U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should only property owners have the right to vote on issues of rising property taxes?
Yes 67 60.36%
no 41 36.94%
Other 2 1.80%
Welcome to Costco I love you. 10 9.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 PM

9,427 posts, read 5,521,471 times

Advertisements

Should only property owners have the right to vote on issues of rising property taxes?

simple question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,493,725 times
I don't think anybody would want there property taxes increased no matter what....

You will in Las Vegas where cost of living is extremely cheap. I was there in March and was surprised finding rents for less than $300 a month, some even cheaper! You could work at McDonalds full-time and live well in Nevada.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:21 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,708,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Should only property owners have the right to vote on issues of rising property taxes?

simple question.

As a low income renter, I say no. FWIW, I almost always vote no in property taxes, although many people believe that renters vote for property taxes because it doesn't hit them directly.

Rental property is taxed at higher rates than owner-occupied homes in many states, which means that homeowners are voting for taxes on rental property that are not levied on their own homes.

In Michigan, there is an explicit "nonhomestead tax" which homeowners love to vote for since it literally costs them nothing. I always vote against this unfair tax and would never agree to give up that vote because I don't own property.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:32 AM

113 posts, read 83,138 times
I rent, and always vote no on any increased spending or taxes. One thing I would like to see is for apartment complexes to put the estimated portion of the property tax that the renter is paying on their bill. I doubt that's currently legal, but that would put in the mind of some renters who are clueless how much they are paying the local gov't via property tax.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 AM

774 posts, read 1,357,799 times
The only way I know of to vote against higher property taxes is with your feet.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 AM

16,462 posts, read 19,996,430 times
Quote:

simple question.
If they don't get you with property taxes, they'll get one way or another!

OK, let the property owners have the right to vote on issues of rising property taxes, but you can well-well-well-believe they'll have no say on rising sales taxes!

Property taxes are super low here in Las Vegas. We already have a half-percent sales tax going to fund the police and another 1/4 percentage increase in sales taxes on the way after 8/6, to fund more police! Try and stop that one!!!

Pick your poison!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:40 AM

14,051 posts, read 9,781,545 times
Property taxes also impact renters, something too many people don't get, including far too many renters. That, of course, is a problem, renters blithefully vote a property tax raise thinking it won't hurt them, just rich guys like their landlord.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,227,160 times
Quote:

simple question.
Not really. Even those who don't own property are affected, since they rent, and their rent will go up accordingly.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,481,610 times
Quote:

simple question.
Should only smokers vote on cigarette taxes, Auto ownes on fuel taxes?

One of the many problems with this notion is that Revenuers and property owners are using my tax dollars to have elections in which I am not privy too.

If you could devise an Issues Election system, in which only those effected can vote without using the general tax funds [or paying out of their own pocket for that priviledge] for those elections, I would be willing to listen and consider.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 AM

5,427 posts, read 4,194,860 times
They should be eliminated all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies