Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This sounds like a paternalistic "you don't know what's good for you so we must decide for you" nannyism. how's that working out in DC and NYC?
This is how it used to work out in NYC, before nannyism:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Quote:
It costs nothing to allow two houses on a standard lot (as in the Bay Area) or to allow more than two or three unrelated individuals to live in a house that is legal for a family of eight.
Allowing more than a certain number of unrelated individuals is not zoning, it's an anti-brothel law. They are not done for safety. This is really basic stuff here. If this is the kind of research you do for your beliefs, it's no wonder to me why you are right next to poverty.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
can't save money when government is redistributing my money to my landlord...which you support for some unstated reason.
Endeavor to make more money.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:18 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
People earning minimum wage are complaining that they can't live on that wage, and they want government to intervene and raise the minimum wage.

As conservatives are quick to point out, that is a bad idea and reduces liberty.

But there iis a way to resolve this issue while increasing liberty.

Create local zones where the housing standards are set at levels that minimum wage workers can afford to live in. This might mean higher density or relaxed code standards.

Many conservatives object to raising the minimum wage (and some to any minimum wage at all) but they never seem to offer a solution with which these workers could actually afford.
So raising the minimum wage is an affront to liberty but rent control is not? Moreover, what does "Create local zones where the housing standards are set at levels that minimum wage workers can afford" mean? To me, that sounds like relaxing fire and safety standards or cramming 20 people in a room.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Allowing more than a certain number of unrelated individuals is not zoning, it's an anti-brothel law. They are not done for safety. This is really basic stuff here. If this is the kind of research you do for your beliefs, it's no wonder to me why you are right next to poverty.

??? unrelated occupancy laws exist to prevent brothels??? got a cite for that? i will definitely research this. east lansing mich enacted an unrelated occupancy limit of two in the late 1990s, i had no idea they had a brothel problem there! also lubbock texas, bellingham wash, fort collins colorado, wow why hasn't the media caught onto this brothel problem?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:28 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I think government should not as heavily regulate and over tax corporations so they can hire more people
While it's easy to be against regulations in the abstract, it's difficult to find specific regulations that are onerous. Should we get rid of regulations that prohibit farm corporations from using harmful pesticides; should we relax the regulation that sets a maximum number of hours a pilot can fly; how about the safety regulations on oil rigs?

Someone in government didn't just wake up on day and say, " I'd like to add regulations to this industry." They came about after markets failed to solve the problem -- often after tragedies, like the Triangle Fire.

As for the claim that corporations are over-taxed, corporations now pay a lower percent of income in taxes than at any other in modern times. In addition, those corporations are sitting on trillions in savings. What makes one think giving them a tax-cut will have them hire more people than just adding to their savings?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
??? unrelated occupancy laws exist to prevent brothels??? got a cite for that? i will definitely research this. east lansing mich enacted an unrelated occupancy limit of two in the late 1990s, i had no idea they had a brothel problem there! also lubbock texas, bellingham wash, fort collins colorado, wow why hasn't the media caught onto this brothel problem?
Just type "Brothel Law" into Google and you get all the citations you want, including examples.

It's an old way to do things, but yes that's what the laws are called. This is basic research into multiple occupancy, and that this is a complete surprise shows you don't have any idea (and have not done any research into) what you are talking about.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So raising the minimum wage is an affront to liberty but rent control is not? Moreover, what does "Create local zones where the housing standards are set at levels that minimum wage workers can afford" mean? To me, that sounds like relaxing fire and safety standards or cramming 20 people in a room.

thank you for setting me up

rent control is an affront to liberty...but so is exclusionary zoning. in fact, rent control (price control and redistribution from owners to renters) and zoning (supply control and redistribution from renters to owners) are mirror images of each other.

If minimum wage is not a living wage, and if raising the minimum wage is unacceptable to some, and if min wage workers cannot live on min wage, what other solution is there but mine?

Perhaps private dormitories for min wage workers?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
can't save money when government is redistributing my money to my landlord...which you support for some unstated reason.
You expect to live for free?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
If minimum wage is not a living wage, and if raising the minimum wage is unacceptable to some, and if min wage workers cannot live on min wage, what other solution is there but mine?
Just to state the blatently obvious, earn more money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies