U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-03-2013, 12:49 PM

2,040 posts, read 506,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

If every taxpayer just stopped paying taxes, that would send a message. They can't throw us all in jail, can they?
There are idiots that say they aren't taxed enough!

We should all stop paying and "allow" them to pay more on our behalf. Maybe then they'd stop crying about it?

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:16 PM

4,672 posts, read 2,303,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's a complete characterization of the ACA.

If your employer had a health care plan with XYZ insurance company before ObamaCare, you will have a health care plan with XYZ insurance company after ObamaCare. There is nothing different unless your employer changes plans.

Congress and their staff has a had an employer based system for decades.

According to No, Congress isn’t trying to exempt itself from Obamacare :
Obamacare makes the cost of my employers plan too expensive for her to continue to provide it to me. Is there someone that will subsidize that cost the same way the taxpayer is being forced to subsidize congress' Obamacare costs? That is why they are not getting the same plan as me or others. Obama is just changing another part of the law.

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:21 PM

19,636 posts, read 5,885,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Obamacare makes the cost of my employers plan too expensive for her to continue to provide it to me. Is there someone that will subsidize that cost the same way the taxpayer is being forced to subsidize congress' Obamacare costs? That is why they are not getting the same plan as me or others. Obama is just changing another part of the law.
I believe the only way that would be true is if your employer is providing an insurance plan that doesn't even meet basic Medicare levels of coverage.

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:22 PM

6,331 posts, read 1,292,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are not exempt. They still have to sign up.
Their issue was that they couldn't get the government subsidies and would have to pay the full cost.
They didn't want to pay the full cost.

So now taxpayers will subsidize their premiums.

It's all taxpayer money in the end..whether it comes from Obamacare or the General Fund.

Pretty sad isn't it when workers in Congress and Congress themselves don't want to pay their full premiums.
Most of them wouldn't have qualified anyway with the 400% FPL limit.

We are going to see the deficit SOAR next year with all the subsidies Obamacare is going to be paying.

400% of poverty line is a means tested program that will now include middle class making over $50K a year.
Who would have thought that $50K a year qualified you for a means tested program ?

And that is what Obamacare is..another means tested welfare program.
What you neglect to mention is that this is a simple carry over from what they already had.

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:24 PM

6,331 posts, read 1,292,419 times
Quote:
The point was already made to you that you are wrong. These people are not exempt and their treatment will be no different than it already has been.

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 484,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Congress and federal employees exempt themselves from something they impose on us slaves.

Go figure ...
Be careful with the label "federal employees." Those listed in the story are not rank and file federal employees, but political appointees. If federal employees had that much latitude, do you think there would be 650, 000 DoD employees on furlough right now?

Unread 08-03-2013, 02:44 PM

2,040 posts, read 506,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The point was already made to you that you are wrong. These people are not exempt and their treatment will be no different than it already has been.
No. A Congress member's staff are he/she's employees. They ought to be treated like any other employer. No company gets a penny in subsidies to pay their employee's HC and neither should they.

Posted with TapaTalk

Unread 08-03-2013, 04:40 PM

9,753 posts, read 9,394,607 times
Quote:
Underline mine for emphasis. Obama does not have the authority to change the law. He has been doing that, but the Constitution does not give him that authority and the people (and Congress) should not allow him to do it. It is Congress that makes law, not the President.

Unread 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM

67,892 posts, read 28,424,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Underline mine for emphasis. Obama does not have the authority to change the law. He has been doing that, but the Constitution does not give him that authority and the people (and Congress) should not allow him to do it. It is Congress that makes law, not the President.
As long as Congress does nothing he will keep on "changing laws".

Unread 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM

13,347 posts, read 3,889,439 times
Quote:
While they will still have to pretend to be taking part in the program, 75% of their premiums will be paid by you and me. So big business is exempt, many unions and companies friendly to Obama have receives waivers and congress has 3/4 of their costs paid for by the taxpayer. Only the poor slobs in the middle class and small business get screwed by Obama. This law needs to be defunded.
Hill gets Obamacare fix - John Bresnahan and Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

And you expected parity from Washington? Since when?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies