neighborhoods clean?

They're responsible for presenting a target for you to hate.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:33 PM

I occasionally visit Goodwill and buy stuff for twenty five cents, and sell it on eBay for 5 bucks, I can then buy potato chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies