Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually if you remember back to 2009, you would remember that Republicans did everything in their power to prevent anything without a super majority from passing. There was no way to get a massive infrastructure bill passed without Republican support, and they were very much aware of that. So while you are blaming the Democrats, the do nothing Republicans have done nothing good for our country or our economy, and don't you forget that.
An "infrastructure" bill ramrodded thru by Democrats that paid for litanies of boondoggles, shenanigans, and smoke & mirrors like Solyndra, Satcon Technology, Evergreen Solar, Spectrawatt, Mountain Plaza, Olsen's, and multitudes of others.

Even if your assertion is true and Republicans are "do nothing," zero is still more than the negatives like the aforementioned companies that wasted billions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah and Obama and Immelt are still laughing at you folks for buying that horse manure he "shoveled".

Live Mistake - OBAMA LAUGHS AT and SHOWS DISRESPECT to U.S. CITIZENS - YouTube
Actually a number of projects in my state of Oregon were completed thanks to that stimulus.

Stimulus Watch: Keeping an Eye on Economic Recovery Spending
If you are wondering where that stimulus money for shovel ready projects went to, just click on the link....or continue to blindly believe that nothing happened with that money because that obviously fits into your propaganda better.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Egypt is a special case because of their canal, the US enjoys having priority with that canal because of the money and weapons we give to Egypt and if that deal turned bad and we cut the supply, they very well could deny US ships from using the canal and that would wreak havoc on the US economy as well as fuel costs.
Point well taken and I do not have a logical solution of what we could do If Egypt shut us out of the canal except bomb the living crap out of them and take it over. But I am against that idea.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Actually a number of projects in my state of Oregon were completed thanks to that stimulus.

If you are wondering where that stimulus money for shovel ready projects went to, just click on the link....or continue to blindly believe that nothing happened with that money because that obviously fits into your propaganda better.
$1.8 billion. Now enlighten us all on the total ROI from all those funded "stimulus initiatives." You can't... It all disappeared into a bottomless pit.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I have yet to hear a explanation of what tangible infrastructure improvements we will make, and how they will help us economically, after reading hundreds of posts here on city-data on the topic.

Maybe I'm not listening hard enough, but most of what I hear is vague allusions to "roads and bridges" and our "crumbling infrastructure".

So pitch an idea please.

I like the idea of commuter rail, but that seems like something that should be handled by cities that will know best how it will impact them.
2013 ReportCard on America's Infrastructure
That is a great site that basically sums up the American infrastructure and what we need to do to repair it and upgrade to the 21st century.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
One cant be stupid enough to think that fixing a road today, will create more jobs than if it was done tomorrow..
No, it creates a job today when a job today is needed. I thought you were smarter than that....guess I was wrong.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:

That link makes me sick to my stomach going back to see all the money that was flushed down the gdam toilet.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
$1.8 billion. Now enlighten us all on the total ROI from all those funded "stimulus initiatives." You can't... It all disappeared into a bottomless pit.
Yep and now these same folks are back at the trough wanting more. If they get it then that will disappear into the pit and they will be back wanting more yet again. No ROI is correct unless your a turtle who needed a tunnel to crawl under a highway so as to not get run over.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Those are temporary jobs.

You do realize there is a big difference between investment and stimulus right?

Investment has a positive ROI.

The purpose of infrastructure is investment.
First off, all construction jobs are technically temporary jobs, the only way to make a construction job permanent is to keep building and repairing.

Also, if you don't think our infrastructure is an investment, then you have no idea how much money moves on our aging infrastructure. All our cargo travels by plane, boat, rail, and truck. Without an infrastructure, there is no money to be made. So that is exactly what an investment is, making sure goods can travel from point A to point B is essencial to our country.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That link makes me sick to my stomach going back to see all the money that was flushed down the gdam toilet.
Well it is good to know you get sick from seeing our aging infrastructure being repaired. I sometimes think you Cons want to see this country turn into some third world country where you have to sell a goat to take a wooden raft across a river.

Seriously, do you drive down a road with potholes and think to yourself "this road sure could use some more potholes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies