U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:02 AM

22,364 posts, read 27,461,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I may be wrong, but weren't FDR, Lincoln Jefferson and Madison all presidents without prior military experience, just like Bush (AWOL in the Nation Guard doesn't count)and Clinton.
Bush was never AWOL. Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 AM

22,364 posts, read 27,461,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Clinton carried forward an action plan that was started by the previous administration as part of the Peace Dividend, a bipartisan agreement signed under Bush Sr with Colin Powell's, who was the original architect of the defense cuts, assistance.

More:
PolitiFact | The peace dividend began with a Bush

A contemporary article about this topic: Congress Sees Little Joy in Long-Awaited `Peace Dividend' - The Tech
That doesn't change the fact that Clinton cut the military back by 40%. It also doesn't change the fact that Clinton (both Clintons, actually) hate the military. Some "Commander-In-Chief!" Hating his own military!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,234,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That doesn't change the fact that Clinton cut the military back by 40%. It also doesn't change the fact that Clinton (both Clintons, actually) hate the military. Some "Commander-In-Chief!" Hating his own military!
I have FOUR words for you:

Base Reassignment and Closure. Look into the procedure, and you'll find that it's done YEARS in advance of it actually happening.

But "buying out" contracts? Like George Bush the First did after Desert Storm? That's done in real time.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 648 times
What is so positively wonderful about this argument is the fact that we are judging presidents who participate in avoiding draft when people avoid the draft everyday. Many people have fled to Canada to avoid the Iraq War and I completely agree with them. You are damned if you go, damned if you don't go. Al Gore opposed the Vietnam War, but he enlisted in hopes that his father would not be slandered that his son did not participate in the war and when Gore got back he was viewed as a hypocrite to the highest level. All those who agree with wars should, no questions asked, be shipped out. George Washington lead Americans in the Revolutionary War and became the first commander-in-cheif AKA president. All though it was one of the few wars on United State's soil, he fought for what he believed in and shockingly he became president. Personally I believe if there is a war, the president should HAVE to attend the war he is supporting. That kind of... commander part of being the chief. So, old Bush Jr. believes in the war to gain oil- he should be sent out to fight along side our troops. Since he owns one of the largest oil companies, I believe the war in Iraq is pretty obvious. Bush may not survive past day one, but perhaps he can get a sense of what our soldiers are dying for. There are so many things corrupt about this government I think that the topic of "who dodge the draft" should be considered; but I think more importantly we should think about- who is producing wars to make the American people feel they need to dodge them in the first place. Start at the cause then focus and pick on the effect.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 73,920,453 times
If a nation needs to be defended, why would it need a draft? When a war is unneded for natiohal defense, the truly courageous are those who dare to stand up and say No when ordered to do the unthinkable, and face the consequences of their principles.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:09 PM

772 posts, read 1,088,154 times
verge of anarchy and jtur88, you both make good sense to me. I've often thought true pride in your country often lie in the citizen army, of course one of the best examples was the American revolution. The idea of private citizens uprising to protect their family and property against foreign aggression in most situations is the worst combat situation for any invader. The recent success for the private army Hezbollah in driving Isreali forces out of Lebanon, is an example of this daunting task. It is only American air supremacy thst has allowed the U.S to continue within Afghanistan and Iraq. I still think it's every citizens duty to protect the nation from foreign aggression and its a mockery for the president to be commander-in-chief without serving for his nation. In this situation a draft wouldn't be required since the citizen military would be for defensive purposes only.
In the words of Ron Paul "Young people are not raw material to be employed by the political class on behalf of whatever fashionable political, military, or social cause catches its fancy. In a free society, their lives are not the playthings of government."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies