U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2013, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,577,388 times
Reputation: 9700

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What about the OP's ignorance in blaming KY when the state instituted the new standards by citing the objections of some religious extremists?

Holy broken logic batman!

I guess if Illinois passes some tougher rape sentencing laws and some crackpots disagree we can start a thead about how Illinois is populated by backwards cavemen that just want to rape people.
Reading is fundamental, my friend. I was commenting on a statement made by a Baptist minister in the article. I even quoted it. Would you like me to do it again, but more slowly this time, so it will give you a chance to move your lips while you read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
 
5,280 posts, read 3,361,449 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
They are both used to control people and push agendas....this cannot be refuted.
It can and has been refuted.

Again, it is so delicious when some off you try to denigrate science by arguing that it is no better than religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM
 
8,101 posts, read 4,812,456 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
It can and has been refuted.

Again, it is so delicious when some off you try to denigrate science by arguing that it is no better than religion.
You're deluded...that also can't be refuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM
 
8,101 posts, read 4,812,456 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Only one of them is based on objective facts, that can't be refuted either.

The physics of the world remain the same whether people are present or not.

Religion?

Not so much.
Yes, that is well known. But the problem with science is that many of these "objective facts" are just sophistry painted as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,515 posts, read 38,510,596 times
Reputation: 26891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Yes, that is well known. But the problem with science is that many of these "objective facts" are just sophistry painted as such.
Examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
 
8,101 posts, read 4,812,456 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Examples?
fMR imaging and it's data interpretations are probably the poster boy.

global warming is another great example how holding statistical analysis hostage can make it say whatever you want it to. To be fair, this is a by-product of rent seeking. And most pseudo-science is...But that's why we call science a "tool", right?



a great tool for truth and equally as good for lying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:05 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,003 posts, read 22,018,039 times
Reputation: 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Yeah (not) for Kentucky wanting to keep their religious dogma instead of teaching kids true science and critical thinking skills.

Yes, the sky daddy is what created all the things around you. there is no such thing as evolution!



Next Generation Science Standards In Kentucky Draw Hostility From Religious Groups
What else would one expected from a place that's called KINtucky.
KINtucky - 4 million people, 12 last names.
If two rednecks get divorced, are they cousins?
Backward, backward, backward.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:11 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,003 posts, read 22,018,039 times
Reputation: 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Couldn't disagree more strongly. Most people, the vast majority even, who worship Science as their God are doing nothing more than believing what is told to them by CNN and their leaders. Zero difference from people who believe whatever their Preacher tells them to believe.
Wrong.
There's a BIG difference - ANYONE who wants to become a scientist and use the math and science to PROVE for themselves that the science is right (or wrong) CAN simply do so - they don't HAVE to take the word of anyone.
That's not true of religion.
With religion there IS no independent verification possible - it's ALL based on faith, that's WHY it's called "faith".

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 07-30-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:15 PM
 
6,156 posts, read 4,004,326 times
Reputation: 1511
"Kentucky" didn't call anything anything.

Quite the opposite in fact.

You should change the title of your thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,515 posts, read 38,510,596 times
Reputation: 26891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
fMR imaging and it's data interpretations are probably the poster boy.
If it's termed 'interpretation', how is that one of the 'objective facts' you allege?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
global warming is another great example how holding statistical analysis hostage can make it say whatever you want it to. To be fair, this is a by-product of rent seeking. And most pseudo-science is...But that's why we call science a "tool", right?
I usually see global warming put forth as a theory, how is that an 'objective fact'?

An objective fact would be something like acceleration due to gravity, the speed of light, heat of evaporation, boiling points, freezing points, etc. , etc., etc.. Things that certainly have nothing comparable in the religions people attempt to liken to science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top