Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 06:02 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times

Advertisements

There have been and are a lot of children and adults that are hungry in America.

I found this program of interest - The Faces of America's Hungry.

Hopefully, an insightful, compassionate, respectful, and intellectual conversation (or just thought) will be the result of this information.

Encore: The Faces of America

Last edited by Naturen; 08-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: problems with original posting of new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,125,463 times
thumbs down.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
So why do the liberals want open borders and unlimited numbers of impoverished people coming in if Americans are going hungry?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:00 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
I do not believe the claim that 50 million Americans go hungry not with EBT at a all time high and they give it to any American that qualifies. I love the intro where they show a bunch of people eating and a couple filling up a trunk of a car with groceries. I am just wondering when was the last time someone starved to death and why? With the gvt and private charity I do not think we have a hunger problem. Looking at the populace it looks like the opposite we have a obesity problem instead.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I do not believe the claim that 50 million Americans go hungry not with EBT at a all time high and they give it to any American that qualifies. I love the intro where they show a bunch of people eating and a couple filling up a trunk of a car with groceries. I am just wondering when was the last time someone starved to death and why? With the gvt and private charity I do not think we have a hunger problem. Looking at the populace it looks like the opposite we have a obesity problem instead.
50 Million people do not go hungry per the Census.

Liberals make a false assumption that poverty = going hungry, 1/6th of the country is in poverty and 1/6th of 300 million equals 50 million people going hungry.

However, 80% of people in poverty self-reported to the census that they never had to go hungry during the past year due to the many food programs at the national, state, city, and even church level. Only 5.9% of those in poverty claimed to sometimes not have enough food and 1.5% of those in poverty claimed to often not have enough food over the past 4 months. Much of these people were homeless...truly destitute people. If you have a home, you most likely reported that you NEVER had to go hungry over the past YEAR.

I know someone on WIC that gives away food.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 08-03-2013 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 11:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
50 Million people do not go hungry per the Census.

Liberals make a false assumption that poverty = going hungry, 1/6th of the country is in poverty and 1/6th of 300 million equals 50 million people going hungry.

However, 80% of people in poverty self-reported to the census that they never had to go hungry during the past year due to the many food programs at the national, state, city, and even church level.

I know someone on WIC that gives away food.
Do you have a source for that? Also, if that is accurate, that still means that 20 % of people in poverty did go hungry during the past year.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:55 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do you have a source for that? Also, if that is accurate, that still means that 20 % of people in poverty did go hungry during the past year.
Click the link, look at the footnote to the US Census.

The point is not that no one goes hungry.

The point is that people are misrepresenting, probably unintentionally, reality -- they are vastly exaggerating the amount of people going hungry. NOT everyone in poverty is going hungry per their own words to the US Census.

If only 1.5% of those in poverty self-report to go hungry often and 5.9% sometimes go hungry...that destroys the claim that all 50+ million people in poverty are going hungry. You are now looking at 3.74 Million people that sometimes/often go hungry in the past 4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies