Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:22 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I always wondered why the US can't make anything anymore. Our dollar is not very strong at all. Germany, Japan, Canada, and Britain all have stronger currency and all manage to export goods. I wonder why the US has such a hard time competing.
I'm not an economics guy, so I might be misunderstanding your argument, but I do know that the Canadian and US dollars are pretty much at par (it favours you to the tune of four cents on the dollar this morning). It's not currency, it's the outsourcing of jobs. It's nothing new, it's been happening for decades.

If you want my advice, become a plumber. You can't outsource plumbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 11:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
This is what a move to a service economy does.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No way. Obama controls the weather, what song comes on the radio next, and the shape of that cloud outside your window.
And if not stopped soon, he will destroy the world just by staring at it with his laser vision! ...Lol

Old 08-03-2013, 11:12 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
What specific liberal/Democrat policies encourage the growth of part-time, low paying jobs, while simultaneously resulting in the number of full-time, higher paying jobs staying flat and/or declining? Also, how would certain conservative/Republican policies affect the growth of each type of job?

Sounds like somebody doesn't like Obama and therefore blames him and his types for bad news.

Debate score: 10%
Obamacare encourages the growth of part time jobs. That's a Democratic disaster...er I mean policy

Old 08-03-2013, 11:25 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
0bamaCare is designed specifically to kill the incentive to hire full time employees, and to limit the number of full time employees.
I wouldn't say specifically, but its bad for business. I'm for Universal Healthcare, but it shouldn't come at the expense of employers. There's more than enough to cover it if cuts were made in other areas.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This is what a move to a service economy does.
It was not as in your face when we had easy credit and inflating assets.
People lived on debt and didn't notice. HELOCs were a way of life for the middle class and lower class and even the poor. Someone with NO job could get a home and mortgage for over 100% of the value.

But once the bottom fell out reality reared it's ugly head..Americans can't afford to live in America.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was not as in your face when we had easy credit and inflating assets.
People lived on debt and didn't notice. HELOCs were a way of life for the middle class and lower class and even the poor. Someone with NO job could get a home and mortgage for over 100% of the value.

But once the bottom fell out reality reared it's ugly head..Americans can't afford to live in America.

??? how do the poor get HELOCs? i had a job and i couldn't get a mortgage, what's up with that?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
don't play stupid
You're the one being stupid here are you playing at it or just being yourself?

Companies have played the 'temp' game for many years before Obama was even known outsider his family. And it's hardly a temp job when a company has a 'temp' workers doing the same jobs as regular employees for more than 10 years, it's a weasly way around paying full wages and benefits, nothing more.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? how do the poor get HELOCs? i had a job and i couldn't get a mortgage, what's up with that?
California was the place to be for that.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:

That is not the point being made here, and you know it.

Companies like Walmart and McDonalds were giving their employees health care, and giving them more hours, way before the disastrous 0bamaCare became law. Union members were were also getting health insurance, long before 0bamaCare.

Then 0bamaCare became law, and it forced companies like McDonalds, and unions to drop their health care insurance. If they were well connected enough, and lucky enough, these employers were able to go on bended knee before 0bama and beg for a coveted 0bamaCare waiver, or else drop health care insurance for their employees.

Now it's 2013 and more 0bamaCare law is going into effect, forcing employers to cut employee hours, or fire employees, all to avoid these new fees and expenses forced upon them by this stupid law.

Thanks to 0bama's non-existent economic policies, and his destructive 0bamaCare - Out of the 953,000 Jobs Created In 2013, 731,000 Are Part-Time!

If 0bamacare was not the law, a lot more employees would have jobs, more would have have full time jobs, and more would have health care insurance. This includes college students too. since 0bamaCare became law, many of the low cost health insurance plans these students enjoyed have been eliminated, and costs for insurance have skyrocketed.
That is such total bunk. I don't care what point you think you are TRYING to make - both Wal Mart and McDonalds - have been big, big fans of part-time employees for a long, long time. They didn't want to pay employee insurance then and they don't now. Nothing has changed.

Your argument just doesn't hold water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies