Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:00 PM

3,932 posts, read 5,068,415 times

Advertisements

Now the FBI is getting in on the Surveillance party.

FBI pressures Internet providers to install surveillance software

Quote:
FBI officials have been sparring with carriers, a process that has on occasion included threats of contempt of court, in a bid to deploy government-provided software capable of intercepting and analyzing entire communications streams. The FBI's legal position during these discussions is that the software's real-time interception of metadata is authorized under the Patriot Act.
FBI pressures Internet providers to install surveillance software | Politics and Law - CNET News

Last edited by Grizzmeister; 08-02-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,909,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Now the FBI is getting in on the Surveillance party.

FBI pressures Internet providers to install surveillance software

FBI pressures Internet providers to install surveillance software | Politics and Law - CNET News
Trying to keep up with NSA I suppose.
FBI Pushing Hard for Realtime Email, Gchat, Skype, and Dropbox Spying Powers
These methods apparently aren't producing what they desire.
FBI Wiretap Cut Off After Feds Fail To Pay Telecom Spying Bills ...
FBI Alleged To Have Backdoored OpenBSD's ... - BSD - Slashdot

Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Has the Gov't Lied on Snooping? Let's Go to the Videotape

How much longer are we going to allow this nonsense to continue?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,421,064 times
From my reading and watching having servers all over the world we are spying on other countries no? That the NSA is just "accidentally" intercepting foreign calls. If not why have servers all around the world?

Last edited by Teckeeee; 08-03-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 11:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Gee, the NSA won't share their stuff with the FBI ?
They all want their own databases full of our data now ?

How many splitters can they install before we all lag out ?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 24,622,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
From my reading and watching having servers all over the world we are spying on other countries no? That the NSA is just "accidentally" intercepting foreign calls. If not why have servers all around the world?
Not just servers, regular spy centers in Bad Aibling, Griesheim, soon Wiesbaden (all in Germany) and other places. It is mostly about industrial espionage. An NSA agents has already admitted to having passed on confidential wind energy technology to a US competitor. He said he found it while infiltrating German computers and industrial espionage is one of his missions...
Unfortunately the German secret services are not much better, carrying on the good old Nazi and Stasi tradition... Working together with the NSA etc., against the people of all the countries involved.

Since Hoover the US has been on a moral nosedive...

Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 PM

Senator Obama warned about Patriot Act abuses. President Obama proved him right.

Quote:
In December 2005, Congress was debating the first re-authorization of the Patriot Act, a controversial 2001 law that gave the federal government expanded power to spy on Americans. And Barack Obama was one of nine senators who signed a letter criticizing the then-current version of the legislation for providing insufficient protections for civil liberties.
Sen. Obama warned about Patriot Act abuses. President Obama proved him right.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,417,108 times
Honestly for years now I've thought of 'what if our government is looking at us through our webcams'. What do you all think of that theory? My MacBook has a green-light when the camera is on, but I'm positive with a few agreements the government and Apple could go around that. I have an iPhone and iPad as well, I can only imagine they are constantly recording me as well and IF they are I will be completely ready to protest it more than ever. Imagine years and years of our videos being held at the Utah Data Center!

While I do agree with some liberals, these programs aren't doing too much to harm us, but nonetheless if we don't show that we care now, eventually things will evolve too far and become something that we truly don't want.. I can't even say I'm being paranoid, things are evolving far too quick around us to not note that things will get out of hand someday.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Default The Plot thickens

Intelligence committee urged to explain if they withheld crucial NSA document

Quote:
The leadership of the House intelligence committee is under growing pressure to explain whether it withheld surveillance information from members of Congress before a key vote to renew the Patriot Act.

A Republican congressman and government ethics watchdogs are demanding that the powerful panel's chairman, Mike Rogers of Michigan, responds to charges that the panel's leadership failed to share a document prepared by the justice department and intelligence community.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ssure-document

Who's watching the NSA's watchers? - YouTube

It's painfully obvious that some members of the House Intelligence committee have their hand in the cookie jar. Keep an eye on this because it appears that the foundation for the NSA's illegal and unconstitutional surveillance programs was formed from lies and deceit.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 24,622,730 times
We need new leaks from Snowden in order to keep this matter in the news. Most people grow tired of the same topic pretty fast when there is no new data to fuel the flame...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies