Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Well said! That's what we Canadians don't understand.
Put it this way; someone approaches you with a gun threatening to kill you, do you choose to shoot first, or to run and take the chance they will shoot you in the back?

Running away is no guarantee of your personal safety, and often more risk than standing your ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Define "DANGER" for me please.
It's irrelevant to this discussion becsue It would be the same defintion with or without SYG, does that help? The difference with SYG is that law enforcement or a prosecutor can't second guess what actions I've taken to defend myself. The only thing they can concern themselves with is if the killing was justified.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 AM

340 posts, read 523,934 times
Quote:
Originally posted by jimhcon
Put it this way; someone approaches you with a gun threatening to kill you, do you choose to shoot first, or to run and take the chance they will shoot you in the back?
First off, IMO that is where the 2nd amendment fails common US people... common people, as in those who aren't interested in hot-shotting around with a pistol tucked into their pants belt. IMO affording that sort of power to ordinary everyday people of all walks of life is as asinine as it gets.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's irrelevant to this discussion becsue It would be the same defintion with or without SYG, does that help? The difference with SYG is that law enforcement or a prosecutor can't second guess what actions I've taken to defend myself. The only thing they can concern themselves with is if the killing was justified.
No, it doesn't help, account, I see and read about the SYG law being abused and over-used, not to mention, used wrongfully (all the time).

Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM

I'll expand on this a little more. If I'm at my house and awoken by a burglar in the middle night and then blow his head off it's case closed with the Castle Doctrine. Without that law if for example it's found the burglar was unarmed law enforcement could argue that I didn't have to kill the guy becsue he wasn't armed. Understand now?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't help, account, I see and read about the SYG law being abused and over-used, not to mention, used wrongfully (all the time).
That's exactly my point becsue the media and the anti-gun crowd have completely misrepresented what these laws are. They are the ones with blood on their hands.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I'll expand on this a little more. If I'm at my house and awoken by a burglar in the middle night and then blow his head off it's case closed with the Castle Doctrine. Without that law if for example it's found the burglar was unarmed law enforcement could argue that I didn't have to kill the guy becsue he wasn't armed. Understand now?
I'm not familiar with the Castle Doctrine, however, when it comes to protecting oneself and family (in ones very own home), I'm all for that, however, gallivanting around with a gun fastened to your hip isn't in my view sane, well-adjusted, or in keeping with modern day progression.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Castle Doctrine, however, when it comes to protecting oneself and family (in ones very own home), I'm all for that, however, gallivanting around with a gun fastened to your hip isn't in my view sane, well-adjusted, or in keeping with modern day progression.
The SYG is the basically the same thing. Both can be summed up in single sentence.

You have the right to defend yourself with deadly force anyplace you may lawfully be, if the killing is justified to defend yourself law enforcement cannot second what actions you have taken.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
That's exactly my point becsue the media and the anti-gun crowd have completely misrepresented what these laws are. They are the ones with blood on their hands.
I disagree... What about the case that just took place in the States, where a black woman shot an unarmed man outside her car? I mean if that case doesn't clearly define how out of touch people are with reality, then I don't know what does, and affording people even more unrestricted access to delivering deadly acts through the SYG law is IMO, as careless and irresponsible as it gets.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:04 PM

I'm most grateful such laws don't exist here in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies