U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM
 
8,101 posts, read 4,794,132 times
Reputation: 1578

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I have only one response to your post:


Except the kids on the lower left are autistic

/your attempt at wit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM
 
20,979 posts, read 15,643,406 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Science can indeed be fascist....science is a tool and can be used for very bad things.
Hitler believed in "science".

Eugenics

I'll take God's word over man's any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 11,770,730 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
In what contexts are these books being used? Are these homeschool materials? Please don't tell me there's an actual school using these.
I understand they are used in some Christian schools and for Home schooling.

A Beka Book :: Our Foundation
Textbooks & Supplies | BJU Press

Is it any wonder why many far right Christian conservatives 'think' the way they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Midwest
29,175 posts, read 18,426,620 times
Reputation: 6983
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
it depends.

If they want to introduce Mein Kampf or Lenin to study - it is fascist and socialism
"Mein Kampf" would fall under the category of religious teachings.

Hitler's religious beliefs and fanaticism

(Selected quotes from Mein Kampf)

One example:
Quote:
"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."
Hitler's religious beliefs and fanaticism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Chesapeake Bay
6,045 posts, read 3,647,022 times
Reputation: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
In what contexts are these books being used? Are these homeschool materials? Please don't tell me there's an actual school using these.
The A Beka Books are highly recommended for home school and study. Incredible ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 PM
 
806 posts, read 545,038 times
Reputation: 176
this thread is the proof that the most militant ignorant religious people are those, who worship an infallible totem of "science"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 PM
 
806 posts, read 545,038 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"Mein Kampf" would fall under the category of religious teachings.

Hitler's religious beliefs and fanaticism

(Selected quotes from Mein Kampf)

One example:
Hitler's religious beliefs and fanaticism

***yawning***

you may want to educate yourself a bit before exposing your ignorance.

Hitler was anything but religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM
 
49,044 posts, read 39,492,599 times
Reputation: 30667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"Mein Kampf" would fall under the category of religious teachings.

Hitler's religious beliefs and fanaticism

(Selected quotes from Mein Kampf)

One example:
Hitler's religious beliefs and fanaticism
Mein Kampf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Mein Kampf (pronounced [maɪ̯n kampf], "My Struggle") is a book by Nazi leader Adolf Hitler. It combines elements of autobiography with an exposition of Hitler's political ideology.
Religious bigotry is still bigotry.

Do you get nervous when a young black male is around too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Midwest
29,175 posts, read 18,426,620 times
Reputation: 6983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Mein Kampf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



Religious bigotry is still bigotry.

Do you get nervous when a young black male is around too?
Yes Religion a useful tool to justify bigotry, racism, intolerance,..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 11,770,730 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
What strawmen? I've never took your argument out of context. I simply asked you for one study that you feel has the most meaningful conclusion to sexual orientation being innate. I have access to Jstor.
So you don't know what a strawman statement is either?

This may help:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Straw man - RationalWiki

Where did I say you took my argument out of context? (taking something out of context is not in itself a straw man argument btw).

How about you state what you think my 'argument' actually is?

In fact, why don't you state what YOUR argument is?

I have posted links to many research articles and studies. You claim to have read them all. You choose one.

But you are completely missing the point if you think taking one study on it's own and trying to tear it down using semantics and straw men proves anything at all other than your blind prejudice.

My argument is that all the research from at least the past 20 years supports the hypothesis that homosexuality as a sexual orientation is biological (this does not mean purely genetic btw). There is no reliable evidence to show that it is a choice, just a behaviour, 'caused' by having a distant father, can be changed with therapy or prayer, or any other lame non-evidence-based claim made by the religious anti-gay crusaders.

This statement pretty much sums up my views and the views of most knowledgeable health professionals and scientists in the field. Views based on the available evidence, not religious propaganda, ignorance and prejudice.


Royal College of Psychiatrists
"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment."

Last edited by Ceist; 07-30-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top