Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I not only think it has a chance it is driven by the reality of unsustainable reality. We also see it in Europe even more as they have gone to near edge of unsustainable and many have actually had economies collapse in real terms.
The EU nations are not monetarily sovereign and have given up certain economic strengths and ability to fight recessions and wars as a result. As long as our own economy is weak I don't think a fiscal conservative will win the day. Maybe when things are more stable, or we have a war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What's a true conservative?' Why do you care? You wouldn't ever vote for anyone with an R next to their name.

" And why aren't you trying to get them elected now?'

Why do you ask ignorant questions?
I have voted for people with an R next to their name because there are some decent Republicans out there. Why is it an ignorant question? Is it because you can't answer what a true conservative is?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I would like to know what you think a true conservative is.
I would think those Republicans that are getting elected and waving the conservative banner with the support of the conservatives in the country would be a true conservative. It is sad to think that you guys can't even elect people you like. It is as if you hold your nose when voting for a Republican while not voting for someone you would consider a true conservative.

As a liberal, I don't keep thinking, if only a true liberal would run because I already know true liberals do run for office.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:29 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would think those Republicans that are getting elected and waving the conservative banner with the support of the conservatives in the country would be a true conservative. It is sad to think that you guys can't even elect people you like. It is as if you hold your nose when voting for a Republican while not voting for someone you would consider a true conservative.

As a liberal, I don't keep thinking, if only a true liberal would run because I already know true liberals do run for office.
It is sad you like the people you elect.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You mean like before the Clinton era repeal of Glass Steagall in 1999?
no, reinstating Glass-Steagall won't eliminate excessive private-sector dollar creation. It's just one piece of legislation. The Federal Reserve act of 1913 is a bigger problem.

Quote:
Yeah, that was so long ago, right?
People have been arguing about central banking for about 400 years now. Some of the decisions we've made along the way have turned out to be bad ideas, and should be revisited.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Good post and a interesting angle and one that I did not take in consideration. I doubt that the banks who own our gvt would go for any re work of the system.
Well it isn't just the banks who'd fight it, it'd be the entire economics profession, from academia to banks to hedge funds, as well as the vast majority of politicians. The idea is a threat to basically everyone with money.

But when the rubber hits the road -- e.g. the Fall 2008 crisis -- you see how they don't even have faith in their own system. They know it is corrupt to the core, nothing more than a pyramid scheme of debt.

Quote:
The other alternative is too get a Volker in the FR chairman seat that will raise interest rates and at the same time make some cuts. Hmmm maybe that is not such a hot idea since it would send the economy into a tail spin. I just wonder if Barnanke has put us inside of a box that we can't get out of with all the QE?
We're screwed.

We need to inflate, but currently our inflation is just captured by the banking system in the form of asset price gains. The Fed makes loans, sure, but those loans aren't finding their way to middle class households.

You're talking about deflating -- maybe that would hurt banks, but it would be damaging policy overall, like cutting off our nose just to spite our face.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
It is sad you like the people you elect.
Yet you seem to hate who you vote for but still vote for them. Talk about having a messed up mindset. No wonder why you guys are always so upset, I am sure you hate yourself for voting for people you hate, why vote at all if that is the case? Or better yet, why not start voting for people you like? That might actually change Congress for the better if conservatives stated voting for conservatives they liked rather than people they hate as long as they aren't Democrats....that just sounds stupid.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There is no such thing as a fiscal conservative. Well, there is, but they are all "fiscal conservatism for thee but not for me"
Exactly. Conservatives ALWAYS want to spend, spend, spend on the things which personally help them or which they like and they only want to cut things which effect other people they don't like. Frankly, only a moron believes their lie that they actually want small government because they have NEVER, not even once, delivered. Worse because they so hate government (yet bizarrely want to spend their life in government) they are terrible at running government and just see it as a cash machine for the enrichment of themselves and their crony friends. Which is why corruption and kickbacks always increase whenever a Republican is elected.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Exactly. Conservatives ALWAYS want to spend, spend, spend on the things which personally help them or which they like and they only want to cut things which effect other people they don't like. Frankly, only a moron believes their lie that they actually want small government because they have NEVER, not even once, delivered. Worse because they so hate government (yet bizarrely want to spend their life in government) they are terrible at running government and just see it as a cash machine for the enrichment of themselves and their crony friends. Which is why corruption and kickbacks always increase whenever a Republican is elected.
That is why conservatives vote for them yet hate voting for them. They are a really messed up party with all their self hatred.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I actually am a conservative and it makes me want to hurl every time some idiot politician claims to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies