Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Rarely enough to last the whole month? What the!!!?? Do you understand the meaning of the word Supplemental?

A poor person is only responsible for providing 0%-30% of the funds for their food bill, and you don't think it's enough???? I have to pay for 100% of my food costs EVERY MONTH, and I NEVER get a break.
Like I said to the OP, who conveniently decided to disappear, if you believe being poor is such a pleasurable experience, why don't you just....become poor? You make it sound so grand, why not live it yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The birth rate is also greater because policies in the U.S. discourage working
Bingo!

And that applies across ALL income levels. For example, the more one works and earns, the more heavily one is taxed.
Quote:
policies in the U.S. discourage working
THAT'S what needs to be fixed.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Well, I HAVE lived it myself and I know the complacency, the victim mentality, the laziness, addictions, and dysfunctionality of a HUGE percentage of "the poor." Been there, done that - and the reason I hated it so much isn't because it was such a desperate lifestyle - it was because I knew that there was something BASICALLY different between me and many of the people living in the projects. It was a difference in attitude, in personal standards and goals.

Just a small example:

When there are several adults living in a home, and none of them are working - WHY is the house filthy? WHY is there money for drugs and alcohol and cable or satellite TV and cigarettes and manicures and elaborate, expensive hair products, but no money for food, or cleaning supplies?

Sorry but that's just the plain, politically incorrect truth.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
About That $1 Trillion in Welfare Spending

A misleading chart on welfare spending - The Washington Post

According to the CBO, "In 2012, federal spending on those programs and tax credits totaled $588 billion."
medicaid is a means tested welfare program is it not ?
I don't care about WHO it goes to; it's still a "means tested welfare program".
Yeah I read those articles about that $1 trillion being "misleading".
And I don't care how they calculate to come out with per household.
I'm just talking about total federal spending.
They claim the charts are inaccurate yet they spend time deflecting to non means tested programs.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Bingo! And that applies across ALL income levels. For example, the more one works and earns, the more heavily one is taxed.
THAT'S what needs to be fixed.
What I was referring to by policies discourage work and parenting is this:

Quote:
Across the reproductive divide, there are other serious problems. The declining fertility of professional women ought to be sounding an alarm, highlighting the extent to which our policies are deeply unfriendly to parents. Low birthrates in Europe have inspired a slew of policies designed to make it easier to simultaneously work and parent, yet here, because our overall birthrate is robust, we've had no such moment of reckoning. So while Germany recently responded to the fact that its birthrate had slipped below 1.4 children per woman by making its paid leave policy more generous, allowing mothers and fathers to split up to 18 months after the birth of a child, the United States still has no national paid leave law in place. And while Denmark, France, and Sweden provide good subsidized care to the vast majority of their populations, we still have no decent childcare system.

America's Fertility Class Divide: What new numbers from the Center for Work-Life Policy and the Guttmacher Institute reveal. - Slate Magazine

Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Rarely enough to last the whole month? What the!!!?? Do you understand the meaning of the word Supplemental?

A poor person is only responsible for providing 0%-30% of the funds for their food bill, and you don't think it's enough???? I have to pay for 100% of my food costs EVERY MONTH, and I NEVER get a break.
I like the way you ignored every point I made but the one about SNAP.

I have to pay 100% of my food costs, too. But at least I am rational enough to know that is not the fault of the people getting SNAP benefits.

Food costs have risen dramatically over the past several years for a few different reasons. One is rising fuel costs. Modern agriculture is very dependent of fossil fuels, both to drive machines and to produce chemical fertilizers.

Another is the fact position limits on speculation were pretty much eliminated during the 1990s. There used to be strict limits (i.e. "position limits") on how much of a given staple crop could be bought up by speculators. With the disappearance of those limits, speculators can keep vast quantities of basic foodstuffs off the market until the price rises to a level they find satisfactory. And they have.

I'll say it again: educate yourself. Don't just run your mouth.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
medicaid is a means tested welfare program is it not ?
I don't care about WHO it goes to; it's still a "means tested welfare program".
Yeah I read those articles about that $1 trillion being "misleading".
And I don't care how they calculate to come out with per household.
I'm just talking about total federal spending.
They claim the charts are inaccurate yet they spend time deflecting to non means tested programs.
Most of the people on Medicaid are disabled or senior citizens who already spent a lifetime working. Calling them moochers is particularly insulting. Maybe in Conservative HappyTexanLand grandma works until she dies and we euthanize the disabled.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You're going to feel really badly when you find out that the majority of people on food stamps are the disabled & the elderly. Why not go tell your grandma to take a flying leap, eh?

My grandmother (and her kids including my Mother) grew up very poor. But Grandma can pinch a penny like I've never seen before. Taking the cotton off of a q-tip, and adding new cotton back on from a cotton ball. Using the bag from an empty cereal box for all sorts of uses (cover food in microwave, use as a zip-lock bag for food storage, etc.)

Today she's a millionaire, because she saved every single penny, and invested it in land. They didn't have much, but she made the most out of it.

So I see no need to tell Grandma anything. As a matter of fact, I like to ask grandma lots of questions, I learn a ton from her.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Here's another real life example of a bizarre sort of mentality:

My husband works up in West Virginia a lot. His business has brought some prosperity to people who have been living in what we as Americans call poverty (and what people in third world countries would consider the veritable lap of luxury). Now they're making some decent money. A young guy who works for my husband filed an extension on his taxes because for the first time in his life, he actually OWES taxes - which was a complete shock to his system. Anyway, he knows he owes the IRS a couple of thousand dollars. So what does he do? He goes out and buys a brand new truck, a brand new motorcycle, and he and his wife got matching $800 tattoos. And now he doesn't have the money to send to the IRS so he's freaking out.

Sheeze.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Basically, it's lying with statistics.
No, it is not. By what logic do you pretend that anyone in the U.S. does not benefit from national defense spending the same as anyone else? And I've already explained that all but the low-income LOSE money on Social Security. Medicare? That was enacted as a federal INSURANCE program to which premiums are paid with no caps all throughout one's earning years AND the premium payments continue once one is retired.

The math doesn't lie, MTAtech. Eventually, you're going to have to face reality. It is inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies