Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

First a person has to stay alive and all these are needed to do that. I think they are included in the "Life" part of the quote. Many people do not think these as rights but as rewards for playing the "game".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
OP is no longer a member. Just an 8th grade kid passing through.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
It couldn't possibly be any sillier and fantastical than the concept of "natural rights."
Not really. Some one defined natural rights and stated they believed people are entitled to them.

Basic life right has not been defined, and the OP is asking if restricting what has not been defined (or even asked if anyone believes they are basic rights) offends the people around him. It's a pretty nutty and dishonest strawman set up.

I can't be offended about basic life rights, or even know if I have them, if I don't even know what they are.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think they might include more than "Life, Liberty and Persuit of Happiness" such as water, food, shelter and clothing regardless of a person's ability to work.
Here's the thing: I interpret food as items meeting basic nutritional needs, others define it as also including steak, sodas, and potato chips. I interpret clothes as the cheapest functional items a person needs and believe a clean, in good repair, plain shirt appropriate to work in from goodwill works, while one else says that would be insulting. I do not include TVs, cell phones with unlimited minutes, computers, boom boxes, play stations, or the latest gizmo a right. That is the issue. No one thinks people should starve, or be homeless, or wear dirty rags, but no one has a "right" to what I have had to work hard for. They have a right to chose to purchase those things if they want to with their own earned assets.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsteen View Post
Why then can't ALL access basic life rights? hmm...

But no, you are the KINGS, you determine all. lol..
H.L. Mencken said it best: "People don't value rights, they value privileges."

Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I would think that it's along the lines of:

A right that I have should also be granted to others, regardless of demographic and/or protected status (religion, sexual orientation, etc.):

I can vote, you can vote.
I am allowed to work, you are allowed to work.
I am allowed to drive a car, you are allowed to drive a car.
I am allowed to marry the person I love, you are allowed to marry the person you love.
I can sponsor my significant other for a green card, you can do the same.

And so forth. It's not so hard to understand - unless, of course, one has a vested interest in pretending to be obtuse.
Uhm... Driving a car is NOT a right, it is a earned privilege. Surely you do not want my 93-year old, half-blind aunt, who never had a license, driving? Or someone who chooses to drink and drive. This is a very good example of the problem with the logic of many who decry our nation's treatment of certain classes, they think a privilege is a right. The also want equal outcomes, which means taking things away from those who have earned it and giving it to those who haven't, instead of equal opportunity. They are very different.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You cannot really live, have freedom or be happy without those things, can you?
I can't live without sex, so sex must be on the list.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:23 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
This thread proves that not all are equal.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Default Does equality offend you?

No...

But members > not a members

Old 07-31-2013, 12:55 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsteen View Post
Why then can't ALL access basic life rights? hmm...

But no, you are the KINGS, you determine all. lol..

What??

This is proof positive that our education system is a failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies